Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Weaves are getting there!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm All Ears

Do you think a cik/cap or something like that is helpful. Last night we were working wraps and my new trainer uses cik/cap. We have not used any of that and just relied on body language. Overall my dogs wrapped pretty nicely, I'm still having to go out a lot further with Mia vs Summer to get her to commit. Summer did backjump once but other than that, she was wrapping well.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Do you think a cik/cap or something like that is helpful. Last night we were working wraps and my new trainer uses cik/cap. We have not used any of that and just relied on body language. Overall my dogs wrapped pretty nicely, I'm still having to go out a lot further with Mia vs Summer to get her to commit. Summer did backjump once but other than that, she was wrapping well.
The bigger your dog's stride and the more technical/variable the courses are, the more important it is for your dog to have a clear understanding of collection and extension: how and when to do each, how and when to transition between them.

How you convey that information doesn't really matter so long as you are clear, your dog understands, and you are able to communicate fluidly on course, at speed.

Just my two cents, anyway.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I think teaching wraps is helpful for tighter turns. Cik/cap is one way to do it. I asked Trkman before foundations ended about using just one word for cik/cap. I keep forgetting which way is cik and which is cap and if I keep forgetting that while just standing around training there is NO way I will remember that running a trial. I asked how using one word works, if it's more about body language at that point, or what. She said plenty of people use just one word and it's not confusing to the dog but didn't elaborate how it's different really. When I watched Dave Munnings DVD this weekend, he talked some about wraps (he doesn't do cik/cap) and it's about being very precise with your body language. It seems like it would be easier if you could just say cik/cap and the dog would know "okay wrap this and this way" and could perform it even if your body language is less than precise... but both probably have their own advantages and disadvantages.
And for me it's not going to happen to remember cik/cap. I sometimes can't even remember which way is left or right to begin with. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think teaching wraps is helpful for tighter turns. Cik/cap is one way to do it. I asked Trkman before foundations ended about using just one word for cik/cap. I keep forgetting which way is cik and which is cap and if I keep forgetting that while just standing around training there is NO way I will remember that running a trial. I asked how using one word works, if it's more about body language at that point, or what. She said plenty of people use just one word and it's not confusing to the dog but didn't elaborate how it's different really. When I watched Dave Munnings DVD this weekend, he talked some about wraps (he doesn't do cik/cap) and it's about being very precise with your body language. It seems like it would be easier if you could just say cik/cap and the dog would know "okay wrap this and this way" and could perform it even if your body language is less than precise... but both probably have their own advantages and disadvantages.
And for me it's not going to happen to remember cik/cap. I sometimes can't even remember which way is left or right to begin with. =P
Ah yes that's what I meant. We've done work getting the dogs to wrap each direction but generally don't use a directional cue with it. It's either body language or just 'wrap'. So far both my dogs seem to know exactly which direction I am wanting. It's already interesting seeing differences in training styles even within the same school (this trainer was my last trainer's trainer, if that makes sense)

I too am never going to remember cik/cap. I have no idea which is which.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I would guess the difference is that if you have a single verbal cue, you are using the verbal to cue the jump wrap and your visual cues to indicate direction whereas dual cues tell the dog to jump and wrap in a particular direction *despite* any information your body is giving. The benefit would be more flexibility to move around the course independent of your dog. The drawback would be having to use the correct verbal on the rub and potentially desensitizing your dog to body cues. And simply additional training time as in general verbal cues are less intuitive for the dogs, especially when running contrary to motion cues.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm All Ears

One thing to remember is that I am the person who was also mixing up the word 'jump' and 'tunnel' last night. I swear every freaking time I called that tunnel a jump.

I did end up with some really good feedback (while I'm thinking about it). Apparently if I'm ahead of my dog and looking back to catch eye contact (like a curved tunnel I've sent them out to) I cannot run in a straight line. I run diagonally and subsequently make my dogs miss the next obstacle because I'm pushing them out.

I think this was one of our issues at our trial, lol.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I would guess the difference is that if you have a single verbal cue, you are using the verbal to cue the jump wrap and your visual cues to indicate direction whereas dual cues tell the dog to jump and wrap in a particular direction *despite* any information your body is giving. The benefit would be more flexibility to move around the course independent of your dog. The drawback would be having to use the correct verbal on the rub and potentially desensitizing your dog to body cues. And simply additional training time as in general verbal cues are less intuitive for the dogs, especially when running contrary to motion cues.
That's about how I see it too. One is "hey my body language is important!" and the other is "hey my body language isn't important!"

The things we teach our dogs. I mean. "If I say 'weave' you should go weave regardless of where I'm standing. And then when you're done you need to look at where I'm standing so you can determine what to do next. Also LOOK AT MY SHOULDERS, MY SHOULDERS, AND WHERE IS MY HAND POINTING??" Poor dogs LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm All Ears

Pretty unhappy USDAA did not add in any lower jump height. :/
Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

I was surprised that they didn't; the changes are nice for me (Gusto can be 18" Championship as long as I decide I'm happy with the a-frame height), but I really expected a 10" championship height.

I've heard two "reasons" (neither from a reputable source, just other competitors). One is that there is already an 8" option available for small dogs (and I think down to 4" once you hit 8 years old); the other is that the changes were made to please the people who are already members, and that the small dog people would continue to use the course times and a-frame height as excuses to stay away from USDAA anyway. The first reason kind of makes sense to me; the second just sounds snippy and stupid. You can't say that until you offer what they are looking for.

Maybe as people adjust to the new heights they will look at adding another lower height.