Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten&Gypsy View Post

ukcswhblkwht by grinningd0g, on Flickr
I could get a silken like this and just claim it's a pointy sport bred border collie.

THANK YOU everyone very much for all of your input. I'm surprised that this thread has been making the rounds so much, but I'm very pleased to see it do so. Hopefully you guys will stick around the Chaz community. All of your dogs are just lovely.

One thing I've not yet gotten a feel for is the breeds' ability to be off leash. I love hiking in the woods, I spend a lot of time in parks and don't have many fenced in dog areas where I live. To date, it's not been a problem. How well do you feel your dogs fare off leash?

Also, what's their propensity to wander? My yard is fenced, but it is low in some areas. Is putting up a 5-6' fence considered a requirement? My dogs aren't out in the yard unsupervised for more than 2-3 minutes at a time, usually.

Everything I'm being told about silkens both via forums and email is very encouraging. I admit I'm still a bit nervous to change to a new breed/group now that I'm starting to feel relatively well versed in herders, but I think I'll be up to the challenge. My biggest flaw as a trainer is I like to drill exercises over and over. My Aussie is happy to oblige, and the chihuahua will at least try if there's food involved.

What about dog aggression? How common is it in the breed? Is it something I should be mindful of when looking for a sport companion? I don't imagine I'd see it at the same rate I see it in herders, but I could be surprised.

And what are they like as puppies? I can tell my husband "40 mph couch potato" but he may call me a liar once the puppy crazies come about. What about adolescence? How do you find they mature? And at what rate?

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to your responses!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog