Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Keegan's 2 1/2 and still intact. Whatever issues he has, I treat them as training issues, not "because he has balls" issues. He gets along with most other dogs, neutered and intact, though there's the occasional male that he doesn't like. I've personally handled A LOT of neutered males, and I don't see Keegan's dislike for some dogs to be particularly different than neutered males.

There's a basenji in our agility class that Keegan can't decide if he likes or not. I thought he was unsure, because the basenji is intact, but then I noticed that most of the males in the class can't figure out the basenji either, so I think it's just a basenji thing.

He also does mark a lot, but honestly he doesn't mark much more than my female, spayed Chihuahua does.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I can't be of much help I don't think because Buddy is only my second male since Bear, who was the best male ever I think, he does mark but only outside & is not aggressive with any dogs, intact or not, male or female.

Buddy also marks but only outside, he was neutered when I adopted him but since he was found as a stray, I don't know if he was neutered when they found him or not.

But if you plan to keep him intact, I have noticed that neutered males tend to have a strong dislike for intact males, something to think about whenever you have him out with other dogs or are at the DP.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Top Dog

You never can tell. It's totally random. All my dogs before King were intact. King, who went last December was neutered at 3, and as far as I could see, he didn't change at all, he still was peeing constantly, and had ZERO tolerance for a dog that was aggressive towards him. My Pit Mix Gus did a lot of marking, but was very timid in most respects, unless pushed too far. Too far in his case was taking a couple of bites before retaliating. The dog before him, Joe, a yellow Lab was not nearly as timid as he was, but like Gus, never would start a fight, with the exception of with his "arch enemy", Logan, another yellow Lab who had attacked him out of nowhere. Those two hated each other big time. The dog before that, my Beagle Farfel, well, he was known at the vet's office as "The Scrapper", he would tolerate almost any abuse from a puppy, but an adult dog that showed any aggression, regardless of size, would find out that a big Beagle that knows how to fight is no pushover. He seemed to really enjoy his rumbles, and dropped dead after he had won his final bought. It was a good way to go, he had a lot of problems and didn't have long to go, no matter what.