Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM
On second thought...

I feel like a poodle should be fine for dock diving because they were originally water dogs (?) but I have no first hand experience with that.

What about a flat coated retriever? I don't know as much about them but they aren't as common as goldens, lol.

Basically, all I can definitively say is "don't get a chow chow".

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
Basically, all I can definitively say is "don't get a chow chow".
LOL noted!

I could do a flat coat. There's a good breeder not far from here.

LOL @ dumb blonde setters. Poor redheads...

I used to know the Harrison's who breed red and whites here. Awesome dogs but they seemed a bit...timid maybe? Very sucky, lap dog personalities.

Totally in another direction and not at all suited for what I need, but I love ACDs. If I was single and childless...
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
What about a Weim? A friend of mine breeds them and I really like them. Versatile friendly yet protective. Tons of energy and hers do agility
I'd be worried about finding a good breeder but definitely would consider it if I could.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Also, thoughts on pup vs adult and whether its possible to do all this with a rescue dog, providing I'm just in it for fun and not serious competition?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
Also, thoughts on pup vs adult and whether its possible to do all this with a rescue dog, providing I'm just in it for fun and not serious competition?
Could definitely do dock diving, agility and therapy work with a rescue

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
While I *choose* to get my dogs as pure bred puppies that is far more about the assurance of companion compatibility.

Shamoo however, a rescue at 10, started in flyball with plenty of ability only to be cut when her knee started acting up after repetition of the box hit, she tinkered in agility (knowing we'd never do much with her joints) and would have done well, she is titled in dock dogs, she could have been an obed dog (these days her brain isn't clear enough to work) and frankly could have been a bitework dog, she's also dappled in barn hunts and lately I have been playing with her in tracking.

Shamoo, truthfully, is one in a million. She is extremely driven, has great structure (prior to the life of obesity and it's abuse), she's dog tolerant, and she's minimally environmentally stimulated when put to work. If I ever found another Shamoo I might never need another dog.

Keep your eyes open for a rescue and consider purebred, well bred, litters. There is no wrong in either.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Our next dog NEEDS to be kid/dog friendly, hubs insists.

Interesting that these are his two big Must Haves as our big issues with Obi are his separation anxiety, lack of reliable house training and his obsession with garbage diving.

He used to be a social butterfly and was very dog appropriate when we adopted him at 8 months but he matured into a dog who is very pushy, bossy, domineering and selective with other dogs. He's really inappropriate now. I'm not sure if this is mostly the result of her individual personality or something that we've done wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Yes, Irish Setters unfortunately lost their brains when they were overbred. I do know some well-bred IS' who are not stupid, but it's something to watch. The driviest, most intense setters are probably field-bred English. Show bred English and Gordons are pretty similar; solid temperaments, get along well with almost anyone, steady workers. Uh, English Pointers can be like that too, and are another breed I could recommend. I don't personally like Weims much. There are good ones, and there are freaky ones. Same with GSPs. (I probably just irritated a bunch of people)

Here's some agility with a Gordon Setter and a Weim, and also a Stafford, to let you compare some of these breeds. BTW, this is her slow Gordon, and that was my slow Stafford.

My friend with the Gordons usually has 3, always bitches. I went to her trailer when we were going out to dinner after a trial once, and I had Tully with me. The Gordons were in their X-pen yard outside the trailer door, and I walked in with Tully and turned her loose while I went to talk to the humans. The dogs all drifted around calmly, mostly ignoring each other.
If you can walk in with your much smaller dog into other dogs' territory without anyone even looking irritated, those are pretty darn non-DA dogs.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Ah yes! English pointers! We have two amazing EP's from the same breeder and they're awesome dogs!

I'm not sure I like the looks of setters. Vanity. I haz it. :/

Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
On second thought...

Lucy (one of the chaz fosters is an ACD mix and I think her petfiner bio said she was good with nondominant dogs and shy with people but likes people. She also loves the water and could be a dock dog or other sport prospect. Lol her foster can tell you more and I could be wrong but I figured i'd give you a bunch of broad ideas and you can narrow it down.

If you go with an adult rescue (since pup rescue temperments can be hard to predict) you may want to try smaller dogs with breeds not known for hip dysplasia or other severe health issues. But otherwise a rescue could be great!

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.

Last edited by AliciaD; 08-14-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add something