Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

Most everyone I work with has a golden. They are all so easy and boring and i don't feel that tug on my heart when i look at them.

Darryl's best friend's parents have a golden. He loves everyone, he's active but also calm. He's super handsome and if I WAS going to get one, I would want it to be like him. But his name is Forrest Gump. For all the reasons you're thinking.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Eeuw golden vs the other breeds you listed... No comparison!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I knowwwww. They're so boring!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I have known some awesomely driven, energetic, and crazy goldens. That said I don't think I would own one and I used to think I would want one for my mellow old dog.

Maybe you need a flat coat for a compromise?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
I would easily take a golden over any of the breeds listed. Different strokes. *shrug*
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I would easily take a golden over any of the breeds listed. Different strokes. *shrug*
Same here. The good ones I know are phenomenal dogs. I'm okay with "vanilla" if it's a good fit. I've known a dozen or more goldens I'd be hard-pressed to turn down if I were offered; I've yet to meet a pointer or spaniel that didn't set my teeth on edge. It's all in what you like!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Same here. The good ones I know are phenomenal dogs. I'm okay with "vanilla" if it's a good fit. I've known a dozen or more goldens I'd be hard-pressed to turn down if I were offered; I've yet to meet a pointer or spaniel that didn't set my teeth on edge. It's all in what you like!
Exactly, so if you're considering Brittany, pointer or vizla, not sure a golden would hit the spot at all!!! They're all gundogs, sure, but..... No.

Most of the goldens I have encountered have either been dullards, bumbling along with no real drive, or insane stupid (or maybe just badly trained).

And the hair, OMG, the hair.

I really don't enjoy hairy dogs... I really don't enjoy being covered in fluff at all. Having little cotton balls all over the place. Tuft that just come off in your hand, cling to everything... Eeuw. Not that fred hair is nice, it's sharp and sticky. Bodhi doesn't shed like a lab or golden either, although does have a thicker double coat.

Just don't seem like comparable breeds to me, but I'm coming at it from my owns tastes of course!!! Each to their own! This is a thread for opinions after all
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Interestingly, I disliked Goldens a lot when I was teaching classes; I think, as Adrienne pointed out, people just get them and assume they are going to grow into nice dogs even if they don't work with them. I saw so many I didn't like. But getting into agility and dog sports in general has introduced me to a whole new type of Golden that I do like a lot.

But yes, definitely different from the other gun dogs listed! I suppose it's like comparing Border Collies and Corgis and GSD because they are all herding dogs.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm All Ears

I know I said this the last thread but of all the gundog breeds the goldens were easily the most consistent, drivey agility dogs I see around here. Labs are probably number 2. There were some dang nice labs this weekend, including one show type tank. Kick butt agility dog. At AKC nationals goldens were one of the most populous agility Breeds of any group. I really don't get how they're boring sports dogs.

Vizsla are pretty nice though. Haven't seen much drive in GSPs honestly and weims especially seem really freaky. Only watched one English pointer run and it was decent. Still haven't seen any pointer breed hold up to the fast goldens.

I probably wouldn't own any of the breeds so no skin off my back either way. Just bringing up the other side a bit.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Exactly, so if you're considering Brittany, pointer or vizla, not sure a golden would hit the spot at all!!! They're all gundogs, sure, but..... No.
This. I know sooooooo many goldens. I work at a vet clinic. Nearly half the canine patients are goldens. (Kidding, but sometimes it feels that way).

They're great dogs. They're calm and sweet and affectionate and friendly and fun. But they have no sass! I like a little sass!