Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is online now
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,016
Default

I have a different perspective on responsible breeders and health because my responsible breeder dog developed FCP elbow dysplasia. It's a chronic condition that we will deal with the rest of his life. Now I know 1827472819 people will chime in here and say " MY breeder dog is healthy and every way!" and that's fantastic, but mine isn't, so it changes the way I look at things a bit.

Whether we get a dog from a breeder or a rescue or the shelter or Craig's list will depend on where we are in life when the time comes to get another dog. DH really doesn't care for puppies, and BADLY wants a rescued greyhound. The black lab we transported from the shelter was absolutely fantastic, and I would have taken him in a heartbeat if I could have.

I volunteer occasionally with a rescue and am good friends with the director (who also happens to be Jack's second favorite person in the world), and would absolutely consider having her help us find a dog when the time comes.

While both health and temperament are important, temperament is THE most important to me. You can treat health issues, but you can't really change a dog's basic temperament. I wouldn't knowingly take a dog with health issues, but if it happens it happens.

Now it could have a lot to do with breed choice too, since there are a LOT of young labs that have outgrown the adorable puppy stage that need homes when their owners realize that they don't train themselves and won't magically calm down at a year old.

Then again, we might go with a breeder-who knows. I guess I just want an athletic, outgoing, dog friendly, people friendly, bird and cat tolerant, kid friendly, not nervy dog, who likes to get up and do things but has an off switch (loves to fetch and swim is a plus). If I can find that in rescue, all the better as far as I'm concerned. Dog sports aren't all that important to me--they are icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. If the dog enjoys them and can do them it's great, but if they don't or can't my heart won't be broken.

It is my personal opinion that dog owners as a community should all participate in rescue, even in a small way (if not adopting or fostering, donating-even small amounts). No, these dogs are not YOUR responsibility, but sometimes when you are part of the community you do things to help said community--sort of a "You are responsible for what you have tamed" kind if thing.

Sorry if this was a bit rambling-just worked 10 hours and am TIRED!
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

It is my personal opinion that dog owners as a community should all participate in rescue, even in a small way (if not adopting or fostering, donating-even small amounts). No, these dogs are not YOUR responsibility, but sometimes when you are part of the community you do things to help said community--sort of a "You are responsible for what you have tamed" kind if thing.
I agree with this.

One of my favorite breeders tag lines is "If you breed, you must rescue"

That includes simple things like networking, offering transport, short term foster, donations, supplies, whatever. I do think that if one breeds they should be actively involved in some way in at least their chosen breeds rescues.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,714
Default

I have adopted from rescues, fostered for rescues and bought dogs from breeders. To be honest, I'm going to go where I find the dog that best fits my needs at the time.

I adopted Zuma because she was exactly what I was looking for.

I bought Zinga and Zip Tie because I knew that odds are that they would turn out to be exactly what I was looking for.

The only dog that wasn't a perfect fit was a dog bought from a breeder. However, I really didn't do my homework on the dog's lines or the breeder. So it might have been prevented if I had just spent more time studying.

So really, I don't care where I get my dogs from. I care that they are a good fit and are what I need. And no, I don't feel guilty about that.
__________________


Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
BostonBanker's Avatar
BostonBanker BostonBanker is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,250
Default

Quote:
In fact, I always find it quite sad that so few on this forum are rescuers/want rescue dogs. I respect each one's opinion, but seeing as the main forums I am a part of are mainly British, and mainly very rescue orientated, I do find it hard and feel a bit sad about threads like this.
I know you caught some (mild for sure) heat for this, so I just want to say - I get it. Obviously both my dogs are rescues, and they are amazing People getting rescue dogs and going out and DOING stuff with them is very much my thing. I love it and it makes me beam when I see others doing it. Meg was on death row, and she has a championship title! Gusto was rescued twice before he was six weeks old and pulled out of a mattress in an abandoned trailer, and he's got people cooing over him at agility trials. And when I hear people throwing out all the negatives about rescue dogs (Ingrained behaviors! Health problems! Baggage! No socialization!) I hear them as negatives about my dogs, and I want to stand on Pride Rock and hold them out like baby Simba and scream "Do you see this amazing creature?! Someone threw this away!"

That's only a mild exaggeration I really don't have a problem with breeders. Someday maybe I'll use one. Our first dog was from a good breeder, and I don't regret him a bit or feel guilty that we got him. I don't knock those who go to breeders, because what matters most is that they and their dog are happy, and if that is the answer for them, that is the right thing to do. But I do wish more people with the skills and knowledge to really make something of their dogs (in a public sense) would be willing to work with rescues. The amazing ones really are there. A lot of them don't even need more work than breeder dogs. And getting them out and showing the world and the general public that they can do anything is something I care about.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is online now
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,497
Default

I do think I will have a rescue in a few dogs down the road. Specific type of dog and when I am in a position to look long and hard for that dog and have an opening. Probably not likely to happen until after the papillons are gone though to be honest. If the papillons are ever gone... Not sure that will ever happen.

I love Gusto and I love Zuma. And Webster and Kim. I know there's dogs out there that would be amazing for me to own.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,100
Default

(I haven't read the entire thread.)

Abrams was purchased from a breeder. I chose to go the breeder route for a multitude of reasons. I wanted a puppy (as I wanted to start from a clean slat and raise him how I wanted to raise him), but I wanted to "know" the characteristics that puppy was going to have as an adult dog. Not only did I want a puppy, I wanted a specific type of puppy. I wanted a dog that had as much of a chance to behave/act/look like Blackie did as I could possibly get. Not only did I want a puppy, a specific type of puppy, and specific type of dog, I wanted to make sure that when I got all of those things, I had the best chance of getting a healthy dog free from genetic defects as I possibly could under the circumstances.

All of my prior dogs were rescues. Blackie was a stray 6 month old Lab that my family adopted. He was perfect, in both health and behavior. Rose was a rescue (in a way) and we knew both of her parents - she was a good dog and healthy up until 13 years of age, but not my cup of tea. Chloe was adopted from an "oops" litter as a puppy, and considering her situation I consider her a rescue. She has severe temperament issues and minor health issues. Cynder was an adult rescue, and she is also an awesome dog.

I've fostered some freaking awesome dogs that I wished I had been able to keep at the time. And had I come across one of those freaking awesome dogs that I knew would be an awesome match for me before I purchased Abrams? I may have gone with that dog.

I do not feel guilty - at all - for purchasing Abrams vs. adopting.

I do know after my experience with Chloe, I'll likely stick to adopting older puppies/adult dogs versus baby puppies from now on. I'd like to make sure I'm getting a well tempered dog right off the bat versus one that I don't know how genetic temperament is going to screw over.
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM
RottenFlower's Avatar
RottenFlower RottenFlower is offline
rotties are my kryptonite
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: More north of south, but more south of north.
Posts: 152
Default

I keep meaning to go to a reputable breeder, but all of these fantastic rescue dogs keep finding their way to me. Literally.
__________________
JBG's It's Clobberin' Time, CGC|TDInc|RN
"Clyde"
4/2006-12/26/2012
my delicate little flower

Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

All of my dogs have been rescues. Sawyer was my first purebred and has been such a stellar example of his breed that I want to stack the odds in my favor and go through a reputable breeder for my next dog. No shame and like someone else said, I'm really not on board with ped s/n so would like the ability to keep the dog intact for as long as I see fit.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Torch's Avatar
Torch Torch is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I know you caught some (mild for sure) heat for this, so I just want to say - I get it. Obviously both my dogs are rescues, and they are amazing People getting rescue dogs and going out and DOING stuff with them is very much my thing. I love it and it makes me beam when I see others doing it. Meg was on death row, and she has a championship title! Gusto was rescued twice before he was six weeks old and pulled out of a mattress in an abandoned trailer, and he's got people cooing over him at agility trials. And when I hear people throwing out all the negatives about rescue dogs (Ingrained behaviors! Health problems! Baggage! No socialization!) I hear them as negatives about my dogs, and I want to stand on Pride Rock and hold them out like baby Simba and scream "Do you see this amazing creature?! Someone threw this away!"

That's only a mild exaggeration I really don't have a problem with breeders. Someday maybe I'll use one. Our first dog was from a good breeder, and I don't regret him a bit or feel guilty that we got him. I don't knock those who go to breeders, because what matters most is that they and their dog are happy, and if that is the answer for them, that is the right thing to do. But I do wish more people with the skills and knowledge to really make something of their dogs (in a public sense) would be willing to work with rescues. The amazing ones really are there. A lot of them don't even need more work than breeder dogs. And getting them out and showing the world and the general public that they can do anything is something I care about.
Best visual ever. And exactly how I feel about Henry. Because at the end of the day, I've known plenty of well bred dogs that still have issues regardless of 'how they're raised.'
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Because at the end of the day, I've known plenty of well bred dogs that still have issues regardless of 'how they're raised.'
And this is very true.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site