Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Big Dog

Breeding is dangerous, there is no doubt. If a person isn't willing to accept the risks involved, they should not be breeding. It is not a decision to be made lightly.

The worst contract I know of is from a person who expects people purchasing a show-prospect bitch to champion the dog in 18 months and if that can't be done owner handled, they have to hire a handler.

Then, the bitch is required by contract to have two litters with the stud dog being the original breeder's choice, and the pick puppy from each of those litters would go to the original breeder.

The bitch "owner" has to pay for all health testing and all breeding expenses.

After that, they would own the bitch free and clear.

I personally would never agree to that kind of contract. I think that is overkill. But, I don't see anything with a breeder expecting a puppy back IF that person is going to breed and IF whelping costs are split and IF everyone is comfortable with the stud dog.

Frankly, not everyone's pick puppy is going to be the same.

Out of my litter, my mentor's favorite was the male puppy with flashy markings and movement and the "show" attitude.

My favorite puppy was the sweeter, softer temperamented puppy with more balanced structure and clean, but not flashy movement.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
Breeding is dangerous, there is no doubt. If a person isn't willing to accept the risks involved, they should not be breeding. It is not a decision to be made lightly.

The worst contract I know of is from a person who expects people purchasing a show-prospect bitch to champion the dog in 18 months and if that can't be done owner handled, they have to hire a handler.

Then, the bitch is required by contract to have two litters with the stud dog being the original breeder's choice, and the pick puppy from each of those litters would go to the original breeder.

The bitch "owner" has to pay for all health testing and all breeding expenses.

After that, they would own the bitch free and clear.

I personally would never agree to that kind of contract. I think that is overkill. But, I don't see anything with a breeder expecting a puppy back IF that person is going to breed and IF whelping costs are split and IF everyone is comfortable with the stud dog.

Frankly, not everyone's pick puppy is going to be the same.

Out of my litter, my mentor's favorite was the male puppy with flashy markings and movement and the "show" attitude.

My favorite puppy was the sweeter, softer temperamented puppy with more balanced structure and clean, but not flashy movement.
I refused a contract that was exactly like that and heard horror stories,about
co-owning dogs.