Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I don't really look for a sport dog per se, especially because I really just do sports for fun and for something to train in and have yet to really compete in a whole lot yet. My first priority is finding a dog I can live with on a daily basis but also has the drive, intelligence and trainability required for all of the training and activities I like to do with my dogs. Even if/when I do get much more involved in sports, I imagine that that will still be my first and foremost goal. And the things I like in just an every day dog should translate into a good sports dog for me anyway. I like a dog who is motivated by multiple things (food, play, praise), a dog who is easygoing and confident, appropriately friendly (or aloof) with people and other dogs (no aggression or shyness), has the stamina and energy and desire to do stuff, is a people oriented dog who enjoys learning and is a good thinker, is athletic in build and built well for activities, etc.

I am sure you'll find the right dog/breed for you! It can be a tough one to decide on, but you'll get there. And you can certainly find a sporting dog that is a good sport dog if that is what you like to live with. I've not owned any sporting breeds other than Tollers, but my Toller is a wonderful little sport dog (except for her people weirdness). She's different than my Aussie, but neither one is really better than the other when it comes to doing stuff, they're just a little different at doing stuff and learning stuff and the Toller doesn't have as much stamina always, but that's just an individual thing. I personally mesh better with herding dogs than any other type, but everyone is different. :-)

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN

Last edited by Toller_08; 08-26-2013 at 04:10 PM.