Teaching "Speak"

Pirate is the most vocal dog I know but I cannot for the life of me teach him to bark on command. My other two dogs learned really quickly. I actually played Youtube videos of dogs barking until they barked back. I've tried that. I've tried knocking on the door - because that always makes them all bark. I've watched other Youtube training videos and nothing has worked so far.

Any ideas?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Back tie him and frustrate him with teasing of food or toys. As soon as he barks reward, sometimes you new to start with any peep then up the criteria, once he's barking to get the reward you'll want to start prompting it and be patient.

Thanks, I did try that earlier. He really wasn't into it. I'll try again. I ended up clicking on a couple sneezes. lol

Sure! I've got some chicken in the fridge I'll use next time. Maybe he'll like that better than hard treats. I'm heading out of town but will try again when I get home.

Flyinsbt

I will never teach speak again, but when I taught it to Tully, what I did was act really excited, lean over, and smack my thighs a lot, which is the thing that always got her excited enough to bark. I was actually saying "speak! speak!" in an excited tone, so once I got the behavior, the cue was already there.

Then it was her favorite behavior, and she offered it frequently.

I tried again with the chicken. I wasn't able to film it this time. But I guess I just don't know what I'm doing. lol He was leashed and I tried to get him worked up. He did get worked up. But he was completely silent.

However, 20 minutes later when the fireworks were going off, he was barking up a storm. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.