Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Either sweet and not drivey enough, or drivey and REALLY pushy/reactive/obnoxious LOL I want in-between!
Pushy/reactive/obnoxious is what comes with this breed when you get drive. They go up against cattle, they have to be this way. Lol. As I mentioned before, you may be better off looking into other breeds.. I just don't think an ACD is what you are looking for.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Pushy/reactive/obnoxious is what comes with this breed when you get drive. They go up against cattle, they have to be this way. Lol. As I mentioned before, you may be better off looking into other breeds.. I just don't think an ACD is what you are looking for.
Yup, agreed. I think I might get a nice, mellow one for a pet someday LOL They're like Limit...on bitch crack haha

I'm on a list for a StaffyBull. Actually, I'm on two. Number one reason beyond liking the breed and such, Jason loves them, so the dog will be "our" dog and therefore the timing won't be as much of a thing (as long as it's next year or later haha).
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Yup, agreed. I think I might get a nice, mellow one for a pet someday LOL They're like Limit...on bitch crack haha
That's a plus for going with adult rescue. Lucy is very drivey and focused, but not insane. Lol. Then again, she's not hard.. she's pretty soft. So catch 22. I wouldn't expect her to stick with a cow if it turned on her.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm All Ears

I live nice training sessions with my dogs. Nothing fancy just having a good old time.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

If I had to describe Merlin right now in one sentence it would be..
over socialized, under trained.

Well, not "over" because yea, I love that he does WELL with all kinds of environments and sounds and storms and places and people etc... he has never faced an environment where he hasn't thrived. which is great.
but I was so busy taking him everywhere plus school and work and life.. that I have slacked so much on his training.

I just feel like such a failure... he is WELL BEHAVED (doesn't jump, walks nicely, plays nicely, leave it, come, stay, sit etc..)
but he SHOULD know so much more command wise and I just have been so lazy about it.
He and I spend all day at the store where I work. I walk dogs, he parties with dogs that come in.. we go home, he crashes, I do homework and crash..training just hasn't been happening.

and I know it's my fault.
He is 10 months old and other than basic manners.. we have come, sit, down, leave it and heel.
that's it.

We start back with his private classes and everything soon and I should've been working with him (we took a break) but gah.

I suck.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:

I'm on a list for a StaffyBull. Actually, I'm on two. Number one reason beyond liking the breed and such, Jason loves them, so the dog will be "our" dog and therefore the timing won't be as much of a thing (as long as it's next year or later haha).
A good ACD can learn how to "settle" though. With mine I NEVER played ANY games in the house, because I wanted them to associate coming in with calm time.
Though if you teach them something in training, don't be surprises when they use it out of training hahaha.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
If I had to describe Merlin right now in one sentence it would be..
over socialized, under trained.

Well, not "over" because yea, I love that he does WELL with all kinds of environments and sounds and storms and places and people etc... he has never faced an environment where he hasn't thrived. which is great.
but I was so busy taking him everywhere plus school and work and life.. that I have slacked so much on his training.

I just feel like such a failure... he is WELL BEHAVED (doesn't jump, walks nicely, plays nicely, leave it, come, stay, sit etc..)
but he SHOULD know so much more command wise and I just have been so lazy about it.
He and I spend all day at the store where I work. I walk dogs, he parties with dogs that come in.. we go home, he crashes, I do homework and crash..training just hasn't been happening.

and I know it's my fault.
He is 10 months old and other than basic manners.. we have come, sit, down, leave it and heel.
that's it.

We start back with his private classes and everything soon and I should've been working with him (we took a break) but gah.

I suck.
You do not suck. You've raised a fantastic ambassador of the breed, a stable generally WONDERFUL dog. So, you may not be as far along with SD work as you want to be. But you know what? He got to be a puppy and that's something that is very important as well. Get back into classes and work hard now. Maybe he's finally through the teenage stage and you can make some quick progress now.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 PM
such sights to show you

Christ Fran, if your dog knows come, sit down, leave it, and heel... you are far ahead of most pet owners. For the leave it and heel alone.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Fran, you're likely right where you should be!!!! He's a pup - you've been laying the foundation all this time which will only help him later.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

I would like to know how I managed to teach multiple dogs, of different breeds and sizes and personalities, to walk reliably on a loose leash. And yet there is a little black Aussie puppy, who is brilliant and catches onto things no problem, who insists that loose leash walking isn't for her. I always thought it was something I seemed to be good at successfully teaching quickly, and yet...

Gah. What a brat. She used to walk nicely, but recently she's decided that that no longer needs to happen. Good thing she's cute and I know we'll get there eventually.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]