Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all of the posts!!

I'm hoping to drag the husband to a pet store specializing in birds today. He's never been up close to a parrot before, so we'll see what he thinks.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Thanks for all of the posts!!

I'm hoping to drag the husband to a pet store specializing in birds today. He's never been up close to a parrot before, so we'll see what he thinks.
Oh have fun, let us know how it goes.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM
and Spy.

Can't wait to hear how the "encounter" goes Definitely keep us in the loop. Stores are great to get exposure but if possible go with a good breeder and definitely get a handfed baby. Worth the extra time and money when you have to live with the animal for 20 years.

Hey, we may become bird parents at the same time! I'll be curious to hear what you guys get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

So we went to this highly reviewed parrot specialty store in Minneapolis. Preeetty sure it was just a front for a mafia ring, seriously. The birds were all in tiny cages with no toys, the guy was super creepy and really didn't want to answer a lot of my questions. No handle-able birds either. So that was a waste.

We swung by Petsmart on the way home just to see if they had any green cheek conures. I was not disappointed!! They had the cutest little boy, super sweet too, named Burger. The husband held him and thought he was pretty cool until he got a little cranky and started nipping a bit. I think it was because he was getting passed around a lot and didn't have anything to occupy him.

This encounter just refueled my bird want. They are so freaking cool!! So smart, so inquisitive. We'll have to see what happens. I would love to get a rehome and skip the whole maturing phase.

Here's a picture! He's some kind of color morph, they just had him labeled as "Fancy Green Cheek Conure". ETA: Here he is mimicking the bird in my tattoo, hopefully he doesn't take that image seriously and go and free all the other birds.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

Oh and I did ask the mafia guy if there were any breeders in the area and he said no. Apparently he used to breed them and had a pair in a tiny cage behind the desk but he isn't anymore. Not that I'd go with him anyways, all the birds are probably stuffed with cocaine.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 PM
and Spy.

Those poor birds, what a jerk. I'm glad you guys at least got to hold one at petsmart. They are pretty amazing animals and believe me when I say it's easy to get hooked... Just wait until you go to a breeders place and get to hold some babies right before they are ready to be weaned.... There is nothing cuter, all they want to do is cuddle on you

Just a note on getting an older bird -- if you go that route, just be really careful. There are lots of great older birds looking for homes and there are also a ton with baggage and behavioral issues. Especially since this will be your first bird experience, I would go through a very reputable rescue and ask for a bird that has been fostered and has no (or minimal and safe) bad habits. That, or I would go through a good breeder and get a handfed baby. While parrots are very intelligent, they are also much more wild than dogs and in my experience, it is much easier to modify the bad behavior of a dog than it is a parrot. In many cases, if a bird doesn't like someone and is willing to attack them, they will not like that person for the rest of their life no matter what you do (in fact, I believe there is a member here with an amazon who hates her husband). It is much easier to mold a baby with the right start in life and a savvy owner than it is to try and correct years worth of learning to distrust humans and hate hands.

That's not to say these parrots don't deserve a great home and love too, but just be really cautious and aware of what you may be getting with an older bird. I went rescue for my second bird and while I cared for and loved her, I won't ever do it again. Too frustrating and upsetting. Some people don't mind this of course, but just make sure that you are one of them before jumping on that bandwagon.

Quote:
Oh and I did ask the mafia guy if there were any breeders in the area and he said no. Apparently he used to breed them and had a pair in a tiny cage behind the desk but he isn't anymore. Not that I'd go with him anyways, all the birds are probably stuffed with cocaine.
That man is an idiot and probably money hungry. I did a google search and came up with a few in MN:

http://www.summersbirdsandchins.com/

http://www.sunnyhollowaviaries.com/nursery.htm

But there were dozens more on this website that just didn't have websites and asked for emails instead:

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradm.htm

I have no doubt that if you google you will find even more. That, or you could also consider having a bird shipped to you from a good breeder that is out of driving distance. Lots of people ship birds nowadays -- my next bird is getting shipped to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
So we went to this highly reviewed parrot specialty store in Minneapolis. Preeetty sure it was just a front for a mafia ring, seriously. The birds were all in tiny cages with no toys, the guy was super creepy and really didn't want to answer a lot of my questions. No handle-able birds either. So that was a waste.
Was it the one off Lyndale? I've never personally been there but I've heard mixed reviews.

Anyhow...I have two parakeets now, which is probably a bit smaller than what you're looking for. A friend of mine in high school had three Cockatoos (her parents were animal behavior/zoology people), and they were the awesomest birds ever, just very, very cool to interact with. Pretty much everything Fran said .

My two were privately rehomed, and the biggest thing was that they were so intensely bonded to each other, they had problems bonding to me, which made the hand taming process so much harder. I had to separate them to work with them at all.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Show Dog

Good luck on your search. I've had both rehomes and raised/handfed a baby on my own. Both situation have been equally rewarding, just in different ways.

That little guy is adorable and looks like a Pineapple Green Cheek to me.

Savannah - 8 year old Standard Poodle
Skeeter - 7 year old Terrier mix
Quigley- 1 year old Bearded Dragon
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

Parrots can be great pets, but they can also be a disaster for some. I currently have a 14ish yr old Senegal. Your best bet if you really really want a bird is to google bird breeders, check rescues and find a avian club in your area. And research.
I wouldn't recommend any of the conures for a first time bird owner, especially if the partner isn't sure about birds. They are very very loud. I personally would rather have a large parrot screaming than a conure.

All birds can be messy, alot of it depends on what you feed them. If you feed primarily a seed diet you are going to have big messes vs. a pellet diet. They are alot of work, think of a perminat toddler in your house. They WILL learn things you don't want them to learn, they will test you on all levels. But on the flip side, I can't imagine not having Cleo here. I cant imagine not hearing hello Danielle when I come home from work. Or Good morning. Whatcha doing and can I have some.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
That man is an idiot and probably money hungry. I did a google search and came up with a few in MN:

http://www.summersbirdsandchins.com/

http://www.sunnyhollowaviaries.com/nursery.htm

But there were dozens more on this website that just didn't have websites and asked for emails instead:

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradm.htm

I have no doubt that if you google you will find even more. That, or you could also consider having a bird shipped to you from a good breeder that is out of driving distance. Lots of people ship birds nowadays -- my next bird is getting shipped to me
Thanks! I didn't even think about shipping because everything I read something about visiting the baby multiple times before bringing them home. Is that important or not really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Was it the one off Lyndale? I've never personally been there but I've heard mixed reviews.
Ya. It was upsetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
I wouldn't recommend any of the conures for a first time bird owner, especially if the partner isn't sure about birds. They are very very loud. I personally would rather have a large parrot screaming than a conure.
Everything I've read says that the green cheeks really aren't that loud as compared to the sun conures. What I remember about the black capped I had at work was that he was very quiet. He would screech every now and then but nothing awful. Also, I do have a little experience, I owned a pair of parakeets for years growing up so am not completely new to this bird thing.

Thanks for all the great advice!! This won't be happening anytime soon as I don't really have the money to set aside for a bird and cage yet. And I, of course, have to research things into the ground before actually acting on anything.