Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Also, I need to stop clapping my hands to get her attention. She doesn't react to it, and I look like a dancing monkey.
I am going to duct tape my hands together when I run. I *only* clap at trials. I don't ever notice I'm doing it. I watch the videos and want to drown myself.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I am going to duct tape my hands together when I run. I *only* clap at trials. I don't ever notice I'm doing it. I watch the videos and want to drown myself.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Watching all 9 runs in a row made me want to rip my hands off my wrists. STOP IT, KAREN. LUCY DOESN'T CARE.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Vizsla mom

Penn sometimes has a miserable release from her stay. In that, I actually cannot get her to break it. I can't figure out how to fix it.

Aside from that, here's our almost starters jumpers run this evening in my parents backyard! Thanks, mom, for filming
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I have a new appreciation for all the foundation stuff you guys do. Holy crap is it going to be time consuming.

Lucy had her performance eval today... Trainer said she definitely has the intensity to do it, but needs work on confidence. Pretty much needs to be socialized as if she were a puppy. Which is awesome. Considering the fact that I'm working full time and going back to school. I've got all the time in the world. </sarcasm>

I'm going to really crack down on foundation work with her, training at least twice a day (shorter sessions). If in a month we aren't coming along pretty good and are ready for a second private, I'm going to take the sports prospect off of her listing.

Our list: exposure to equipment, mainly tunnels and jumps. 2o2o and lid work. building drive for a treat pouch. jump sends (working up to two jumps). jump work side to side. ladder work for rear end awareness. go all the places for confidence building and focus work. oh, and flatwork and front crosses.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Ok guys. Running or stopped?

Here is Zinga's natural striding on the a frame. She has a really nice stopped when I ask her to as well. I tried the Rachel Sander's method with the box and pretty much sucked at it, so that's a no go.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post

Here is Zinga's natural striding on the a frame. She has a really nice stopped when I ask her to as well. I tried the Rachel Sander's method with the box and pretty much sucked at it, so that's a no go.

Have you thought about throwing the reward where you would like her to land, it will limit the push off and limit the chance of a higher stride hit above the contact, from what I understand.

As for running or stopped, I would go with what you have, it looks good.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My only concern is that striding changes when they are amped up. Maybe I'll just have to do the running as is until I see a problem and then re-evaluate then.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You're almost definitely going to see her skipping the yellow as she gets higher/faster if you go this route. She's jumping off, instead of striding like you would want in a running contact.

I think you should really take a moment and decide what you want going forward. Make that decision now, and try your best to maintain your criteria. Being kind of iffy about it won't pay off in the long run with a dog like Zinga (or any dog, really). I think running contacts are awesome, if you have access to the requisite materials, etc. If you can, go for running, but train a stopped contact too for situations where you might need it. I'm not sure which you should train first though....

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
. If you can, go for running, but train a stopped contact too for situations where you might need it. I'm not sure which you should train first though....
That's what I'm thinking and what I have currently. I can call for a stopped or I can just not give that cue and she'll do the running.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The running looks great right now, but I will always do stopped contacts after watching a lot of people work running. I think the amount of reps it takes to get and maintain reliability negates the assumed lower impact. I think you will get bad calls sometimes even if you do it right, and I think with the crazy international type courses that are becoming the norm, a stopped contact is going to be useful. I personally prefer the stop; I can worry about making up the time in other places on course.

But I'm also a little type A and a bit of a control freak