Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but my husband and I just had a conversation about a friend of his who died trying to save her dog from a house fire a few years back, and it got me thinking about it. While it differs in opinion, personally I admire her bravery, and wish that if something like that happened, I'd have the guts to do the same thing, though weather or not I actually would, I can't say.

So, the question is, if your dogs were in a life or death situation like that, would you risk your life to save them?
Been doggin hogs for about 35 years. What do you think?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Would I inadvertently risk my life to save him? Yes. Adrenaline, love, whatever, if he was in danger I would do my damndest to save him.. even if it meant that looking back, I had risked my life.
It would have to be a knee jerk response, he runs into the road, I go running after him..just out of instinct.

Would I KNOWINGLY put my life on the line and die for him? No.

I can't say for certain.. but if faced with a similar situation.. my building is on fire, the floors are collapsing, and I know he's in there. I don't think I would run in.
It hurts to even think about.. but I can't imagine running into that situation knowing there is a GOOD chance I could die (smoke, fire, floors collapsing etc..) trying to get to him. I have a huge family, I have someone I love, I just..can't imagine.
I hate to sound callous but that's just how I feel.
That's pretty much it. The thought of a fire just terrifies me, and I'd feel extra awful if Gavroche was in a fire, as he's terrified of smoke alarms and fire as it is (I have a feeling he may have been through a fire before I got him...he's SO scared of even a lighter across the room and sits on me and shakes if the smoke alarm beeps just once when the battery starts to die). I would probably try to save them no matter what, but it would be pure adrenaline and instinct, not clear thinking.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Been doggin hogs for about 35 years. What do you think?
I don't know?

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

He means no.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
No. But that has only changed since I have a child, I love my dogs, but I love him more and him not having me isnt an option.
This.

I would do some stupid, risky stuff to save my dogs... and put myself in harm's way. But my son needs me much more than I need my dogs. I know they'd die for me though well maybe not Fozzie. He's all about self preservation.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
So many days are genuinely hard to handle since the boys died. I second guess everything, I cry for seemingly no reason, I shake myself back to reality, I have trouble talking to people and then I talk like a heartless robot. The reality is if I had a chance, no matter how small it was or how stupid and risky it had been, I would have done everything to save them. This is hard enough, knowing I could have saved them and made a choice not to, I'm not sure I could handle that.
I'm so sorry Adrianne I can't even fathom going through that kind of pain, but they were surely the luckiest dogs in the world to have been yours.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would have to do SOMETHING to try to save them, I just would. I believe I would rather die trying then live with knowing I did nothing. Hopefully it is something I will never have to find out for sure.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM
orange iguanas.

If I knew it were going to kill me, heck no. I'm not volunteering myself like that.
Sorry dogs, I love you, but I don't think their lives are more important than mine.

Would I do something stupid or potentially dangerous for them? Maybe.... huge maybe. Really depends on the specific situation. Like if our house were on fire I can see myself taking the time to gather up the animals before getting out.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
He means no.
Well, I don't know what "doggin hogs" means. Does it mean hog hunting with dogs? Because if that's it, I don't understand how that has anything to do with weather or not you'd die for your dog.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb

Last edited by Shakou; 07-22-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
This.

I would do some stupid, risky stuff to save my dogs... and put myself in harm's way. But my son needs me much more than I need my dogs. I know they'd die for me though well maybe not Fozzie. He's all about self preservation.
Same here. But Obi is such a pain in the ass that I feel confident that he would be able to escape any life threatening situation and then tilt his head and look at me like he's wondering why the hell I'm freaking out.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.