Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Novice Husky Tamer

Default Amazing!

I'm sitting in my room, and suddenly I hear my Husky howl outside and it sounds like she's outside of the gate, then I remember I forgot to leash her to her doghouse after I fed her, so I dash out the front door with my socks on and no shirt and when I look over my gate, I see her aaallll the way down near the end of the block, walking with this old guy I see alot and his super smart border collie. While I start running full speed down the block, I notice that my Siberian Husky is walking in perfect heel position with the guy on the opposite side of his dog. I could see the confused look on the guys face. After I got to him, there was an awkward moment where he stared at me and I noticed I was half naked in the middle of winter in Philadelphia then I quickly grabbed my dog. I apologized and stuff and then while holding on to my huskies collar I start walking back up the block. Then my husky starts acting wierd and refusing to move. Then when I let go of her collar, she gets next to me in a perfect heel position, so I decide to start walking without holding her and she walked PERFECTLY next to me all the way to the house. I felt like she was trying to tell me that she can walk byherself, lol. I was just amazed. Here I was thinking if she gets a chance she'll run right into the street or something. And the thing is, she's only 6 months. Is it possible that maybe I could train her off-leash walking or is it litteraly IMPOSSIBLE for a husky? I have two neighbors, one with a year old golden retriever and one with a year and a half german shepherd and they both walk their dogs off-leash. I feel that my husky could learn off-leash too but all the warnings scare me.

I made a post about this earlier but I just HAD to tell someone this story.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Beagle Bailey

That sounds wonderfully rewarding. Just out of curiousity what methods/type of collar have you been using to this point. I have a beagle, and I have tried several collar types, and can't seem to find the right one to get his attention when going on walks. They just aren't fun at all, b/c he pulls so much. I was hoping to jog with him once he is old enough, but we can't seem to get past a few houses on the street for his pulling.

[
Old 01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Love my pets

She sounds like she's a fast learner. I'm glad she was safe and back home.