Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
We actually ran into this (or something similar) a couple times at the clinic (usually with cats). A lot of people don't even think to check for a chip. And when you find a chip, you're not obligated to call the number. And if you call the number, you're not obligated to do anything about it. It really sucks.
This scares me; not so much that Elsie'll be stolen, but if she gets lost, she looks like a GSD mix (and probably one that's been abused; why else would she be so 'scared' right?) and it seems likely that she might not even be scanned at a clinic/shelter--so even though she's chipped, it wouldn't do any good if no one checks.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Big Mutts

It is also my fear if Gracie was lost. First of all they would have a VERY hard time catching her. She moves crazy fast for a 75 lb dog. And I think if it was a man she'd try to bite him. If she was ever taken to the shelter they'd list her as aggressive. Scares me to death.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

I hear stories like this more and more these days.... Does anyone remember the story of the women who lost her dog in NM, the dog ended up in the pound, was micro chipped but the owner never contacted, than adopted out? What IS the point if shelters don't even bother? :/

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Professional Nerd

Stan's chip can't be read by any of the local scanners. He has an international chip and everybody here just has the ones that scan the AVID frequency. I'm thinking of getting him double Chipped.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Not a Border Collie

Very scary! I do think that microchips work in favor for the owner more times than not though. This spring my mom and I found a big black lab loose on our road - in good weight but filthy and no collar (or any indication that he wore a collar). He was obviously lost, following cars and was going to get hit. We picked him up and checked with a couple of neighbours, but no one knew who he belonged to. We were thinking for sure that it would be a battle to find his owners - nope, we took him to a vet clinic, who found a chip, and held on to him for us until his owners came to retrieve him. It was a happy ending

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Even scarier.

When I got Joey I had him scanned because I was planning to chip him but didn't want to if he was already chipped.

I called Home Again and said I adopted a dog with this chip number and they asked for my info and bam he was in my name. They didn't call and ask the original owners or anything. It was literally that simple.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Even scarier.

When I got Joey I had him scanned because I was planning to chip him but didn't want to if he was already chipped.

I called Home Again and said I adopted a dog with this chip number and they asked for my info and bam he was in my name. They didn't call and ask the original owners or anything. It was literally that simple.
That's scary
Good for you, but bad for me

Tha main reason I got Bailey chipped is because I had so many freaking people who told me they wanted her and were going to take her. I mean at first it was flattering, yeah my dog is cute, but then it got creepy and excessive. And its easy for her to slip most collars, and she was so flighty when I first got her I knew I chip was our best bet.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I've seen dogs that were chipped, registered, and then their information was never updated. Or we called and left messages we had their dog, and still they go unclaimed.

None of mine are chipped, and unless someone offered to do it for free I have no forseeable plans of getting it done. A cat would be a different story, joe schmo can't tell the different between a brown and grey tiger cat.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

None of ours are done, it's like tags IMO, it only works of the people are honest.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Big Mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Even scarier.

Wow! That is really scary!