Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
Some states in the USA and Australia, I think they have to be muzzled when walking in public, so that's something you should check. My dogs never wear muzzles, but some choose to keep them on anyway, its up to you. You'll find you get to know your hound and what could potentially trigger a reaction, as to whether you need a muzzle or not.

Major downside is they are a delicate breed, they are healthy, not likely to suffer illnesses that a lot of dogs are prone too, but they are easy to 'break' and don't have a lot of sense when they run. If you get one, you MUST have somewhere flat and enclosed for them to run. Un-even ground is a no-no, and not worth the risk at all.

They generally want to please, but of course, being trained to chase, some never break the instinct, and some can never be let off the lead, others will be fine and have no urge to run off at all each one is different!
They are caught up in some bans because of size, but to my knowledge there are no statewide public muzzling laws directed at greyhounds.
If you had to train them to run they wouldn't be greyhounds, it's all instinct & drive.
They do have thin skin & tend to break toes if taken directly from groomed tracks to hard rocky running grounds, but they are not particularly fragile. Several have become good jack rabbit (hare), coon, fox & coyote dogs even though they were not good racers.