Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Top Dog

Gaby stayed in a sit today when I asked for it. I've put barely any effort into it... I'm going to fall into the lazy trainer rut again if she keeps this up!

Ah well, gooood girl Gaby!
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

So proud of both Artimis and Talon today. As part of our new plan for socialization as Talon is going through a fear period (we hope) and well....Art's never been good with people and we've slacked way way too much socializing. We are going to take Talon to my school every morning to socialize and just hang out, and we are taking Art in the evenings to work on him ignoring/greeting people.

My dogs completely amazed me today, they did so fantastic! I wasn't with Talon, my BF took him while I was in class, but he said Talon did really good. He was a bit unsure of a few people, but when he realized he'd get treats/pets he was all for it! The worst he did was back away a bit. He went up to them willingly when they got a bit lower, less intimidating! YAY! ^_^

Artimis just was sooo good. He walked by a bunch of different people, bikes, big guys, all without much more than a glance. He didn't bark/huff at a single person! I'm amazed with him today honestly. We haven't socialized him other than the dog park in longer than I feel like mentioning lol

So yeah, yay my dogs! ^_^
Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 AM
On second thought...

Cameron hates my brothers new girlfriend- she is reactive with guests at home (perfect angel in public, demon in the house). Anyways, we do sessions with Cam on leash and gf treating when I click. My brother hates Cam for being such a beast, but last training session Cam would sit and wait for treats without barking. She could lie down, the energy was totally different from the non-stop barking pulling growler dog we started with. And she just calmly went to her crate when we were done

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Puppy Dog

It was a good training night tonight, dogs seemed to be a bit on edge but settled nice while I was teaching. Then I was able to work the 3 young ones.

Tonight Java (11 month old malinois female) worked in an obedience group class offlead for the entire 1 hr class. It was an advanced group so it was a good one to test her, but she made no mistakes, no visiting or nervous snooping. She was pretty relaxed and handled herself well. So that was a success for us, little tear in my eye - my weirdo nervy reactive puppy is all grown up. She had pretty good heeling, nice and attentive, didn't drop her head at all, but we need to fix up our turns. I think we need to work on clarifying what she targets because the issue is a hesitation I think from some confusion. She went down on the long sit.. but it ended up being a realllly long sit (6-7 minutes at least), probably longer than she was mentally ready for as I don't work her in group class every week. But good experience for us overall :-)

With Wiley (2.5 year old malinois male) I did some work on his french ring hurdle. He is really (finally) working hard to pick up his feet to clear this. In French Ring 1 (first level with jumps), the bar is set at 1.1 meters (~43 ") for full points, and they have to clear it twice. I also had a friend around to rehearse food refusal (dog must refuse food thrown at him in an out-of-site down stay - in the rules it actually says if the food lands in his mouth, they must spit it out to get their points). He did good, didn't budge or sniff. Then they have to heel through the thrown food upon return. Needless to say he won his much-coveted ball on that exercise.

Slice (5 month old toller female) worked in an earlier group obedience class, since it is my friend's class, I use the setting to do as I please with the puppies I raise, just focus and engagement. She was challenged tonight but had many many many good decision moments. This girl is a bundle of friendly energy and wants to visit every dog and person who notices her. I really really appreciate her effort to contain herself. She did some group stays with a dropped leash, and then recalls, and I tried a formal one and she nailed her front and finish. Super pup! When the class was switching over, we stayed in the room and worked on 2o2o on a box and sends around a cone to the box. One of the harder things for her is committing to the "obstacle" (wrapping around traffic cone here) which involves turning away from something she really wants to see after running full blast towards it. It was a challenging thing to ask but she did have good success.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Hudson decided to take off across the yard when the UPS guy drove by. Someone is never allowed to roam around the yard with just a drag lead. Ever. Ever. Ever. Again. Ever.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Hudson decided to take off across the yard when the UPS guy drove by. Someone is never allowed to roam around the yard with just a drag lead. Ever. Ever. Ever. Again. Ever.
There was a painting last weekend at a show I went to that looked JUST like Hudson. I did a double take.

And as for Fred. He was soooo good in the garden before. And he's good on our walks. And was pretty good at the agricultural show on sat, lots of people and dogs. And tonight in a village hall with about 4 other dogs... Was a total sh1t

Well... Not total, but the SMELLS oh the smells. I didn't exist.

And we have his bronze cgc test next week
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
There was a painting last weekend at a show I went to that looked JUST like Hudson. I did a double take.

And as for Fred. He was soooo good in the garden before. And he's good on our walks. And was pretty good at the agricultural show on sat, lots of people and dogs. And tonight in a village hall with about 4 other dogs... Was a total sh1t

Well... Not total, but the SMELLS oh the smells. I didn't exist.

And we have his bronze cgc test next week
That's awesome. Probably a BC though, not many ESs in your part of the world.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Tomorrow is a disc dog comp we are going to take Talon to. I'm expecting a meltdown in training with the way he's acting lately >_< I'm just hoping to make it through the comp without my dog running out of the ring. *fingers crossed*
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Little dog, big voice

Click

This is Cali's progress on her beg trick, she just needs to get the right muscles now, because she knows what the command means now. Although if she gets excited and starts anticipating, she'll stand up on her hind legs instead of sitting on her haunches.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm All Ears

We did a bunch of blind hides this weekend with Mia. She did really fabulous and I can read her alert so well. Blind hides are much more difficult to do than when you've set them yourself. She did fail at one whih my sister set right at the back of the trash can. But the other 9 or so she got right away.