Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This week Sloan flew in a plane, met new family, stayed in a new home, swam, hiked, picnicked, boated, played fetch with strangers, called off wildlife, was left in a new house alone, was left in a new truck alone, was taken around a bonfire with strangers and strange dogs, and so on and so forth going non-stop until we crash. While sporting is a top priority in our life the ability to be a well rounded and stable pet with stamina to go all day is essential.

The ability to do these things, which ime not all dogs can because I have tried, is something to be bred for and sought after. A socially appropriate, confident, jack of all trades dog who can kick ass on any field and both physically and mentally go until asked elsewise is very important. Being part of a breeding program, in any form, that is perpetuating this type of dog is IMO just as important as rescue.

Hell yeah! Exactly what I want/look for/need in my dogs!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
What is this magical line that separates a 'serious' sport home from the 'dabblers'?
Lol I'm always curious.

Is it x titles? X level? x many dogs? Xyz breeds? Not being willing to keep dogs that don't pan out?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
I'll always have a rescue with me, but I won't go through a shelter or a rescue. They won't adopt out to me anyways due to me having intact animals.

My next dog in the future will most likely come from a breeder or a private rehome or do as Takoda did just right chance and right dog. Most likely the next dog I'm getting (Another Beagle or Cur) will come from hunting breeders that are local.
I can see this with most established rescues but in my experience, at least the shelters around here, they don't really care if you have intact animals in your home (even if you're breeding them). Yeah, the applications ask about it but that doesn't stop them from giving you a dog. Maybe it's just my rural shelters who don't care all that much but I think (not necessarily point this at you) people who want a "rescue" animal should most definitely try. I know one shelter/animal control adopts out their animals intact but you have to pay a deposit. Once you provide proof that your adopted animal was altered, you get your money back.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

The SPCA here put out a call for lactating dogs to nurse some momless pups, I told them I had one (Ruffian bagged up with every.single.heat) and they refused me because Gage wasnt neutered yet.

They also refused to let me foster because ruffian wasnt spayed, it didnt matter that at 13 she hadnt had puppies in 10 years so I obviously knew how to prevent it, and that I was looking to foster an altered male dog.

No way no how would they have ever adopted a dog to me.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Hell yeah! Exactly what I want/look for/need in my dogs!
Me too!!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
The SPCA here put out a call for lactating dogs to nurse some momless pups, I told them I had one (Ruffian bagged up with every.single.heat) and they refused me because Gage wasnt neutered yet.

They also refused to let me foster because ruffian wasnt spayed, it didnt matter that at 13 she hadnt had puppies in 10 years so I obviously knew how to prevent it, and that I was looking to foster an altered male dog.

No way no how would they have ever adopted a dog to me.
Yeah I was denied by a rescue because I "didn't have enough" vet records ... I asked them what this meant & they said that my vet hasn't seen my dogs enough ... Huh? I mean my vet saw my dogs for routine Checkups, I buy my dogs HW meds online so I don't need to go to the vet for that. So I'm a bad person because my dogs are healthy & never have to go to the vet for anything other then routine Checkups?

I had a friend who was turned down because she didn't use monthly flea preventive :/

I think some rescues get a little hoddy toddy when it comes to screening perspective homes & a lot of good people get turned away & that's sometimes what makes people turn to let stores or BYB's.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I have a problem with rescue requirements too. My dogs have all been from the humane society but only because I worked there. Had I not, they wouldn't have adopted to me.

My biggest peeve is denying people because their yard isn't fenced. What a trivial and asinine thing to deny someone a dog over.

I've had to stop fostering because I'm so annoyed.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

I think it's a HUGE reason that most people are turned away from rescues. It has become so hard to get an animal from some if these rescues, some going so far as to ask for financial statements I mean really!?! And add to that the adoption fees are often as high or higher as buying a pup from kijiji why do it? You have the same odds of hereditary problems, and you have to answer 1000 questions, I can totally see why people go to kijiji. It's almost a status symbol to say one was able to adopt from xyz rescue and pass their bs.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Lol I'm always curious.

Is it x titles? X level? x many dogs? Xyz breeds? Not being willing to keep dogs that don't pan out?
I don't think it's how many titles, levels, or not keeping dogs that don't pan out.

I think it has more to do with your mind set, sometimes. In my experience, when I go to a competition (which has sadly been sparse this summer! but he's slowly but surely coming back) my mindset is to do MY best so I can get the best, and furthest out of my dog. Yes, we have a fun time, but I also desire for my dog to do well.

We've all been to competitions before and seen those that are 'just there to have fun' and I was one of those when I started, but I now have goals I'd like to accomplish.

I condition my dog with supplements, I train dry land regularly, I do weekly dock practice (now that one is close by!), etc.

I also don't just want to train. Or take this class and that class. I want to compete. And again, I see this as more of a mindset, then having this title and that.

In my mind, I don't consider myself simply a 'dabbler' in dock diving. This is our sport.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=ruffiangirl;2291671 And add to that the adoption fees are often as high or higher as buying a pup from kijiji why do it? You have the same odds of hereditary problems, and you have to answer 1000 questions, I can totally see why people go to kijiji. .[/QUOTE]

I still cant.....giving money to a rescue who helps dogs versus a crappy breeder who is adding to the problem...apples and oranges.