Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Vizsla mom

Onpoint!!! Liz Outram for a Vizzy in Ontario They are just outside Kingston, Ontario& super great dogs. I haven't met her but she works closely with my breeder& seems like a great person.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I hope someone adds info about Brittany's. I think they look fab dogs, but I don't know a huge amount about them. The ones I have seen have been more roan colour than the parti colour. And I thought they were very very cute. I like the idea of a smaller dog, I like gun dogs, but I hate cockers for their hair. Brittany's seem to have manageable hair. I just don't know anything about their personalities.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I hope someone adds info about Brittany's. I think they look fab dogs, but I don't know a huge amount about them. The ones I have seen have been more roan colour than the parti colour. And I thought they were very very cute. I like the idea of a smaller dog, I like gun dogs, but I hate cockers for their hair. Brittany's seem to have manageable hair. I just don't know anything about their personalities.
They're probably the breed out of the four that I know the most about, being the most common of the four at our clinic.

I quite like the ones I know but I prefer the wash-and-wear type coat of the other breeds.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

Obviously you should just get one of each. The end.

Ok, my mom's boss has a V. He had herders for a while (mainly ES), then he started to focus more on hunting and had...man, he was a pointer of some type, not sure what. Now, with his kids getting older and more involved with the dogs he wanted something that he could hunt with and his daughter could do 4H obedience type stuff with. He ended up with a V who he adores.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Obviously you should just get one of each. The end.
LOL! I can't even get dh excited for ONE!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Fishies!

There are GSP (maybe 'English' too) that won't be a downsize. Even the V might not easily fit in the crate, lighter, yes, but they can be leggy.

Even the show line Brits don't look too bad on coat. Some trouble with sticker bushes, but nothing like a setter or show golden.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Duuuuude.

I'll post more in depth after we go to the dog park, but two things about Brits:

My Brittany is GREAT with cats indoors. He loves them. Outside? If they're at any distance at all, they're prey, period, same as bunnies or squirrels. He did meet a strange cat that was very close to us outside one time, and was perfectly polite, but that's the only time that's ever happened. As far as I know he was not raised around cats.

As far as the coat, I LOVE Rowan's coat because it's fuzzy which I prefer over completely smooth, but I would still call it wash & wear. I've gone months and months without brushing him, no problem. On occasion he gets tiny little mats on his leg feathers (the ones on the outsides of his legs, not at the back near his tail) but they're incredibly easy get rid of. The only maintenance I do for him is trimming the extra fur that grows on the end of his tail, and I neaten his feet every so often. Neither one of those is actually necessary, I just prefer how it looks. His coat is a little bit shorter than a lot of the other Brits I've met but from everything that I've read they're still pretty easy dogs in terms of grooming.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
There are GSP (maybe 'English' too) that won't be a downsize. Even the V might not easily fit in the crate, lighter, yes, but they can be leggy.

Even the show line Brits don't look too bad on coat. Some trouble with sticker bushes, but nothing like a setter or show golden.
The Pointers I've met are tall dogs. Bigger than the gsp but much finer boned. But deffo NOT small dogs by any leap of the imagination.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Realize also, ime, the gundogs like herders can squeeze more easily than bullies.

My malinois tuck into small crates happily.

If a Pointer is on the list get one. They're quiet possibly the most beautiful dog breed, ever.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

You're right, there's a GSP at my clinic who is 96lbs. Huge!

I just like how fast a single coated dog dries. I know a Brittany isn't a collie or anything but I am guessing they won't dry quite as fast? But I DO like how much easier it is cleaning up longer hair than the short, stick-straight hairs.

Also, Obi, my current dog, would kill a car outside if he could catch one so that is what I'm used to. It just seems a lot of the GSPs on pet finder say "no cats".