Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

A friend of my dad's - actually the person who introduced us to Auggie's breeder - said I can borrow their a-frame. I can get it on Sunday. If I built my own it probably wouldn't be quite done Sunday anyway, so this works out best. I can borrow it and get Payton used to a full-sized a-frame before his trial, then when my dad gets better he can help me build a new a-frame... instead of me trying to enlist my mom's help to build it this weekend. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Try putting a harness on him and doing restrained sends. Do you have a tunnel and will he do it yet? You can do them to wraps too. Start really close, pull back a bit on the harness - or just take hold of it if he seems upset by you pulling on the harness - then say "GO!" and "send" him to the tunnel or wrap. Then just gradually start backing up more and more. You should find he starts pulling more on the harness as you progress too. You want him straining when you grab the harness or at least leaning into it because he's amped up ready to explode forth.
YES! GOOD idea! He does drive to the tunnel a bit, but I definitely need to focus more on that. I don't have a harness, but I can always like hold his chest or something to rev him up - that's how I practice recalls sometimes anyway since I usually don't have anyone to like help me by restraining him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
The Punk update:

Punky came into heat the day before her 8 month birthday. So that limited (a little bit) what we could do and not do, mainly any off leash work (not worried about her but other dogs coming to visit).

Her 2o2o work on a plank is solid, smarty pants wont break no matter what I do until she hears the release. Her wraps and sends are coming along nicely along with some lateral work.

I am really pleased with her heeling and pivot work. My puppy however didn't have much of a sit Still makes me giggle when she can so many other things and tricks but we had no sit. The looks I got from folks after they watched her to handstands etc, and then I told them she didn't know sit was very funny lol. But we are starting to get some nice sits now.

I introduced her to a lowered teeter last night for the bang game. She very quickly started jumping on from the side, running to the end and riding it down with me guiding it when it was higher. Note: training for a skateboard, wobble boards, balance disks were started in the whelping box and have continued to this time. I could then take off, she would hold the position until released, racing to me and coming to the right side.
Oh yeah I, too, would LOVE to see more videos of Punky! She sounds so awesome.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Trialed today. We got in last night from 2.5 weeks away (Lucy was boarding with our instructor). I'm not sure if our first runs were a giant "screw you for leaving me for so long!" or a "YAHOO, WE ARE PLAYING AGAIN, WEEEEEEEEE!", but either way we didn't hit too many obstacles. I was pleased that I managed to just. keep. moving. to try to keep her focus on me.

Chances was obnoxious, because we actually did the distance send perfectly, ran the whole course lovely, but I didn't realize she had crossed the line at one point. Boo. Still, I'm thrilled at the distance I got from her. It was a serpentine of jumps to a tunnel around 15 feet away.

In weavers she hit 2 out of 3 weaves perfectly first time through! WOOHOO, we broke our "6 months without a successful weave in a trial" curse.

Then we nailed jumpers for the last run of the day, and the only Q of the day. Soooooo...now we have to go back tomorrow, because clearly she was getting better as the day went on

ALSO! It is august, but it was rainy and overcast and I was able to car crate, YAYYYYY.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Keeping this short since I have no Internet since I had to unplug my electronics since my carpet flooded....

1. Running two dogs in agility then doing nosework in 100 degree heat is exhausting!

2. My dogs held up in the heat SO WELL. We had fans and wetted them down. Mia was the speediest she's been in a long time.

3. Summer face planted off the table.

4. Major breakthrough wih weaves! Omg, my new trainer's method seems to click perfectly. No stress signals for either dog and no guides either. They were full blast running the channels happily. Woohoo!

5. My dogs are awesome. I really love them.

6. I need to work on shaping a down from a stand because I never did that and my dogs have to be told sit then down and it's wasting my course time on the table.

I miss my old instructor though I still see her for tricks class but I'm living getting new ideas. My new trainer is great about seeing issues we've never had brought up before.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Sport Model Pug

Well, our first nationals is a wrap. Here's the breakdown of the awesomeness.

Izzie ran 4/6 clean, the other two were gamblers and we struggle with those HOWEVER our openings had more points than we got at regionals so that's a win.

She also placed 6th and 5th in her jumpers rounds and 5th and 10th in her standard rounds which means she got 4 pretty rosettes!

Overall we ended up in 11th place in 6" DD vets, missing the podium by less than 2 points. (There's more to the podium story but it is what it is and is rather not hash it out yet again.)

We had an AMAZING time and Izzie ran so well. I didn't cry all weekend and then I stepped off our last run on Sunday and just started bawling. Deep ugly crying and people were concerned I was hurt or my dog was hurt and then when I told them we just ran 4/6 clean with placements at our first nationals, I got lots of high fives. Agility people are pretty awesome sometimes.

Other than our runs (of which none made it to video as I forgot to charge my camera, bad handler!) we had fun meeting up with friends from other places and watching some of the best teams from all over canada run their dogs (swagger is so much more handsome in real life and who's brother is stinkin cute).

On to NB next year

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

2. My dogs held up in the heat SO WELL. We had fans and wetted them down. Mia was the speediest she's been in a long time.

6. I need to work on shaping a down from a stand because I never did that and my dogs have to be told sit then down and it's wasting my course time on the table.

Jealous! Lola struggles a lot in the heat. She'll still play, just is extremely "Ho hum". Luckily I think we've seen the last of the 90+ degree days this year.

What we did when we first learned the table, was send them up there and then wait them out 30 seconds or so to see if they offered a down. If she didn't, I'd tell her down. The next time I'd wait her out again and she'd usually offer it. After a while of that we were getting pretty quick auto-downs on the table. ..... Until of course she randomly decided that auto-bows were really much flashier and now we waste tons and tons of time on the table.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Izzie ran 4/6 clean, the other two were gamblers and we struggle with those HOWEVER our openings had more points than we got at regionals so that's a win.

She also placed 6th and 5th in her jumpers rounds and 5th and 10th in her standard rounds which means she got 4 pretty rosettes!

Overall we ended up in 11th place in 6" DD vets, missing the podium by less than 2 points. (There's more to the podium story but it is what it is and is rather not hash it out yet again.)

On to NB next year
So much awesome! Maybe next year we can car pool!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
So much awesome! Maybe next year we can car pool!
Lol! No driving! We're flying for sure. Izzie can come in cabin =) yay little dog!

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Lol! No driving! We're flying for sure. Izzie can come in cabin =) yay little dog!
Aw, lucky you! And yeah, driving would seriously suck, lol.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Mandi, was it Desmond you met? I've been following his owner's FB updates on the week!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi