Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten&Gypsy View Post

ukcswhblkwht by grinningd0g, on Flickr
I could get a silken like this and just claim it's a pointy sport bred border collie.

THANK YOU everyone very much for all of your input. I'm surprised that this thread has been making the rounds so much, but I'm very pleased to see it do so. Hopefully you guys will stick around the Chaz community. All of your dogs are just lovely.

One thing I've not yet gotten a feel for is the breeds' ability to be off leash. I love hiking in the woods, I spend a lot of time in parks and don't have many fenced in dog areas where I live. To date, it's not been a problem. How well do you feel your dogs fare off leash?

Also, what's their propensity to wander? My yard is fenced, but it is low in some areas. Is putting up a 5-6' fence considered a requirement? My dogs aren't out in the yard unsupervised for more than 2-3 minutes at a time, usually.

Everything I'm being told about silkens both via forums and email is very encouraging. I admit I'm still a bit nervous to change to a new breed/group now that I'm starting to feel relatively well versed in herders, but I think I'll be up to the challenge. My biggest flaw as a trainer is I like to drill exercises over and over. My Aussie is happy to oblige, and the chihuahua will at least try if there's food involved.

What about dog aggression? How common is it in the breed? Is it something I should be mindful of when looking for a sport companion? I don't imagine I'd see it at the same rate I see it in herders, but I could be surprised.

And what are they like as puppies? I can tell my husband "40 mph couch potato" but he may call me a liar once the puppy crazies come about. What about adolescence? How do you find they mature? And at what rate?

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to your responses!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Active Pup

@LGCentaur - Derby is one of my favorite performance Windhounds! Sekah, go check out his youtube videos!

My versions of the answers -

Off-Leash - My Caramel is pretty fantastic now (although I don't have her off leash near traffic more for my own mental health than anything else) but she was not safe as a youngster, she really had the ol' "ooh look a butterfly, I'll run off over here until oh! a flower! Wait, what's that smell..." mentality and would wander quite aimlessly without any attention to where she was or I was etc. The fenced off leash park was my friend for the first 2 years, in spite of all its other downsides. I think if I had gone through the food battle earlier and been more successful with training earlier that period would have been shorter than two years though.

Wandering -> This might be very dog specific and bear in mind that I have a particularly sloth-like windhound, but she has very little interest in wandering off deliberately. If I left the front door open and wasn't around there is a possibility she would meander outside and start following her nose but she is not going to make an effort to get over a gate or fence to do so.

As for training, I second LG here -> No drilling with a windhound. You will both be SUPER frustrated!

Dog aggression is pretty unlikely although my Caramel has some minor reactivity to on leash dogs when she is on leash with her "bad" siblings.

Puppyhood - Caramel was a dream puppy. Although she did one of my favorite pairs of black heels, after that my shoes found a new puppy-proof home. That was her one big "bad puppy" moment.

Just to clarify - as a puppy she also lived a fairly busy daily lifestyle as I was the owner/operator of a pet supply store where she was able to be at work with me every day in a very stimulating environment with lots of people and interesting things to see and do interspersed with her all important napping.

Your puppy mileage may vary!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

Silkens such beautiful dogs. My husband isn't a big fan of how sighthounds are built, so a no-go for me, at least right now. I have nothing helpful to add

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Active Pup

Like I said previously, my Silken is a Velcro dog and although I would never actively take her off leash with nearby vehicle traffic, I otherwise consider her bulletproof for off leash activities... with the strong caveat that any sighthound that does take off after something can be FAR away before you could react.

I know of plenty of people with performance silkens that do off leash hiking trails as their primary method of conditioning... I've personally gone for runs through several acres of woodlands with my girl off leash clinging to my side.

I have been spoiled by my girl, since a very young age I have been able to let her out to go to the bathroom and she will return and sit at the door to wait for me to let her in without wandering... we have comfortably done this at several relatives homes that were unfamiliar to her and unfenced without issue. She also has only once not respected a baby gate, otherwise any barrier has been sufficient to contain her.

My Silken has been used as a chew toy at dog parks far too many times before I showed the common sense to stop going to parks, but has never had any dog aggression...

As for energy... I found even as a puppy, the zoomies stage was mostly limited to outside, but she is what I like to call forcefully affectionate - she has been known to jump onto the couch as you go to sit down, in an effort to force you to cuddle...
Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGcentaur View Post
Thanks Lixi!

Just fixing your embedding, love the conversation! Carry on!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Active Pup

9 weeks old...

About 10 weeks old... you can see just how difficult these dogs are as puppies!

About 3 months old...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Spanish Pup

Aww, Zoo
She's just soo cute! I love that first photo.
Sighthounds are my weak point. And she's just stunning.

-Owned by Natasha, a podenco mix.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Obey the Toad.

Late to this thread, but had some questions (DH really wants a sighthound)...

We will likely always have at least one Labrador, would windhounds be an ok housemate to a lab? Also, we currently have four small to medium size parrots (and will likely always have at least one or two in the future)-how much of an issue do these dogs have going after household animals?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Active Pup

Our Silken Windhound shares the house with an 10 pound Italian Greyhound, a 40 pound Aussie Mix, and a 70 pound Spinone Italiano... we also keep chickens, cats, a pig, and many small animals... she's been socialized with them all and is great with them. Proper socialization is key with any dog... Silkens definitely don't have crazy prey drive, a novice owner would be fine adding a Silken to the mix...
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Obey the Toad.

How does one fine a good breeder?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.