The Venting Thread

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know here, they'll give you 3 or 6 months (I forget how much) worth, and then to get more you have to go for a papsmear.
When I was in college I missed one and they gave me 6 months for the time being. Maybe they'll go for that. We have to get annual papsmears.

I already have been diagnosed for about 4 years now. There's no question I have PCOS, just am not being treated at the moment. I've already had two pelvic ultrasounds. Last one was pointless as it was like 'yep you are right. You have Pcos like we said years ago'.

joce

I have always had to have a pap first. Remembering arguing with a dr about it at 16!

My dr is going to start me on the metfromin after the baby. She thinks the only reason I got pregnant was because i had been doing the on and off bc to keep my cycle steady.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
What is the point of the smear before they will prescribe..........? :confused:
In a lot of places in North America, they essentially just do it to force testing for cervical cancer and STIs before giving you the pill.

It's silly. I have no issues getting a preventative routine pap/gyno exam every few years, but to have to get one to get contraception is stupid IMO.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I always forget that September is when I bought my car, so my insurance and registration and stuff is always due in September on top of all my regular bills.

My bank account is a tiny bit scary right now.

There is a job I want to apply for and I was feeling kind of sad and guilty thinking of applying for it, because I really like my co-workers and I don't want to leave them in the lurch or anything. My bank account now has me like APPLY FOR THE JOB DO IT DO IT NOW.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
In a lot of places in North America, they essentially just do it to force testing for cervical cancer and STIs before giving you the pill.

It's silly. I have no issues getting a preventative routine pap/gyno exam every few years, but to have to get one to get contraception is stupid IMO.
I know what's up with that? Jerks.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Holy ****, I'm watching a season finale of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix, and it is goiong to cause me to have a heart attack. Jesus.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

It's ridiculous. I mean... I wasn't even initially prescribed bc even for the birth control part.

I think a papsmear every few years would be enough.

Anyways, rescheduled my appt for the 18th. Kind of annoyed but whatever.

crazedACD

Waaaah, I'm sick of car shopping. No more please. It's starting to become torture.

Oh, and no haggle pricing? I don't like that. At all. I got a way better price on the ones that do 'haggle'.

DJEtzel

This is what I noticed too and after my pap smear last year they did a biopsy on me because they thought I had cervical cancer. The doctor who did it asked why I had the Pap smear to begin with (and mine don't even check for STDs!) and said that there was definitely no cancer, I was normal, and American doctors were crazy for telling me I needed one before birth control. So he said to come back to him every few years and he'd write me the script in the mean time.

So I guess there are doctors out there who don't require it.. Just have to look around! I'm glad I stumbled upon this guy. Haha.

Airn

This is what I noticed too and after my pap smear last year they did a biopsy on me because they thought I had cervical cancer. The doctor who did it asked why I had the Pap smear to begin with (and mine don't even check for STDs!) and said that there was definitely no cancer, I was normal, and American doctors were crazy for telling me I needed one before birth control. So he said to come back to him every few years and he'd write me the script in the mean time.

So I guess there are doctors out there who don't require it.. Just have to look around! I'm glad I stumbled upon this guy. Haha.
Oddly enough, I just went to a new doctor and he said they don't require a pap until you're at least 21. He just talked to me and answered my questions, basically. Then he gave me a script for a year's worth of BC. I'm sure I'll need one next year, since I'll be 21 but he didn't seem like the type to want one done every year, unless there was a reason.

I also know several who just send in a new script at the year mark, instead of having the patient come in. They prefer them to come in, but not all require it.

Saeleofu

I'd Much rather deal with going in for a pap smear every few years than cancer. Just sayin'.
Pap smears don't prevent cancer. If you're going to get cancer, you're going to get it regardless of whether you get pap smears every year. Pap smears just screen for it.

Airn

Pap smears don't prevent cancer. If you're going to get cancer, you're going to get it regardless of whether you get pap smears every year. Pap smears just screen for it.
Right, but screening for it means something that isn't treatable after...two years, could be after one year.

joce

Mine still insists on yearly pelvic even if no pap is done. Ugh.

The pap is supposed to catch abnormal cells early so you can be treated. No test=not finding out until way to late.

Members online