Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
He's still on his probiotic supplement - don't want to take him off of it encase it's helping! Lol

I honestly don't know how he did on Eukanuba. I brought him home at 7.5 weeks, and he had only been eating it for a short while. As far as I know his stools were normal, but at such a young age....I don't know if it would matter? I have considered, though.
Yeah, I mean, I would personally think it'd be worth a shot. Maybe buy a small bag. I have no idea about Euk's pricing (probably not as cheap as I'd think it would be) but they have a few formulas that actually aren't half bad.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
He's still on his probiotic supplement - don't want to take him off of it encase it's helping! Lol
Ahh okay. Re-reading your original post I see that now I just know when Juno was a sensitive puppy, we relied on Prozyme for a while, did wonders with the gas issue!

Since it's only been a couple days I might just wait it out a bit too and see if it resolves itself once he's been on the food a while.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Yeah, I mean, I would personally think it'd be worth a shot. Maybe buy a small bag. I have no idea about Euk's pricing (probably not as cheap as I'd think it would be) but they have a few formulas that actually aren't half bad.
Eukanuba is a horrible brand with terrible ingredients.
Eukanuba Adult Maintenance says there’s “0 fillers”... actually, the ingredient list contains only one meat and the rest is nothing but fillers full of starch and sugars such as Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product and Fish Oil.

Plus, Eukanuba and Iams just got recalled in the U.S.
Along with Natura, all of P&G pet foods are in a recall.
Roger Biduk
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Since this was spammingly bumped...I'll post an update! Lol

We've weaned off the probiotics and he's currently eating a mixture of 4Health Salmon and Potato, 4Health Whitefish and potato grain free ALS, and TOTW Pacific Stream puppy. LOL (Can you tell I couldn't make up my mind?) Stools are great, no more farts, and he is doing great. I get a discount at work, so I think I'm going to throw ProPlan Sensitive Stomach formula into the mix - it is grain heavy, but much higher in kcals than the other foods, plus has the exact C/Ph ratio I want.

(But dang, now their breath and poop smells like fish. LOL)

Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Since this was spammingly bumped...I'll post an update! Lol

We've weaned off the probiotics and he's currently eating a mixture of 4Health Salmon and Potato, 4Health Whitefish and potato grain free ALS, and TOTW Pacific Stream puppy. LOL (Can you tell I couldn't make up my mind?) Stools are great, no more farts, and he is doing great. I get a discount at work, so I think I'm going to throw ProPlan Sensitive Stomach formula into the mix - it is grain heavy, but much higher in kcals than the other foods, plus has the exact C/Ph ratio I want.

(But dang, now their breath and poop smells like fish. LOL)
It may be higher in kcals, but I still had to feed Saga almost 4 cups of it a day versus 2 of TOTW because she wasn't absorbing most of it. GIANT poops. I'd stick with the 4Health and TOTW. And if you have finally found something that works for him, I wouldn't mess with it. There are several foods that I would like to try with Nico, but since his tummy is SO sensitive, I'm sticking with the one that I know works.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Earthborn Holistics is decent as well, and it only runs about $10 bucks more around here than 4Health. I do rotations of Earthborn, 4Health GF, and the occasional Acana now.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Love my pets

Glad to hear you found a good combination. Just to let you know I tried Earthborn and had to stop using it as my dogs were getting severe allergies while on it. A few of my friends had the same experience. I'm feeding TOTW and 4Health also. I use the grain 4 Health. I haven't tried the grain free one.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Puppy Dog

If feeding commercial foods, dogs should always have a grain-free, high protein food.
Roger Biduk
Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
If feeding commercial foods, dogs should always have a grain-free, high protein food.
Roger Biduk
Normally I ignore your posts, but sometimes it's hard. While you do have plenty of good information and knowledge, you come across pretty conceited. There is no "always" when it comes to dogs. Some dogs do better on a grain inclusive diet. Not all dogs do well with grain free, and especially some of the higher protein grain free diets. And this is coming from somebody who feeds Orijen to two dogs (because surprise surprise, they do better on it than raw) and raw to her other two dogs and works in a natural pet food store. It's absurd to point out that you should only feed a certain type or a certain brand of food.

If you're going to continue to randomly pop in with information that 99% of the forum is aware of already, you could do so in a more friendly, informative manner and perhaps participate in other areas of the forum as well. Not that you haven't already been told that. You have a very "my way or the highway" attitude and it's aggravating.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Normally I ignore your posts, but sometimes it's hard. While you do have plenty of good information and knowledge, you come across pretty conceited. There is no "always" when it comes to dogs. Some dogs do better on a grain inclusive diet. Not all dogs do well with grain free, and especially some of the higher protein grain free diets. And this is coming from somebody who feeds Orijen to two dogs (because surprise surprise, they do better on it than raw) and raw to her other two dogs and works in a natural pet food store. It's absurd to point out that you should only feed a certain type or a certain brand of food.

If you're going to continue to randomly pop in with information that 99% of the forum is aware of already, you could do so in a more friendly, informative manner and perhaps participate in other areas of the forum as well. Not that you haven't already been told that. You have a very "my way or the highway" attitude and it's aggravating.
Unfortunately you seem to have no idea what you are talking about nor am I remotely interested in your criticism or the fact that you don't read my posts.

BTW, there is no carnivore or obligate carnivore in the world that "does better on a grain inclusive diet".
And the so-called "higher protein diets" you mention aren't that high at all when you take into consideration a canine's ancestral diet is the same today, which is around 49% protein... and I couldn't care less what you feed your pets.

You confuse knowledge with conceit which is a character flaw on your part, not mine... I wish I was able to get this knowledge from someone years ago for the benefit of my pets.

As far as your back-handed compliment of having "plenty of good information and knowledge", if even one cat/dog benefits from it because their owner changes something because of it, it's worth it... and I'm happy to say that's happened many, many times... nothing to be conceited by spreading good info and recommending the best vets.
Roger Biduk