Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCrafty View Post
My upper body (arms, shoulders, back). Has anyone got a good upper body workout I can try? I have access to a full gym of weight machines, and toning stuff, I just don't know how to use them and what ones I should use.
Off the top of my head, and these are all free weight exercises, I can think of push-ups (arms, shoulders, also chest and core), shoulders - chest presses, overhead raises, MAC raises; biceps the obvious bicep curl; triceps - tricep dip, tricep pushups, and tricep kickbacks; back - the ever wonderful deadlift. If your gym has helpful staff tell them you want to start deadlifting and ask if they can help. You can also do cleans, clean and press, clean and jerk, all those are back exercises. All of these you should do with a trainer to start, somebody to help you, or just make sure you're really watching your form. Light weight to start because it's no help if you hurt yourself! Learn the movement first then worry about your weight selection.

I'm sure there's a few more but I can't think of them at the moment, I'm about to head out the door. Let me pull out one of my fitness textbooks and see what else I can come up with. You can also do a lot of the same moves on the cable machines, I like them okay and generally you can keep your movement pretty lose and natural, but I just really like free weights. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Club Terrible - President

I stretched my legs yesterday (just waking up, not exercising) and something rolled really horribly in my left calf. Couldn't put any weight on it for about ten minutes, and it's still painful to the point where I need to adjust my gait, but not to the point where I can't walk.

This happens probably every 5-6 months. The pain generally lasts for 3-4 days. Is there anything I can do to stop the pain faster?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCrafty View Post

One place I don't notice a difference? My upper body (arms, shoulders, back). Has anyone got a good upper body workout I can try? I have access to a full gym of weight machines, and toning stuff, I just don't know how to use them and what ones I should use.
Rock climbing is super fun & will wreck you/build muscles in your arms & back you didn't know existed... all under the guise of fun haha. Seriously though I've never had a back muscle until this year. ..

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Well, I'm going to be freaking sore tomorrow. I mowed today (just my lawn, but it was about 45 minutes with the push mower), walked around department stores all afternoon, then I lifted for 45 minutes tonight followed by a 2.5 mile run.

I probably overdid it, but I feel good. Definitely will be on the ibuprofen tomorrow, though.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Total body circuit today... How I hate you TBC

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Resident fainting goat

My paleo adventure is going pretty well I think.. guess it's time for an update.
Right now I'm on the 80%, 20% plan.. I do 100% paleo during the week, and then kind of keep the guidelines but am a bit more leanient on the weekends (It's still "healthy" food but also includes rice, pasta etc..)

I am finding that this way works for me I don't feel like I'm missing out on my favorite foods FOREVER, just that I can't have them RIGHT NOW. Pasta is now much more special because I only eat it on sundays! lol

Also, holy crap do I eat a lot of eggs and spinach and chicken and fruit. Haha I'd say those are my three biggest contenders and yet, I'm losing weight.
It's weird because I don't measure ANYTHING. Like portion control has gone out the window, I eat like an animal. Entire bags of grapes, 4 egg omelets, bacon for a snack, half a rottiserie chicken...

and yet, my body doesn't seem to mind it

I just feel better honestly, more-so than anything else, my BRAIN misses carbs but my body doesn't seem to. More energy, less bloated, I'm full longer..
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

That's awesome Fran! Yeah, a lot of people lose weight eating paleo just for the sole fact that when you're eating real, nutrient rich foods, you get full faster and stay full longer - it's why I have trouble eating enough these days because I'm just not friggin' hungry.

Here's an article on the paleo diet I read earlier this week, I really liked it:
http://fastpaleo.com/how-to-define-your-own-paleo/

Quote:
The point is I think you can craft your own rules, and if you’re realistic in doing so, you can forget about 80/20 and cheating, because as long as you’re following your own rules, you’re 100%. Then you can feel good that you’re eating in a way that makes you feel good, while not feeling guilty that part of that also includes doing whatever you want every once in a while.
He talks about "never" and "sometimes" foods in there too and I love that concept as well. Rice for me is a sometimes food. I eat it, maybe about once a week or every other week, and I don't feel bad about it when I do - partially because it doesn't MAKE me feel bad and also because I don't feel like, for me, it's cheating. I just eat it sometimes. I just do.
I have my rules, I'm comfortable with them, and I don't really give a crap what anybody else thinks about my rules. If I'm "not paleo enough" for somebody else, boo friggin' hoo - it's not THEIR body.

Frankly I believe too many people spend too long caring about what other people put in their body. It seems ESPECIALLY so in certain paleo camps. It's like a penis-waving contest. "I AM MORE PALEO THAN YOU!!" No. I have no interest in playing that game and never have.

Anyway I just wanted to share in case you've run into that, and also to vent some about something that's been bothering me, hahaha. Man, unless somebody is asking for advice on their diet, it's just not your business what they eat. STOP IT WORLD. STOP IT.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog

Last edited by eddieq; 08-25-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Sport Model Pug

I start school tomorrow. My schedule has no planned breaks and I'm freaking out inside as to when I'm going to eat and how long I'll have and what I should make.

Oh and school starts half hour after I'm done working out in the mornings... At least I don't have to have my hair looking good as it'll be covered all day anyway.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Club Terrible - President

I'm looking into different bodyweight exercises to combine with my C25K runs. I'm unsure of how many different ones to do/how many reps/etc. Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Big Dog

Julee, I was told to see how many you can do with excellent form, 10 at a time. If you can do 3 sets of 10 with good form, then start with 2 sets of 10. Eventually, move up to 3 sets of 10.

With push-ups, I started with 2 sets of ten reps and I'm doing them against the wall to start. Later, I'll move down to a bench and eventually to the floor.

Push-ups, pull-ups (with straps), squats, lunges - Same thing, 2 sets of 10.

I would do as many different exercises as you can, starting with the larger muscles and moving to the smaller ones. I also have dumbbells (10lb) and that helps a LOT! I end up doing 10-12 different exercises, 2 sets of 10 each, and it takes about 30-40 minutes.