Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Default Blue Dog Bakery treats

Any opinions on their dog treats? My dogs love them but the ones I have now have molasses in it not sure just how bad that is. http://www.bluedogbakery.com/index
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Love my pets

I buy them all the time. I remember my one dog that was getting older and not eating as well needed me to make her some food. I was told to put molasses in it for some nutrients.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM
orange iguanas.

I haven't heard of that specific brand, but molasses is fine.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

They were the favorite treats that both Farley & Chloe loved
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Molasses is sugar and not good for cats or dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiefur View Post
Any opinions on their dog treats? My dogs love them but the ones I have now have molasses in it not sure just how bad that is. http://www.bluedogbakery.com/index
Of course all manufacturers of treats make them taste good to cats/dogs including the toxic ones that come from China and the ones that contained melamine in 2007 that sickened and killed huge unknown numbers of cats/dogs.

The only thing that matters in a pet food or treat is the ingredient list, for this example Blue Dog Bakery Peanut Butter & Molasses Flavor and thereís nothing good in it.

These treats basically contain nothing but carbohydrates in the form of starches and sugars, all of which are harmful to dogs.
Molasses certainly isnít OK as an ingredient as it is almost all sugar and a whopping 84% carbohydrates; a dogís natural diet is 6% carbohydrates.

Dogs donít process carbohydrates whatsoever like humans do; dogs get their energy from protein and fats, not from carbohydrates.
Starches + sugars = carbohydrates = huge swings in blood sugar and insulin, insulin resistance and high blood sugar leading to obesity, diabetes, hypertension, cataracts, allergies and many more serious illness and disease often leading to premature death, similar to those found in humans.

Hereís what a really bad ingredient list looks like in treats: Unbleached wheat flour, whole wheat flour, blackstrap molasses, palm oil, whey, oats, natural caramel color, nonfat milk, egg powder, salt, baking soda, natural peanut butter flavor, brewers yeast.
Contains only 9% protein and a whopping 70% carbohydrates.

Hereís what a really good ingredient list looks like in treats: Angus beef liver, boneless Black Angus beef, Black Angus tripe (Guaranteed Fresh and Preservative-Free).
Contains 35% protein and only 8% carbohydrates.

The first ingredient list above is Blue Dog Bakery Peanut Butter & Molasses Flavor and the second is Orijen Black Angus Beef/Single-Source Biologically Appropriate Dog Treats.

Yes, thereís a huge, huge difference in price but an even bigger difference in nutrition for your dog... one contains almost all harmful ingredients and the other the exact opposite.

Without a doubt, the cheapest and most nutritious treats for cats/dogs are the ones pet owners make themselves.
Simply finely chop some chicken and liver, form into small pieces and put in a food dehydrator or at a very low oven temperature to evaporate the moisture.

Blue Dog Bakery can be bought at Walmart where they sell the worst of the worst pet foods including Olí Roy, Pedigree, Purina, Iams, etc.
Thereís reasons why you can buy at Walmart a box of Blue Dog Bakery treats for under $5 and a 40 lb. bag of Olí Roy dog food for under $23.... and those reasons are very bad for cats/dogs.

Dr. Karen Becker, DVM wrote a couple of excellent articles on the good and bad ingredients in treats, including molasses: Stick With Safe and Nutritious Pet Treats and China Responds to U.S. Concerns About Tainted Pet Treats

We all want whatís good for our pets; the most important thing is to read the ingredient list on anything you feed your cat/dog and familiarize yourself with both the good and harmful ingredients.
Roger Biduk
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Just exactly what IS a dogs natural diet?

For one, there isn't ANYTHING natural about a domesticated dog. They're a man made phenomena. They were built, designed, dreamt up by our ancestors for their uses, and I doubt.... I seriously DOUBT that they would have been fed on the prime and scarce meat cuts, cast off etc that you seem to think they were.

They were NOT catching their own prey. They were tools, expendable no doubt at times, and I very, very much doubt... our ancestors gave a hoot if the dogs were eating meals consisting of any old thing.

Feral dogs will scavenge and eat anything. Vegetable matter, meat, sometimes mineral for that matter. It's how dogs have done SO well being our companions.

You talk like dogs have evolved to only eat meat la la la. It simply can't be true, it can't be how they have existed for so many years. I am not talking IDEAL diet. But the diet they've had for hundreds, if not thousands, of years probably wasn't barf or perfectly raw at ALL.

I know what you're saying, but bejesus..... You do know pandas are omnivorous right??? You see what I'm saying with that right??? They don't just eat bamboo!!! You understand what I am saying here, don't you??? Physiology doesn't always dictate behaviour. Absolute and utter FACT.

So to say a "dogs natural diet", is actually pretty laughable on a zoological level... What IS a dogs natural diet I ask you???? Where are these natural dogs???

Signed dizzy, BSc (hons) applied zoology and BA social work
RAW FOOD FEEDER
Aged 32 and a 1/4.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

You are correct in a lot of what you say Dizzy

Actually though one of the prevalent theories about how dogs became domesticated is that the wolves did it sort of themselves in a way.

The relationship and proximity to humans was adventageous for them and as it turns out for us. So both sides let it continue and benefited from it. It may have begun with something as simple as wolves scavenging from human midden heaps and cooperative hunting...

From there they developed in to landraces...breeds are a relatively new thing. So they are not entirely a man made phenomenon.

Most canids are skilled scavengers and can tolerate a wide range of food.

Now cats are obligate carnivores and must have meat...dogs are way more flexible

Moth...also a biologist and a anthropologist

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I think my point is, that there is no natural dog diet as I'm not sure there is a natural modern domestic dog!

We can talk about historic dogs, wild dogs, wolves, but a modern domestic dog is no more natural than my ipad, neither is their diet.

They haven't been naturally fed for centuries.

Anyway, I did start a new thread to discuss it, as I'm interested to learn and discuss!!!

(Eta, my zoology degree was when I was 18, I can't remember bugger all from it lol. It sounds good though eh I spent far, far too much time expanding my mind and not my brain.... Oops).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

I use them when I don't feel like making my own, as well as pupperoni, beggin strips, etc. Obi is the least food motivated dog ever (unless you put it in the garbage and leave the house) so I use what works. It's called a "treat" for a reason. The DQ Blizzard I ate yesterday isn't part of my natural diet either, but I feel like I earned it.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm All Ears

I even let Summer eat a milkbone every now and then! She loves them.

It's a treat... You shouldn't be feedin them tons of crap treats but now and again?