Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Thanks! I didn't even think about shipping because everything I read something about visiting the baby multiple times before bringing them home. Is that important or not really?
Well think of it as if you were getting a pup from a breeder. If you couldn't go see the facilities and judge yourself how friendly the babies are and how healthy the parents are, you would ask for lots of references and testimonials. There are lots of great breeders who are willing to ship babies, the trick is just being thorough in checking them out and really doing your research. Ask lots of questions over the course of several phone calls and request pictures and videos of the babies. They may also be members of a bird club, which can be a good indication that they really are passionate about what they do.

You should expect that they too will ask you questions, and if they don't I would be suspicious of how much they care. There's a really good crimson bellied breeder in the US that I would totally get a bird from if I lived on that side of the border!

Another thing to think about is that there are forums for parrots just like there are for dogs You can always go and ask there for breeder recommendations and if you develop a relationship with some members that are nearby a breeder that interests you maybe they can check them out for you. There are also breeders on those forums, so they can potentially sell you a baby or direct you to someone reputable closer to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Everything I've read says that the green cheeks really aren't that loud as compared to the sun conures. What I remember about the black capped I had at work was that he was very quiet. He would screech every now and then but nothing awful. Also, I do have a little experience, I owned a pair of parakeets for years growing up so am not completely new to this bird thing.
Of the conure species, there are two genera: aratinga and pyrrhura. Aratinga are know for being LOUD, these guys would include sun conures and jenday conures. Pyrrhura (green cheeks, black caps, crimson bellies, etc.) are generally quieter and of lower pitch. Conures can make great first time parrots as long as the buyer is well read and has done their research. If noise is a concern, I would make sure to watch some youtube clips and if possible meet some of the species of interest in person to make sure the noise isn't an issue and you can handle the pitch. For example, I didn't *mind* the lovebirds, but a lot of people can't stand them because they have a really shrill, loud squawk. So as long as you know what the vocalizations sound like of the bird you want and you are prepared to listen to it all day, it's not a problem

Keep us updated, I would be very excited to have another parrot owner on this board! I'm sure you will be hearing tons about my new baby so you can live vicariously through me until you get yours If you have any more questions don't ever hesitate to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.