Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Well, to be fair, most of the time, the owner of a company being reviewed is not a member of the forum where said review is taking place and don't get to defend their products. If someone posts "I really hate Hartz"for example, no one says "that's not nice, the manufacturer isn't here to defend their products". There will ALWAYS be good and bad reviews for any company..it's just part of having a business.
Sorry to double post, but yes, this. If suddenly we can't post bad reviews on companies because they aren't here to defend themselves... what's the point of asking for reviews?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Well, to be fair, most of the time, the owner of a company being reviewed is not a member of the forum where said review is taking place and don't get to defend their products. If someone posts "I really hate Hartz"for example, no one says "that's not nice, the manufacturer isn't here to defend their products". There will ALWAYS be good and bad reviews for any company..it's just part of having a business.
Truth.

Sally has a plain Weaver leather collar. Jack has a Remington water proof in a lovely shade of "Don't Shoot Me" orange and a leather collar I got at a dog show a couple of years ago decorated with parts of two 12 gauge shot gun shells and "built in" ID tag.

They're all great collars and if I want to dress them up I slap on a bandana on the dog in question--No fuss, no muss, no drama

Honestly though, I've never been into the collar thing much. As long as they durable, can stand up to the dynamic doggy duo while still being comfortable, and are not butt ugly I'm a happy camper.

ETA: Though I don't buy Paco or EL type collars, I would give EL a shot if I were in the market for one. I like their designs better than Paco in general, and I know Becca from a a different dog board and got a very good trainer recommendation from her for Sally's dog issues. BTW, I only mention Paco and EL together because they are the only leather collar companies whose collars I've looked into.

That having been said, I don't discount Jessie's or anyone else's bad experience with EL, nor to I chalk it up to some sort of elaborate subversive plot to smear the company. Stuff like this happens. For example, we are having our roof done this year. We went on Angie's list and called some of the top rated roofers in our area. We had bad experiences with 2 of them. At the time I was very ticked about it, because they had acted unprofessionally and wasted our time. I'm not angry about it now, but you can bet that if someone asks me my opinion about these companies they will get an earful about our negative experience. Lots of people had good experiences with them, but we did not. This does not mean that we imagined the issues that we had with them or have some sort of personal beef with the company, it just means that in our case they acted poorly.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Last edited by sillysally; 09-05-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNola View Post
Thanks for the opinions and experiences, everyone. I've decided not to purchase from them.
FWIW, the negative reviews I've seen of EL collars, have been small collars. For whatever reason (possibly just because of size, or different leather, or something), people with larger dogs don't tend to have the same issues.

Which, I know, isn't helpful since you have a small dog. But may be worth it to visit again in the future if you get a larger dog, if you're interested.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Glutton for Crazy

At the collar class the small dog collars were WAY harder to make. Tiny rivets that slip and twist in your hands, cramped designs, etc. I now respect small collar much more and I'm almost shocked they aren't more expensive even if it is less material.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
At the collar class the small dog collars were WAY harder to make. Tiny rivets that slip and twist in your hands, cramped designs, etc. I now respect small collar much more and I'm almost shocked they aren't more expensive even if it is less material.
I'd believe it! The conchos on the collar that was sent for Rascal (Paco collar) also had issues with the chonchos coming loose with minimal wear (it was only used as a bracelet), and when I emailed, it seemed to be a fairly common problem, as well.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
FWIW, the negative reviews I've seen of EL collars, have been small collars. For whatever reason (possibly just because of size, or different leather, or something), people with larger dogs don't tend to have the same issues.

Which, I know, isn't helpful since you have a small dog. But may be worth it to visit again in the future if you get a larger dog, if you're interested.
I've noticed this as well with EL based on reviews and opinions of products. Food for thought I guess! What Adrienne said is interesting too. Makes sense to me, smaller collars seem like they'd be way more difficult.

I love my EL rope leads, use them all the time, very worth what I paid and would happily order a lead from them again. Not much I can say about the collars personally. I have noticed throughout this thread that the people taking the opinions to heart are all people who are friends personally with Becca and Ben, and I think that's heavily affecting how they feel about the opinions presented. Some of the opinions are very harsh, yes, but people are allowed to have harsh opinions about a company. There's a lot of positive opinions about EL here, too.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

At the end of the day,the OP has made up her mind and whatever we say,won't change anything.

Now,if people are dissatisfied,they should say so but if the others are happy,you should also know,about it.Neither are wrong and a good company should expect that and not lower herself,to be verbally abusive cos some clients are unhappy.Their job is to make them happy so that they will come back.The client makes or breaks,a brand and once,it has a bad rep,it's tough to change it.

BTW,I have some crappy Petsmart leather collars and they work just as well as a PC or EL collar without the hurrendous price tag of the other 2 so wouldn't spit,on them but they are plain.

These are the one,I use when they go swimming and never had a problem.

I did read Dana's letter before buying the EL tag collar but as I had a gift card,for that amount,I got it and I dont regret it.
I,even,got a 2nd one so can't be that bad.

Price does not always indicate quality but consumer service does and PC has,always,been amazing,with me.

I make plain leather leashes and choke collars so yes,you could say,I copied them.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Top Dog

I'm kind of confused why this thread is any different than the MDM tag thread a few days back. I mean, they're just honest reviews and experiences with a company, their product and their service. This thread (like most EL threads) seems to have gotten extremely personal.

Some people like the product, some don't.
Some people have had extremely good experience with the company, so didn't.

There ya go.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I'm kind of confused why this thread is any different than the MDM tag thread a few days back. I mean, they're just honest reviews and experiences with a company, their product and their service. This thread (like most EL threads) seems to have gotten extremely personal.

Some people like the product, some don't.
Some people have had extremely good experience with the company, so didn't.

There ya go.
I think that because Becca was a well liked poster here before and now has chosen to no longer post due to some collar drama people are getting their feathers extra ruffled. However, that does not mean that they are right to react that way-people should be able to get honest opinions about a collar company (or any company) without it being a drama fest every time.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Top Dog

Well, regardless of the other opinions, we love our EL collars here. Everyone in theirs awhile back:

FWIW, they swim in them too and none have ever bled. I have a vegan one that I mainly use for swimming and it still looks great.