Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
And I can live in your basement?
Oh I'm sure Tim Tebow has a nice friend we can introduce you to and then you can get married and we can live next door to each other behind our dog training facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestPhin View Post
After you get going on that front, as others have said, I would also very strongly recommend finding a trainer in your area that follows your own personal methodology. Whether you use more "traditional" methods, or are looking for someone who is a clicker trainer, talk to them, attend their group classes if possible, and if you like how they do things, THEN find out if they offer any sort of apprenticeship program.
I want to ditto this. If you are working for somebody else, it can be an interesting situation when your methodology is different. When I teach my own classes, it is less of a big deal, but when I come in and sub for somebody and see students walking around jerking their dogs all over the place, I can't tell them not to do that, because their other instructor has told them to issue major collar corrections. It would be easier if I was teaching somewhere that everybody was positive based rather than corrections based, or if it was my own facility where everybody would be positive based - but that's not the case.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog