Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Expect some separation anxiety with viszla or pointers...every one I've ever known has had some level of it, ranging from mild to terrifyingly destructively anxious.

Other than that, they're all breeds I really like and fit your requirements. Pointers can get quite large, though. I think of them as large breed and viszlas and brittanys as medium sized dogs.

Springer spaniels are a breed that I often recommend as good with kids. They LOVE children, generally speaking. Can be a bit wary of strangers, though.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Vizsla mom

Penn has minor SA. We knew there was a chance of it though so we would crate her all throughout day, for random times. Like, washing dishes? Crate! Running to the car for a minute? Crate! Going to the mall for a few hours? Crate! And eventually she realized that a. we were always coming back& b. the time we were gone was rarely exceedingly long.

So, while she'll always be a crated dog due to I think she'd be slightly anxious& likely to be destructive, she will happily curl up in her kennel without barking or whining her head off.

Example: today she was crated 10hrs because I ended up having to hold a staff meeting then did supper& shopping with a coworker. She was a MANIAC for the hour after I got home but now she's settled down again& her regular self.

Re: other breeds. If you are looking into pointers more than a retriever, I'd say stay with that. There's 2 Vizslas in the Maritimes who compete& do very well in agility with lots of drive& both have their AtChC titles. There were 3 Vizslas that qualified to go to Nationals& 1 that actually went. And that's with not many Vizslas competing in general.. they aren't a common breed. Penn has drive, will work distances& is fairly consistent with her handler focus. It's nowhere near a BC, but that's part of genetics. If you're looking to win at worlds, probably not the best breed choice (although there were two at EO& both did very well) but if you're looking for a dog that suits your lifestyle& you like the breed with some agility on the side, I'd say stay with your top picks! Also, sorry for the novel!

Last edited by yv0nne; 09-03-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Fixing wording
Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Thanks guys!

And, as the owner of a dog currently in remission from the worst SA ever, I can say that attachment issues don't scare me. But good point!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
Thanks guys!

And, as the owner of a dog currently in remission from the worst SA ever, I can say that attachment issues don't scare me. But good point!
Well. Which ever you decide to go with, you can't go wrong with any of the ones you've listed in my books all fabulous dogs and sometimes overlooked I think!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Expect some separation anxiety with viszla or pointers...every one I've ever known has had some level of it, ranging from mild to terrifyingly destructively anxious.

Pointers can get quite large, though.
IME field bred english pointers don't seem to have it, the only time they get bent about you leaving is if you're going hunting w/o them. But I haven't experienced them as house pets either.
Again field bred English pointers are not big dogs most are 40-50#. Anything over 60 is looked at as a freak of nature.