Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Not a Border Collie

The dogs we had when I was quite young (2 Aussies and a Collie) were all purchased from breeders. They were all wonderful and patient dogs!

When I was a little older, probably around 8 or 9, my mom started rescuing more. She'd pull herding breed dogs on the euthanasia list and rehome them. We had a couple go through that would have been suitable for a home with kids, so it definitely is possible. I do agree that you'd better your odds by going through a reputable rescue that puts dogs in foster homes though

Or get an English Shepherd LOL! I so hope that Quinn is still around if/when I have kids. I was raised by the best dogs ever (I learned to walk by holding onto the Collie's coat to hold myself up, and he would sloooooowly walk around the house with me) and I want to give that to my kids.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Let it be

There has been a lot of talk abt adding a pit bull. We aren't in a rush but I don't want all the kids to be teens before we add anpther. I think a breed rescue could work. Matbe I will contact some and see what their adopting process is like.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I think its also important to say that the KIDS have to be taught to be good around the DOG as well. It can't all fall on the dog / owner, the guardian / caretaker of the kids must also pick up the slack in regards to management.

poking, prodding pushing, pulling shouldn't be an issue because they shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I think its also important to say that the KIDS have to be taught to be good around the DOG as well. It can't all fall on the dog / owner, the guardian / caretaker of the kids must also pick up the slack in regards to management.

poking, prodding pushing, pulling shouldn't be an issue because they shouldn't be allowed to happen.
I think you also have to take into consideration things happen. My kids ignore bandit 90% of the time but he as accidentally been poked, prodded, woken up from sleeping etc. No one is being a butt to him on purpose that's life with kids.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

None of my childhood dogs came from ideal places, but all of the dogs we had growing up were excellent family dogs. And none of them came from the greatest of places (rehomes, bybs). But thankfully all of them were just really patient, stable, nice dogs and my mom put a lot of time and training into them, and I think also just growing up around my brother and I helped the few puppies we had grow into kid friendly dogs. And we were also really good dog kids, but still, I think those dogs would have been good family dogs regardless.

Now as an adult, to increase my chances of success, I'd seek out either a well bred puppy, an adult dog from a breeder if it was a possibility, or a dog from a reputable rescue organization who has been fostered. Basically, I'd seek out a dog from somebody with a lot of experience and knowledge of their dogs, be it a rescue or a breeder.

Also: It might not always be typical for the breed depending on where the dog is from/how it was raised/what kind of lines, but Journey would be an amazing family dog. She is incredible with kids and situations in general. I chalk that all up to good genetics with some help from me as far as raising goes. But seriously, one of the best kid dogs I've ever been around, and easily puts up with the hustle and bustle of child activity as well. I don't plan on having kids anytime even close to the near future, if ever at this point, but if I ever do, I hope that she is still around. She'd be such a wonderful dog to raise kids around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I so hope that Quinn is still around if/when I have kids.
And totally off topic, but I saw this after my reply and I am pretty sure that Journey and Quinn are the same dog in different suits haha. So many things sound so similar.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I think you also have to take into consideration things happen. My kids ignore bandit 90% of the time but he as accidentally been poked, prodded, woken up from sleeping etc. No one is being a butt to him on purpose that's life with kids.
DOG ABUSE!!!!!

Toddlers are just so freakin' fast!!!! My little guy's new thing is holding on to the dogs' tails and toddling behind them giggling like a maniac as they walk. The only thing it does is prevent them from wagging, thank God.

And we DO discourage that, but stuff happens.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Let it be

Lol I step on him a fair bit too. Bad me

But I do agree yo need t be aware of your kids and teach them good manners to the animals.,
Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I wasn't referencing the "stuff happens" variable. I was emphising that not everyone reins in their kids like "real" dog people they just expect the dog to "take it". It you give the dog rules, the kid needs to have rules too.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

Consider a coonhound . Most people don't, but they are social, patient, thoroughly non-temperamental, and will take a lot more from kids than the average dog, and happily at that.

Uncle Fred was great with kids- and because of his early life he was ver serious and gentle about it. Garnett is a big goof- and lives to wrestle with the kids and make crazy hound noises at them. My kids adore him- and so do all the kids around here including the severely artistic boy up the block.

At eight months he plays frisbee with anyone who's willing, lives happily with six cats, gets along with other dogs. He does, however like to use that voice. And he has a lot more vocal variety than Uncle Fred did.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I wasn't referencing the "stuff happens" variable. I was emphising that not everyone reins in their kids like "real" dog people they just expect the dog to "take it". It you give the dog rules, the kid needs to have rules too.
Oh totally. I have been on this forum awhile (well before having kids) and have learned a lot both from here and living with animals + kids. It's always a good message to repeat though. It's a two way street like any other relationship. Both needs to have rules and respect for each other.