Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I haven't lost any weight at all. . I've been busting my ass with my personal trainer, gave up cokes, strayed cooking my own meals and... Nothing. It's really disappointing and frustrating. I know I need to get back on medicine for my Pcos but I was hoping for SOME improvement on my own.

Feeling really down about it all. Why do I bust my ass for no results.
((((HUGS))))
Are you measuring yourself? But I know how you feel... I have been on a weight loss plateau all year long. I bust my butt and the scale doesn't budge. I started measuring and that helps a bit.... But it takes a long time to see results there (for me at least). And then there's my mind that thinks that I look exactly the same than I did 60 lbs ago. It's such a mindf****.

Pcos sucks. It just seems that it puts a barrier in your body. "Here stupid, you can't loose more weight than up to here."
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm All Ears

No weight loss. I keep fluctuatin the same 10 lbs over and over. The only change I've noticed is that the workouts aren't *quite* as killer. But that's it.

I'm going to call my doctor this week I think.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
No weight loss. I keep fluctuatin the same 10 lbs over and over. The only change I've noticed is that the workouts aren't *quite* as killer. But that's it.

I'm going to call my doctor this week I think.
A call to the doctor certainly wouldn't hurt. But you note that the workouts aren't "quite as killer". If the workouts are getting easier by any measure (even the slightest) then there are your results - cardiovascular efficiency, muscle tone, etc. You may have built some muscle and purged some fat.

Call your doctor, make sure what you're doing is correct for you, but above all, please DON'T give up!

I spent the last 20+ years on the weight yoyo and many times simply gave up because I didn't get the results I wanted when I wanted them and got fed up. Now in my 40s I'm running again and feel great. The regrets I have from being unable to do some things I could have been doing for 20 years are all I have to show for that.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
I haven't lost any weight at all. . I've been busting my ass with my personal trainer, gave up cokes, strayed cooking my own meals and... Nothing. It's really disappointing and frustrating. I know I need to get back on medicine for my Pcos but I was hoping for SOME improvement on my own.

Feeling really down about it all. Why do I bust my ass for no results.
You definitely need to check in with a doctor because PCOS really complicates the whole thing.
That is not to say you can't do anything and that it's impossible without a doctor. We can take a look and troubleshoot in the meantime.

Can you post a typical day's meal - what you eat, calorie content, carb content, fat and protein levels?
Are you tracking your food? And religiously tracking it - sometimes people have bad habits and underestimate portion sizes and weights. Personally I know I overestimate, which isn't any better. Religiously tracking is my goal right now, because I have an amount I naturally tend to eat and it's not enough, and if I don't track my food and see the numbers in front of me (like hey, stupid, you only ate 1300 calories. You better shovel about 500 more calories into your face.) I don't eat more. If you are what did last week look like?
I know we talked before about your TDEE - where are you at with these numbers compared to how much you're actually eating? Use this calculator if you want to calculate it out again:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Jules is right about taking measurements as well, but I would expect if you were having success with that you wouldn't feel like you were busting your ass for nothing.

Let's start with these questions and see if anything immediate starts popping out...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm All Ears

I am not tracking my food right now. I should, I know, but haven't found recipes that have nutritional data attached. I have been cooking foods from either gluten free or paleo recipes for meals and trying to eat the amount they say is one serving. So my roast was four servings and I ate it over four meals. I know for sure I am eating less than I was because Monday I tried eating a meal I used to and did not come close to finishing it.

Yesterday's food: no breakfast which is bad. :/
Lunch: BBQ turkey, peas, carrots
Dinner: roast with redskin potatoes and carrots.

I had one glass of lemonade too. So looking at that I need more green veggies and less starchy ones? I need breakfast too.

It's jut frustrating because before I was eating burgers and fries and pizza and whatnot and nothing has changed. My clothes still fit the same. I haven't checked measurements yet but my trainer is going to run a full scan in a month wih fat and muscle percentages.

He recommended a dietician but I tried that for a year and had no results. My TDEE according to hat site says 1900 Cals and when I did the test at the dietician last year I believe it put me around 2000 or so.

Other symptoms and side effects of Pcos have gotten worse over the last year to two as well. I always assume that is tied to the weight gain but I'm not sure whih caused which. This may be tmi but I am actually having occasional periods while not on hormones/birth control right now maybe every three months. That is better than usual.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I think you might be eating way too little. That really looks like not much food, especially without breakfast. It seems stupid that not eating enough can be a "thing" when everybody talks like just eating less is the magic bullet, so obviously eating WAY less should help - but it's bad for a variety of reasons. Especially when you add intense workouts into the mix, because you're not feeding your body in a way that will help you be successful.
That's my problem right now too and why it's my goal for this challenge to track my food and make sure I'm eating what I'm supposed to be eating. Especially when you switch to eating in a more paleo-type style, it happens a LOT. On the Nerd Fitness forums, at least once a week somebody posts about how they're not eating very much. Protein makes you feel not very hungry and paleo puts protein at the center of your meals.

I would say pick up a cheap food scale and start measuring/weighing everything when you cook, and track it in something like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople. See where your numbers are falling. Eating good food is one thing, but another part of the primal/paleo diet is balancing macros (fat, protein, carbs), especially if you're doing it for weight loss or to fuel workout requirements. I'd just start by tracking and making sure you're eating enough, then after that start adjusting macros.

Breakfasts can be fast and easy, I make microwave scrambled eggs if I'm in a hurry and failed to prep anything else. Eggs are a good source of protein and cheap so good to have. Also goes good with any other protein source. Sausage and egg, bacon and egg, steak and egg, chicken and egg, it's all good. You can make a batch of "egg muffins" and keep them in the freezer, then just pop a couple in the microwave in the morning to reheat.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Again I couldn't finish my lunch. I went to the cafeteria which is not great but is better than fast food. I had pork loin and peas and corn (no non grain options looked decent).

My problem with food tracking is tying to find all the necessary nutritional information on recipes I cook.

I had a sprite for breakfast because I was feeling nauseas and that helps some. I know... Bad.

Dinner will be the rest of the disgusting gluten free pasta I have left (not doing that again) with roasted tomatoes.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If you use something like Sparkpeople, it finds the nutritional information for you. You just tell it stuff like "4 ounces of Pepperjack Cheese" and it does everything for you. The only thing you have to worry about is the weights or how many cups, stuff like that.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Yeah, I use sparkpeople all the time. Just measure what you are having and often the stuff is in the database. You can even build your own recipe by knowing what quantities and all go into the recipe.

As far as cheap scales go, you can spend a ton or not very much. I have one I got at walmart that has served me well, but it only weighs in 2 gram increments. I just picked up one for 15 bucks at bed bath and beyond that weighs in 1 gram increments. It's "biggest loser" branded and fairly compact.

The best advice I can give about cooking and measuring is to be deliberate. Don't guestimate the quantities. Know what you are having and in what amounts. It's eye opening once you really discipline yourself to do that.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I haven't really eaten anything today... I ate two raspberries and felt like throwing up. I ate a single strawberry then put the rest away. I ate the rest of some paleo cookies I made a few nights ago... amounts to about three tablespoons of peanut butter.

But I guess it's okay because yesterday after leaving the hospital I went to Sonic and got a peanut butter banana milkshake and drank half it.

It will probably even out.

The Sheltiechick Blog