Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
The Monster.

I've been lazy/distracted/preoccupied and haven't worked on Cohen's jumping yet. Unsurprisingly, it continues to be a problem. We have another Aussie in our class, and while he's a relatively green dog with motivation issues, it's fascinating to compare his jumping style to Cohen's. In his, he actually tries to not hit the bar. Crazy! On top of her other issues, Cohen launches herself at jumps from a couple yards away and hopes for the best. I tend to sit her way back from the start line to give her room to collect properly for the jump, but nah, she'd much rather fling herself at it from where I left her.

I think we have some work to do! It's really our jumping issues that continue to hold us back. (Wrap, what's a wrap? I'd much rather jump this in FULL EXTENSION!!!)

Cohen is still a super fun agility partner and I'm very pleased at how she's doing. Just need to take the time to polish her up a bit. We're going to a trial on Sunday morning. We're signed up for Snooker. Definitely not going to have a problem with that, with all our bar knocking and wrapping problems, no siree! /sarcasm

I think we'll have a blast.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Sitting her far back might be part of the problem - with Auggie I set him close enough to the jump where he could take just one stride, then jump. Basically the beginning of every course was a set point exercise. In fact I just realized I do it with Payton and Georgie too, not intentionally, I'm just used to setting Auggie up that close so I still do it...

I forgot I never posted my jump building instructions. I did some googling and found a post AllieMackie did on her blog that shows the same way I build mine, haha:
http://alliepets.wordpress.com/tag/pvc-agility/

The sizes I use are a little bit different though. I cut two 4' (48") pieces, one for the base and one as the bar. My uprights I cut at 26" since my guys only jump 16" at the max, but for bigger dogs you can certainly go taller. And my feet are only about 5" or 6" instead of 10", but it's usually because I'm cutting scrap for the feet and just making do with whatever I have left, LOL.

For my jump cups, before I bought jump cup strips, I clamp a T upside down (with the T part going towards the ground) in my vice and use a saw to cut out about 1/3rd of the back. This way I can snap it onto my uprights. Then I cut a little over half of the T part off so the bar can sit in it nicely and still pop out easily.
But for jump work it's a lot easier if you have jump cup strips, because you change heights between grids. I dealt with sliding my snap-on cups up and down for Auggie for a long time, but when it came time to get Payton, I decided it was time to get the strips because the baby would be using completely different heights than Auggie. So I made the investment from Clean Run to get the strips. (In fact, I remember the morning I was going to get Payton, I was sitting outside in the yard attaching all the strips to my jump uprights...) You can certainly do it without on a budget though! A 3/4" T is only 33 cents here so even if you made three or four sets for a jump and left them on so you could easily switch between jump heights, you're still a ways away from the cost of the strips. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Show Dog

Managed to grab some clips today of our little session. Worked the dogs on serps and planned to do some threadles, pinwheels, and short sequences, but never ended up switching. This was pretty much Karma's first session since her spay and she rocked it! Abby was awesome as well and Twister was well Twister...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TNzhjLr2Q
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm All Ears

So you're keeping Karma right? She's awesome!

Twister made me LOL.

Anyone have any last minute advice/do/don't do? I already think I'm going to write on my hand TAKE OFF THEIR COLLARS lol.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Anyone have any last minute advice/do/don't do? I already think I'm going to write on my hand TAKE OFF THEIR COLLARS lol.
That is the main reason I use slip leads at trials! I would totally be the person who forgot. Along the same lines, empty pockets/check for treat bags. I saw someone at their first trial who did such a great job preparing, was working so hard to get their dog focused and listening...and ran their whole run with their treat pouch flapping on their shorts. Whoops.

But seriously - don't panic. That really covers it. Do everything you can to make sure your girls come out of the weekend feeling like they were rock stars, regardless of what happens in the ring. There will be a million more trials. This is the one and only time you get to go to the start line for the first time with them. I'm going to be keeping up with a dozen people at our regionals this weekend, but I think I'm more excited to hear about your girls! Be sure to keep us up to date.

Quote:
This was pretty much Karma's first session since her spay
1) I love Karma! and 2) I love your front crosses!

We are a whopping 3 days into our Agility University course, and I LOVE it! I was so stressed that it wouldn't click and I just wouldn't like doing online stuff, because Recallers just wasn't for me. What a cool way to get to work with the trainer/s I love, but have so little access to otherwise. I think the huge amount of personalization/one on one stuff is what makes it different for me. I've now turned into that freak who is driving all over town videotaping stuff with my dog. I'm waiting to get arrested or something. We've got two trials I'd already signed up for (next weekend and the one after), but otherwise I'm going to hold off on trialling right now, and really focus on getting the speed and focus I want from Gusto. I'm more excited and inspired than I've been in a long time!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Man, what a difference a haircut makes! A week ago, Lola was struggling a lot in the 90 degree weather, and I completely intended to take a break after this round of classes was over. She was casually speed-walking the courses, panting, and just not really into it.

Then she got a haircut over the weekend, and this week's class was like a new dog. The first course we were doing great and she had some flashes of crazy speed for her, but then she decided she was SO CURIOUS about what inside the numbered cones so that kinda ruined that.

Second course she was running almost at full speed, all my crosses were in time and flowy, and we were just totally clicking. I don't think I've ever seen her maintain that level of speed and motivation though a whole course before.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Puppy Dog

My 5.5 month old toller working on bits of agility foundations the other night..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A55U6ob0nMo
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Vizsla mom

Absolutely love that little Toller baby
Wish I could embed the videos from my trainer on here ..he only posts them on FB
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Does this help? It looks like you can print the info off their website and take that with you if you don't get your cards in time:
http://www.usdaa.com/article.cfm?newsID=803
Yeah that's what they told me. I keep getting paranoid I won't be able to run lol. I also just hope Mia doesn't freak and get nervous. We will see. I dreamt last night that we were already tere and trialling and they told me Summer was too skinny. I also hope Mia does ok with getting measured. We practice at home but she freaked when one of my trainer tried to measure her.

I need slip leads. I also realized I don't have a lawn chair.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

Diesels first trial is TODAY! I'm freaking out to be honest. I hope he listens, and runs, and jump when I ask him too...omg.