Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Do you buy and sell cars for a living? Do you work in a shop? Do you get to see the carfaxes and service records of hundreds of cars on a regular basis? I find your attitude offensive.
I find your attitude offensive. I merely said that it's ridiculous to think younger to have thousands to have a nice car. That is simply untrue. You being a car salesman explains your attitude about it, though.

I don't work in a shop or sell cars but I do work on cars. I've built and rebuilt muscle cars and can turn a wrench. I know what I'm looking for.

It can be done on a budget is all I said.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I find your attitude offensive. I merely said that it's ridiculous to think younger to have thousands to have a nice car. That is simply untrue. You being a car salesman explains your attitude about it, though.

I don't work in a shop or sell cars but I do work on cars. I've built and rebuilt muscle cars and can turn a wrench. I know what I'm looking for.

It can be done on a budget is all I said.
You said you find our attitudes ridiculous, when several of us had well- thought out posts explaining why we thought that. There's nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive car, you just have to have reasonable expectations.

Without delving into pettiness, the reason I asked is to see if you knew what you were talking aboutor if your experience was based on two fords. You can get totally lucky off of two cars and they can be reliable and never need anything, but my experiences both personal and professional tell me otherwise.

Sael, just PM me the VIN when you find one you want.

I have heard of both good and bad experiences with V70s. Personally, I dig them and think they're awesome. I'd say they're probably up there on the reliability list and have moderately inexpensive parts. Not cheap, but were not talking VW expensive. There's a pretty big enthusiast community for the amount of V70s out there, so if you need help it's easy to find.

My personal experience has been that both V70s we traded in at the previous job needed over $2k of work to be in nice enough condition to retail, which is fairly reasonable. I've had multiple customers complain that theirs are POS. my friend from diesel class owned three and loved them. He and his wife would buy them off CL for $500-2000 and fix them up physically and mechanically to retail them. They swore that Volvos are the best thing you can get for the money. So basically, mixed reviews. I'd go for it, though. I'm a sucker for Volvo wagons!

My experiences with Fords is that they're pieces of ****. However, I bought one anyway, so I'm not going to try to convince you out of it.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
There's a pretty big enthusiast community for the amount of V70s out there, so if you need help it's easy to find.
I like this. I really miss this about my Caliber. The community was AMAZING and that's how I learned 90% of what I know. That's how I knew the terrible noise my car was making at one point was just the alternator, and NOT the timing chain as the guy at the shop tried to tell me. That's how I got into some (very minor) mods with my Caliber. As much as a POS as it was, I do miss my T40 TARDIS with red pinstripes and eyelids I had plans to do the wheels, the lip in front, and a few other cosmetic things before it died.

Quote:
My experiences with Fords is that they're pieces of ****. However, I bought one anyway, so I'm not going to try to convince you out of it.
I'm just really mixed on Fords. I LOVED my Taurus, but I only had it for 6 months. For all I know it would have died a month later anyway. But it did get hit by lightning while I was driving it and seemed no worse for the wear lol. My Sable was a nightmare. My brother got an old Ranger for $500 and kept it running for over a year, and put maybe only another $500 of work into it. It would still be going now, except some drunken asshole hit it and totaled it out one night while we were all sleeping - it was parked in front of the house (we live between two bars. It sucks.) Even then, though with it as mangled as it was, he managed to drive it to the junk place he sold it to (for $500).

I'm not feeling much love for Dodge at the moment. My Caliber was a mechanical disaster, and my dad's Grand Caravan was no better. Every Dodge car my family has ever had has had belt issues. Not just regular maintenance belt wear. One of my dad's previous vans seemed to need a new serpentine belt every week or two. My caliber only needed it replaced once, and to be fair that was just because of the alternator problem (the first one, not the one that killed it for good). My first car was a Caravan, and it was a cheapo $500 car from my neighbor. It lasted 6 months after I got it, and it was over 20 years old, but it had been very well maintained prior to when I got it, and it was a single-owner car. The brakes went out on me with no warning on icy night. BUT then I gave it to my dad and he fixed the brakes and drove it for another 6 months. Then sold it for scrap for more than I paid for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Bored Now.

Same with Ford. ALL my experiences with them have sucked. But I bought a Ranger anyway. Other than a starter solenoid (we think!) no issues. I absolutely love it. But I don't have any hard and fast rules with my car buying, and I will and have made impulse buys. Even ones I think are a little bit stupid. I'm careful to advise other people against it.

Besides, my unreliable VW was my most reliable vehicle. My super reliable Miata has had nothing but little electrical headaches. So, of all people, I know stereotypes can be silly.

Hell, I just sold a brand new 65k car that broke down on my customer right before their drive to South Dakotah. Even a brand new car with high reliability ratings can have issues. I think sometimes it's luck. You've had so much bad luck with the current car that it's time for a change of luck with the next car.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

We have had a few fords, our ranger and our Taurus have been by far the best! We had an f150 and an f250, kept both less then 2 years!

The only Chrysler product I have liked is my jeep, and that's only because it has Mercedes insides.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
So, of all people, I know stereotypes can be silly.

I think sometimes it's luck.
Except for B5 S4s. If you buy one and expect anything other than a garage ornament, you're delusional.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
Except for B5 S4s. If you buy one and expect anything other than a garage ornament, you're delusional.

I wont disagree with you on S4s.

They're the least reliable car in the lineup. We've had two brand new ones break down out of nowhere several days after we sold them.

The B5s. . . well, there isn't a single part on them that are known to be reliable. Adam's is still cool, though. It doesn't have to run all the time to be cool, does it? You know you're a VAG person when you say stuff like that.

Edit: wait, we did have one of these that came in this week that's never had a mechanical issue in over 100k miles.

And no, I'm not kidding. . . our tech has been working on that car for the last 10+ years. It's just been in for services.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Stock, well-maintained B5 S4s are surprisingly reliable. Ignore maintenance and/or modify them? Good luck with that.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I missed the margarine on the oil cap. Well... That would be your head gasket and that would be where your coolant is going.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Top Dog

I can get this and just drive backwards everywhere

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3936924556.html

Then this one popped up. And I was excited. And then I saw it's in Oklahoma. BAH!

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4009011939.html

And then this came up. It just needs a battery. Oh, and it's overheating.
Yeah, I'm going to nope the **** out of that one.
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/4003257704.html

And again. WHY DO OKLAHOMA ADS SHOW UP IN WICHITA? Ugh.
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3999688038.html