Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Play that funky music.

Eventually? Goal is just to be a really successful trainer. I hate doing dogsitting and daycare, but there are zero opportunities for any other job here, especially with the inability to work without a service dog.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Eventually? Goal is just to be a really successful trainer. I hate doing dogsitting and daycare, but there are zero opportunities for any other job here, especially with the inability to work without a service dog.
There are no local training clubs or anything that you could start off teaching classes at... help get your name out?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM
such sights to show you

Holy christ there are people who bikejor and/or scooter with the line attached to their skijor belt instead of the bike/scooter.

The mere thought is enough to give me nightmares.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM
treehugging clicker freak

My hair is turning blonde
I don't know if I am happy about this or not, yet. I am getting a lot of compliments, but I'm a red hair and freckles kinda girl
Sun/chlorine... What are you doing to me!?!?!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Play that funky music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
There are no local training clubs or anything that you could start off teaching classes at... help get your name out?
Nope. Plus, I'm not going to be here much longer (hopefully), so I can handle doing this until I leave. I'm thinking once we're out, I can either try to find a "regular" job, and/or kick up a dog training/walking business.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Glutton for Crazy

If you come this way I strongly encourage you to apply to guide dogs for the blind. It may be an excellent fit. Starting pay was very high, great benefits, and everyone had their dogs or career change dogs trotting along with them all over.

I did a few working interviews and it was hard to walk away even when I got a better deal at my place of employment.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Jelly baby?

WHY IS THE DOCTOR WHO 50TH ANNIVERSARY TRAILER NOT ONLINE YET. COMIC-CON GOERS, YOU FAIL FOR NOT LEAKING THIS.

lowercase :P

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I know this isn't what I want to do with my life, but I'm very stuck on what I'm supposed to do between now and my longterm goal.
Me too EXACTLY! I do in-home boarding, and I'm really not enjoying it at all anymore. I want to just do training, but I live WAY out in the middle of nowhere and I just can't see getting enough training clients out here (with the boarding I offer pick up and drop off services and try to mostly do long stays, so the 4 hr round trip I usually make is ok, but for training I just don't see it working...). Definitely don't want to move, either.

On top of that, I really need to continue my training education. I took a 3 month course a few years back but mostly I don't agree with the methods taught, so that was a whole lot of money down the drain Now I'm all in debt, so finding less pricey means of education for the moment, learning, always learning. They were running KPA this year from a nearby town and I wanted to take it SO BADLY but I just didn't have the money. I'm hoping it will run again here sometime when I might be able to scrape together the funds.

Ideally I would love to do some sort of training that didn't involve teaching the people, just me and the dogs out here in the boonies, but I'm stumped as to what I could do. Just not sure where I can go from here. But I really don't think I can handle the boarding thing much longer!! Aaaaghh...
Old 07-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Play that funky music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Me too EXACTLY! I do in-home boarding, and I'm really not enjoying it at all anymore. I want to just do training, but I live WAY out in the middle of nowhere and I just can't see getting enough training clients out here (with the boarding I offer pick up and drop off services and try to mostly do long stays, so the 4 hr round trip I usually make is ok, but for training I just don't see it working...). Definitely don't want to move, either.
We're in the same spot! I do in-home stuff, too. If I did it for a facility, I wouldn't mind a bit. I just need to have that separation between home and work, y'know?

Adrianne, I'm not opposed to that idea at all. We're hoping for within the next year... staying with his family at first, then securing a job and moving down to OR.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
We're in the same spot! I do in-home stuff, too. If I did it for a facility, I wouldn't mind a bit. I just need to have that separation between home and work, y'know?
Totally. In theory, it's a really cool job. But the reality of always having other peoples' dogs around gets completely exhausting after a while.