Vizslas, pointers and Brittanys, oh my!

Considering these three breeds for my next dog, looking to compare and contrast!

Looking for a dog that's good with kids, dogs and people in general.

Looking for a dog that can do dock dogs and possibly agility.

Looking to downsize from our current 80lb boxer mix to something that can fit in a crate in my SUV.

Looking for something that can accompany me off leash hiking. (Obviously with proper recall training).

I have met several dogs of each breed at the clinic where I work but I want to hear the nitty gritty details.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Of the three breeds, the vizslas seem to make the best agility dogs. I don't know if that's standard around everywhere but they seem a lot more consistent around here. My trainer has a V and there's some nice ones in the area. Don't know a whole lot about them though so probably not very helpful.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I own a Vizsla& we do agility. She's 13 months now ..I have videos of her training if you're interested?

Penn is FABULOUS with kids. We got her used to them early& while she's bad at jumping up at adults or bigger (teen) kids, she has only once jumped on our 3yr old nephew, he toppled over, got startled& cried& it was like she knew. Ever since than, she never even tries. She spent last night at a huge local festival being pat by tons of children. Some were still in strollers& some where 10+ and she didn't even make an attempt to hop up on them! Such a good girly.

Next summer, Penn will be doing dock diving! She was signed up for an event this summer but then got kennel cough& I had to pull her. She will jump off a dock with 0 issues. We regularly go to the beach& she will swim out just to swim ..not to chase anything, just because she loves the water.

Penn is 44lbs, which is the smaller end of the standard (40-55lbs) whereas a male will be about 5- 10lbs heavier. For her weight though she is tall& she is STRONG. Like bull moose strong. We haveee a medium sized varikennel that is fine for the amount of time she's in it in the house but at trials, I have a much larger wire crate so she has room to stretch out, walk around in a bit. She's crated 80% of trial time so only far to her.

Penn is a DREAM off leash. They are not true velcro dogs in that they will happily leave you off leash but one quick whistle or recall word& BOOM. Back by your side. My Border Collie won't go nearly as far away Penn will but she always comes back on a whistle& I was super slack about teaching a recall. I'm not sure about other pointers but Vizslas are breed to work closely with their human so they have a much smaller working distance than a GSP or Weim.

Also something that may be of interest is that they are HIGH ENERGY but in a really different way than a herder. Penn has endless energy& is always willing to go but it's also 12:30PM& she's still curled up on the bed asleep. They have fabulous off switches as long as they are sufficiently exercised (I have one of the highest energy pups my breeder ever tested so there is certainly an option for lower energy Vizzys). Penn gets an average of 3- 4hrs combined of mental& physical exercise. If we skip a day, then she's okay for one day as long as we play fetch in the house or do some tricks, but if we skip two days? Forget it. She is bonkers.

Okay. Novel over!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Oh oh oh oh pick me, pick me, pick me!

German shorthaired pointer.... Love.

I've only owned Fred of course, but part of owning him was being enveloped into the GSP world and being auntie to about a million other GSPs by proxy. So I've come to known lots, and speak to lots of owners and my latest venture has been to organise a GSP meet up for the Facebook group I am part of, which is at the end of the month! Can't wait.

GSPs should be good with other dogs, kids and people. This is part of the expectation, and if the dog isn't, it isn't a desired quality. They are family dogs, and love their people. A lot. They can suffer with separation anxiety because they love their people that much. I've met a few grumbly GSPs at the shows though, who have snarked at other dogs, but this is frowned on. Fred generally likes other dogs, he's never been in a fight other than one time a springer attacked him (he didn't fight back poor baby) but has grumbled at other young intact males. I am chalking this down to hormones and dealing, I don't expect it to be an ongoing thing. Generally speaking though, dog and people friendly.

Fred can be wary of strangers, but once introduced they're generally game for being sniffed, loved and befriended in a very physical way. They are very boisterous and clumsy and play with their feet, so really have to be watched around small kids. They will hurt them with love lol. Fred is great with kids he's met, just a bit of a lump. I imagine being raised with children they would be even better and more cautious.

Dock dogs and agility, well ideal! They're never going to be a border collie, but god they can be fast, and they literally have springs for legs. Fred starts agility in October, and his bro has already started and is top of the class. They're not the same to train as a herder, they're not quick like that. But they do love to please, they love making you happy, but are ever so slightly pig headed and stubborn about it... Lol. Ok a lot. They need to enjoy it. If they aren't enjoying it, or find it boring you will know. And they like rewards :D but they're bright and do well. They can be independent as they were bred to cover huge areas of ground, so you've always got to err on the side of caution! Theyre not typical agility dogs, so I suppose it depends what you want to get out of it. If you want an agility dog, I suppose a collie type will likely out compete a gsp... But they will do well and will love it.

Errr downsizing.... Fred is on the very top end of the standard, like very very top, so he's a large gsp. Not over size, but large. He was 32kg last weigh day, a while ago. That's 70lb. You shouldn't get larger, you can get considerably smaller and bitches are smaller and lighter still. So you would be downsizing. They are solid dogs though, they shouldn't be too fine boned and snipey. They're muscular and fit and solid. You need to look at the lines for an idea of size and it can vary a lot.

Off lead walking will be as reliable as the energy you put in to train recall! They do roam far off the lead. I do still have to lead Fred up at times, if I think there's a hazard near by, or if there's other dogs. He's not 100% reliable. But he is off lead a lot and is improving all the time. Remember he had 3 months off all walking. He loves hunting for bunnies and squirrels, which is fine by me, but I do worry he'd bolt so I keep him on lead near any roads etc etc. He generally behaves if other dogs are in the distance, but we are still learning. They are SLOW to mature, so he's still VERY puppy like at 14 months nearly. He has much better recall that his brother, I don't know why, if its down to training. I've hammered recall into him hard as I also take them off lead. I'd say compared to average joe blogs dogs his recall is GOOD. He comes if he's not too distracted. But he LOVES to smell and run :D we also have an emergency recall whistle which we are still charging, but he comes to that too. I think they make fabulous walking companions, and will adapt to you with training. Remember they are gundogs so should take instruction.

He's totally reliable at home, he doesn't bolt or run away. Our home isn't 100% secure and he'd never disappear. But we don't live in a suburb type area, it's a rural village, so not tons of people or dogs or neighbourhood stuff. Again, I think this is all to do with training and the individual dog. I hear about LOTS who are escape artists and I think this is probably more normal....

What else? They're very very very comical. They're gymnasts. They can squeeze into the weirdest shapes, sleep in the strangest positions. They really do have springs for legs, they are pretty much ALL legs. And feet. And they like to paw.

They can be vocal. I wouldn't say they're barky dogs, but all the ones I've met like to growl and roo when they play or are excited. Fred will alert bark, but often he's driven by bodhi to bark. But when he wants to play he is VERY vocal!!! I'd say he's quiet for the most part in between.

They're not dogs for everyone. They are stubborn, they are energetic, they will drive you mad, but they are ADDICTIVE. Most people I know don't stop at one GSP. Seriously. They wriggle into your heart. They're unbelievably loving dogs. They are workers, and lovers :) they bond hard with you. And they are slow to mature, so it grows over time.

They like to dig. They're not dogs for those with manicured lawns :D they like to dig and they are mischief makers. Fred often steals items and wanders off with them. Shoes, blankets, socks. They can be destructive, but again, training, exercise, stimulation etc.

Fred is fine in his crate, but it has been gone a while now, we have no issues leaving him unattended.

They're just amazing dogs. Characterful dogs. GORGEOUS dogs. Fun, active, comical, serious when they want to be (not really found out when yet lol), loving. Will make you laugh every day at something. Can't stay mad at them. But they do need a serious owner who will put time into training, a little bit every day, good sense of humour, patience, don't mind being jumped on and being physical with a dog. They can be sensitive so positive training works well :) but they are numbskulls so you have to be clever. I don't think they suit weak personalities at all, the dogs I've seen with feeble owners are usually very very naughty and out of control. That's when they get a bad rep.

Generally healthy breed, can be prone to hips, eyes, heart so checks are a bare minimum. Can develop lumps and bumps in old age, can develop cancer etc. but generally longer lived larger dog.

Can you tell I'm smitten?????

Eta, longest reply I've written EVER!!!!!

Also, off switch is good, but you know when he's wired because he gets right up in your face and DEMANDS you play and give attention. He can stay in all day, but expect him to be demanding the next day. You'll get toys shoved at you, your feet chewed etc etc, its not high strung energy, as mentioned!

Another thing, how are they with cats? We have two currently (though once they're gone, we won't get new ones).

Also, good Ontario breeder recommendations? And anyone of any idea of what a pup costs (I'm not looking to score a deal, only looking to plan and budget).

Also, pros/cons of puppy vs adolescent/adult?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
You'll find Brits are smaller, Vs next, and GSP last, on average.

Brits can be the most quirky, Vs can sometimes be flukes and less drivey, and Gsp are the most balanced, purely from my experience working with and living with (GSP) breeds.

All will be crazy fast, crazy squeally, and crazy fun.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Another thing, how are they with cats? We have two currently (though once they're gone, we won't get new ones).

Also, good Ontario breeder recommendations? And anyone of any idea of what a pup costs (I'm not looking to score a deal, only looking to plan and budget).

I know gsps who live happily with cats. Snuggle buddies. I know one who will let the family hamster run all over him... But they are hunting dogs, so I'd be wary around STRANGE cats or small furries. Fred is slightly untested. He met my cat and my parents cat at Xmas. He was very interested, and followed them round wanting to bash them with his feet. I think he would chase given chance. But he hasn't be raised with them. He chases bunnies and the places he's seen the before he obsessively stalks! I think they would need to have lived with cats or be raised from puppy with them, I wouldn't trust a dog that hadn't known cats before at all.

I don't know how much they cost over there, but over here they are usually over £600. Fred was more than that.

I think the same pros cons of puppy vs adult would apply as any other dog or breed. Nothing different. Puppies are a pain in the arse training, but adults can have huge baggage!!! Lol. They're puppies for ages, so a young adult would still need a lot of input and training.

You could just have Fred? In the time I've written all this he's done about 5 laps of the house with a ball in his mouth and given me kisses on my face and made it itch, they have small sharp whiskers and they make me red and itchy when he kisses me!! Which he does a lot. Full on nose in face. He loves to sniff your face all over :)

The neighbours definitely know we have a dog called Fred, as its often being yelled. No Fred, Fred come, leave it. You little ****. No leave your sister alone, oi give that back.. FREEEEDDDD!!!

We wouldn't be without him, but we do have very good senses of humour and don't get stressed by little stuff, like him leaping on the bed or digging the garden or jumping in the car when the doors open, or knocking plants over... Etc etc :D

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy

All will likely be fine with cats if raised carefully.

I would say the pros of a baby are the foundations and bonding and fun but the con is housebreaking.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Onpoint!!! Liz Outram for a Vizzy in Ontario :D They are just outside Kingston, Ontario& super great dogs. I haven't met her but she works closely with my breeder& seems like a great person.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I hope someone adds info about Brittany's. I think they look fab dogs, but I don't know a huge amount about them. The ones I have seen have been more roan colour than the parti colour. And I thought they were very very cute. I like the idea of a smaller dog, I like gun dogs, but I hate cockers for their hair. Brittany's seem to have manageable hair. I just don't know anything about their personalities.

I hope someone adds info about Brittany's. I think they look fab dogs, but I don't know a huge amount about them. The ones I have seen have been more roan colour than the parti colour. And I thought they were very very cute. I like the idea of a smaller dog, I like gun dogs, but I hate cockers for their hair. Brittany's seem to have manageable hair. I just don't know anything about their personalities.
They're probably the breed out of the four that I know the most about, being the most common of the four at our clinic.

I quite like the ones I know but I prefer the wash-and-wear type coat of the other breeds.

Obviously you should just get one of each. The end.

Ok, my mom's boss has a V. He had herders for a while (mainly ES), then he started to focus more on hunting and had...man, he was a pointer of some type, not sure what. Now, with his kids getting older and more involved with the dogs he wanted something that he could hunt with and his daughter could do 4H obedience type stuff with. He ended up with a V who he adores.

There are GSP (maybe 'English' too) that won't be a downsize. Even the V might not easily fit in the crate, lighter, yes, but they can be leggy.

Even the show line Brits don't look too bad on coat. Some trouble with sticker bushes, but nothing like a setter or show golden.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I'll post more in depth after we go to the dog park, but two things about Brits:

My Brittany is GREAT with cats indoors. He loves them. Outside? If they're at any distance at all, they're prey, period, same as bunnies or squirrels. He did meet a strange cat that was very close to us outside one time, and was perfectly polite, but that's the only time that's ever happened. As far as I know he was not raised around cats.

As far as the coat, I LOVE Rowan's coat because it's fuzzy which I prefer over completely smooth, but I would still call it wash & wear. I've gone months and months without brushing him, no problem. On occasion he gets tiny little mats on his leg feathers (the ones on the outsides of his legs, not at the back near his tail) but they're incredibly easy get rid of. The only maintenance I do for him is trimming the extra fur that grows on the end of his tail, and I neaten his feet every so often. Neither one of those is actually necessary, I just prefer how it looks. His coat is a little bit shorter than a lot of the other Brits I've met but from everything that I've read they're still pretty easy dogs in terms of grooming.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
There are GSP (maybe 'English' too) that won't be a downsize. Even the V might not easily fit in the crate, lighter, yes, but they can be leggy.

Even the show line Brits don't look too bad on coat. Some trouble with sticker bushes, but nothing like a setter or show golden.
The Pointers I've met are tall dogs. Bigger than the gsp but much finer boned. But deffo NOT small dogs by any leap of the imagination.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Realize also, ime, the gundogs like herders can squeeze more easily than bullies.

My malinois tuck into small crates happily.

If a Pointer is on the list get one. They're quiet possibly the most beautiful dog breed, ever.

You're right, there's a GSP at my clinic who is 96lbs. Huge!

I just like how fast a single coated dog dries. I know a Brittany isn't a collie or anything but I am guessing they won't dry quite as fast? But I DO like how much easier it is cleaning up longer hair than the short, stick-straight hairs.

Also, Obi, my current dog, would kill a car outside if he could catch one so that is what I'm used to. It just seems a lot of the GSPs on pet finder say "no cats".

Members online