Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
(i.e. polo and khakis)
This is the GO TO interview attire for most places. I've been told you can never over-dress for an interview, but you can also never go wrong with khakis and a polo. If nice jeans are all you have, then go for it, but if you own a pair of khakis or can obtain a pair, then go with khakis. If the pants have belt loops, be sure to wear a belt. Tuck your polo into the khakis. Wear nice but comfortable shoes in case they have you do stuff (I'd be SO tempted to go for VFFs. Not sure it would go over well with every place, though...but people at the zoo LOVE them lol)

Quote:
What are working interviews like in those places?
It can vary a bit place to place, but basically...you go in and you work and you see how it goes. At the clinic we don't let those doing working interviews handle animals for liability reasons, but we certainly have them clean cages and stuff. At the zoo my working interview was training (hands-on everything) because it was more of a "See if you actually like this work" than "See if we actually like you" sort of thing.

Quote:
My biggest worry is that while I have experience in a multiple dog household and lots of going to dog parks that I won't have the experience they want for the daycare/day training
You have dog experience. You can read dog body language. You're probably better for the job than most people that already work in that sort of job. You'd be amazed how many people working with dogs can't read dog body language.

Quote:
I've never been more grateful than I am right now that I've worked in retail for the last 7 years because before this I was super shy and now I find it really easy to talk to people. I think it's the only reason I'm not totally freaking out right now.
For all the crap I've had to deal with at the clinic, I feel the same way about that place. It definitely gave me more "people skills" over the last 7 years.

And finally, GOOD LUCK! You can do this
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
such sights to show you

So, here's the thing. This job, with your dog experience, is not going to be rocket science for you. That is: That you are qualified is pretty much a given, so I wouldn't stress too much about being "good enough" - you're likely a step above most applicants and that will shine through.

So with that out of the way, a not-interview often becomes more about intangible things like your work ethic, whether you would fit in with the culture, whether they think you would get along with co-workers and clients, how responsible you are, etc.

I wouldn't worry about what you think you "should" do or say. Remember, you are not-interviewing them as much as they are not-interviewing you. Unless you are financially desperate, it's better to realize that a place isn't a good fit for you OR you aren't a good fit for them and pass than to take a job just to get a job. Just trying to act natural and be honest. Don't be afraid to put your best foot forward, but don't worry about inflating yourself.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Twin 2

Ok, so it got rescheduled to today so any last minute advice!

And Sass, thanks so much! That was an incredibly helpful post and really good for me to keep in mind.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Just breathe. You will do just fine. Good luck!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

That is kind of how we have to dress on race days, becsuse we are on camera when you lead horses up (not everyone does but I think it looks better when you do), nice jeans, a nice shirt. But not so nice that you aren't afraid to pitch in either.

Good luck, though I am sure they will love you

Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Twin 2

And I'm back!

It went so well! Didn't feel like an interview at all, just talking to a likeminded dog person. He was super nice, easy going and funny.

He really doesn't have anything for me right now but seriously seemed like he was trying to figure out how to get me in there. Talked about salary, hours and showed me around.

He wants me to come in and meet the head trainer/owner and watch a couple training classes. He also said he would put my name out and recommend me to anyone that I wanted to apply to.

Though, I might have gotten a little over my head. I told him about my first disc dog comp with Didgie and Traveler and he goes "We've been wanting to get a beginner disc dog class going! Would you maybe be interested in teaching something like that if we got it figured out?"

Which, terrifying but I think I could pull off a beginner disc class full of drive building, relationship building and fun tricks.

I like their facility, I like their methods/philosophy and I would love to work there so hoping I get a chance!

But yes! Went really well and I feel like something will hopefully come out of it!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

I hate to say I told you so, but "I told you so"

and you'd be fine teaching a class, not a doubt in my mind.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM
such sights to show you

Yay, congratulations!

Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

That's awesome! Congratulations!