Agility training

adojrts

Fair enough. There is a difference between 'happy it is gone' and 'expected it gone' I guess. Time is the reason I have heard given for removing it/making it positionless. Everyone gets to go home earlier when you don't spend extra time waiting for dogs to lie down.
Didn't expect to be gone but I am happy there are changes, if that makes sense.

I was told the AAC made the change to bring us more in line with other orgs and the table performance requirements over seas.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
We leave for nationals on Thursday.

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. Today is my last day of work so I have 2 days off to over think absolutely everything lol!
So jealous! We will be there next year :)
Briar will always down on the table as it's automatic for him. Penny, it's automatic but she has such a big chest that it doesn't always look like she's fully down. With the new rule, does that mean I'm better retraining her to sit on the table rather than have a judge be iffy that she is really doing a down? Or do they just have to not move from a position (whatever it is) once they get on the table?

Also, look at us go in our masters level course.. think we stand a chance of getting out of starters?! Just ignore the fact that I'm a crappy handler (only been 8 months LOL) and that knocked bar at #3!
[YOUTUBE]Db2IVM4PrTk[/YOUTUBE]

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Briar looks good!!

I took the boys to the house tonight so I could work more with Payton on the dog walk. The very first time he got on it, it was hot from sitting in the sun all day, and he was startled by it being hot so he bailed off it and didn't want to go back on the flat plank. He'd go up the plank and then down to do his contact but didn't want to go across it. So I was clickering him and letting him be in control, but he still wasn't looking very confident. I decided to try backchaining it instead... that did the trick! We weren't there for very long and he was doing the entire dog walk by the time we were done. I only asked him for it about two more times after he offered a full dog walk to me. He then followed Auggie across it later.

Auggie.
Oh Auggie.
I wanted Auggie to do the dog walk in hopes Payton would see him do it and feel more confident. So I brought him with us. Also he needs a tiny refresher since I entered him one day in August. We got to the house and I opened the gate to the agility yard.
And he saw the dog walk.
He looked at me like MOM! MOM! then took off running so fast I had to sprint to catch up. He ran across the dog walk, spun around after doing his contact and ran back the other way. Repeat about ten times. I really don't think I've ever seen him look so happy. Our VERY OWN dog walk, he says.
<3

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
So jealous! We will be there next year :)
Briar will always down on the table as it's automatic for him. Penny, it's automatic but she has such a big chest that it doesn't always look like she's fully down. With the new rule, does that mean I'm better retraining her to sit on the table rather than have a judge be iffy that she is really doing a down? Or do they just have to not move from a position (whatever it is) once they get on the table?

Also, look at us go in our masters level course.. think we stand a chance of getting out of starters?! Just ignore the fact that I'm a crappy handler (only been 8 months LOL) and that knocked bar at #3!
[YOUTUBE]Db2IVM4PrTk[/YOUTUBE]
I hope to go next year as well! Gotta save up the cash though.

The table count will start when four feet are on the table, no matter the position.

The reason the bar came down was you were late with your information to the dog. So he didn't have the information to turn soon enough. But otherwise looking good!

Starters is hard for some dogs as its more open and straight generally. Depends what courses works best with your handling and your dogs abilities. You'll learn what certain judges throw too.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Yeah, I heard rumors that Nationals were heading to New Brunswick next year.. not sure how true that is or if it's more wishful thinking on the Maritimes part ;) If we have it our way, you better really start saving!! Maybe they will meet in the middle& give it to Ontario.

I am alwayssss late with blind crosses. We have Q'd out of Starters Gamblers& I have 1 Q in Jumpers ..hoping to get my second& be done with it this weekend. Briar is definitely too fast to do super well in starters Jumpers. We had a 19.99 second run last trial ..SCT was 54sec& he knocked the second last bar. Ugh.

BostonBanker

Yay! Have fun at Nationals! I was panicked when I went to Cynosport, but once I was there all was fine. It's just another agility trial, but with cooler venders:D I'm so sad our Nationals is so far away next year; I'd really hoped to get Gusto ready to go, but four days of driving isn't going to happen. Maybe 2015!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Yeah, I heard rumors that Nationals were heading to New Brunswick next year.. not sure how true that is or if it's more wishful thinking on the Maritimes part ;) If we have it our way, you better really start saving!! Maybe they will meet in the middle& give it to Ontario.

I am alwayssss late with blind crosses. We have Q'd out of Starters Gamblers& I have 1 Q in Jumpers ..hoping to get my second& be done with it this weekend. Briar is definitely too fast to do super well in starters Jumpers. We had a 19.99 second run last trial ..SCT was 54sec& he knocked the second last bar. Ugh.
It's no rumour as far as I know. Sussex, NB I believe?

Just gotta know how to handle those courses which comes with experience. I ran a jumpers with a green Brittany and even with fixing our refusals we were in the low 20s for time. I had no idea how to handle for her.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Yay! Have fun at Nationals! I was panicked when I went to Cynosport, but once I was there all was fine. It's just another agility trial, but with cooler venders:D I'm so sad our Nationals is so far away next year; I'd really hoped to get Gusto ready to go, but four days of driving isn't going to happen. Maybe 2015!
I have an amazing group and we reserved out benching right behind the beer tent lol. It'll be great and im really excited. It's Izzie first event at 6" double drop veterans. She loves 6" so far so I'm excited to see what we can put down.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Yup, Sussex! Hopefully, after we have a little more experience& training through this winter, we'll be able to qualify& do fairly well at regionals next year. We have a long way to go (clearly ..ahaha) but my fingers are crossed!

Also, when you get to Nationals, keep your eyes peeled for a Vizsla named Olive! Apparently, she's pretty awesome. People keep mentioning her going when I say I have a Vizsla.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
First class with the new trainer went well! My evening went: run home from work then change as fast as possible. Run to agility where I run two dogs. Hurry to nosework and run Summer then run Mia.

I'm tired.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Do you think a cik/cap or something like that is helpful. Last night we were working wraps and my new trainer uses cik/cap. We have not used any of that and just relied on body language. Overall my dogs wrapped pretty nicely, I'm still having to go out a lot further with Mia vs Summer to get her to commit. Summer did backjump once but other than that, she was wrapping well.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Do you think a cik/cap or something like that is helpful. Last night we were working wraps and my new trainer uses cik/cap. We have not used any of that and just relied on body language. Overall my dogs wrapped pretty nicely, I'm still having to go out a lot further with Mia vs Summer to get her to commit. Summer did backjump once but other than that, she was wrapping well.
The bigger your dog's stride and the more technical/variable the courses are, the more important it is for your dog to have a clear understanding of collection and extension: how and when to do each, how and when to transition between them.

How you convey that information doesn't really matter so long as you are clear, your dog understands, and you are able to communicate fluidly on course, at speed.

Just my two cents, anyway.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think teaching wraps is helpful for tighter turns. Cik/cap is one way to do it. I asked Trkman before foundations ended about using just one word for cik/cap. I keep forgetting which way is cik and which is cap and if I keep forgetting that while just standing around training there is NO way I will remember that running a trial. I asked how using one word works, if it's more about body language at that point, or what. She said plenty of people use just one word and it's not confusing to the dog but didn't elaborate how it's different really. When I watched Dave Munnings DVD this weekend, he talked some about wraps (he doesn't do cik/cap) and it's about being very precise with your body language. It seems like it would be easier if you could just say cik/cap and the dog would know "okay wrap this and this way" and could perform it even if your body language is less than precise... but both probably have their own advantages and disadvantages.
And for me it's not going to happen to remember cik/cap. I sometimes can't even remember which way is left or right to begin with. =P

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think teaching wraps is helpful for tighter turns. Cik/cap is one way to do it. I asked Trkman before foundations ended about using just one word for cik/cap. I keep forgetting which way is cik and which is cap and if I keep forgetting that while just standing around training there is NO way I will remember that running a trial. I asked how using one word works, if it's more about body language at that point, or what. She said plenty of people use just one word and it's not confusing to the dog but didn't elaborate how it's different really. When I watched Dave Munnings DVD this weekend, he talked some about wraps (he doesn't do cik/cap) and it's about being very precise with your body language. It seems like it would be easier if you could just say cik/cap and the dog would know "okay wrap this and this way" and could perform it even if your body language is less than precise... but both probably have their own advantages and disadvantages.
And for me it's not going to happen to remember cik/cap. I sometimes can't even remember which way is left or right to begin with. =P
Ah yes that's what I meant. We've done work getting the dogs to wrap each direction but generally don't use a directional cue with it. It's either body language or just 'wrap'. So far both my dogs seem to know exactly which direction I am wanting. It's already interesting seeing differences in training styles even within the same school (this trainer was my last trainer's trainer, if that makes sense)

I too am never going to remember cik/cap. I have no idea which is which.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I would guess the difference is that if you have a single verbal cue, you are using the verbal to cue the jump wrap and your visual cues to indicate direction whereas dual cues tell the dog to jump and wrap in a particular direction *despite* any information your body is giving. The benefit would be more flexibility to move around the course independent of your dog. The drawback would be having to use the correct verbal on the rub and potentially desensitizing your dog to body cues. And simply additional training time as in general verbal cues are less intuitive for the dogs, especially when running contrary to motion cues.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
One thing to remember is that I am the person who was also mixing up the word 'jump' and 'tunnel' last night. I swear every freaking time I called that tunnel a jump.

I did end up with some really good feedback (while I'm thinking about it). Apparently if I'm ahead of my dog and looking back to catch eye contact (like a curved tunnel I've sent them out to) I cannot run in a straight line. I run diagonally and subsequently make my dogs miss the next obstacle because I'm pushing them out.

I think this was one of our issues at our trial, lol.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I would guess the difference is that if you have a single verbal cue, you are using the verbal to cue the jump wrap and your visual cues to indicate direction whereas dual cues tell the dog to jump and wrap in a particular direction *despite* any information your body is giving. The benefit would be more flexibility to move around the course independent of your dog. The drawback would be having to use the correct verbal on the rub and potentially desensitizing your dog to body cues. And simply additional training time as in general verbal cues are less intuitive for the dogs, especially when running contrary to motion cues.
That's about how I see it too. One is "hey my body language is important!" and the other is "hey my body language isn't important!"

The things we teach our dogs. I mean. "If I say 'weave' you should go weave regardless of where I'm standing. And then when you're done you need to look at where I'm standing so you can determine what to do next. Also LOOK AT MY SHOULDERS, MY SHOULDERS, AND WHERE IS MY HAND POINTING??" Poor dogs LOL.

BostonBanker

I was surprised that they didn't; the changes are nice for me (Gusto can be 18" Championship as long as I decide I'm happy with the a-frame height), but I really expected a 10" championship height.

I've heard two "reasons" (neither from a reputable source, just other competitors). One is that there is already an 8" option available for small dogs (and I think down to 4" once you hit 8 years old); the other is that the changes were made to please the people who are already members, and that the small dog people would continue to use the course times and a-frame height as excuses to stay away from USDAA anyway. The first reason kind of makes sense to me; the second just sounds snippy and stupid. You can't say that until you offer what they are looking for.

Maybe as people adjust to the new heights they will look at adding another lower height.

Members online