Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Club Terrible - President

Default Those who bought from responsible breeders...

What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing? Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?

Rick and I were talking about it earlier; those were a couple of the questions that came up.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

Ivy is from a responsible breeder.

Before her my animals were all rescues. I am a huge proponent of rescue but after three dogs that were from shelters and just ended up really being a LOT of work, I felt I needed a bit of a break...if that makes sense? I had two very young children and was getting a giant breed dog..I wanted to set myself up as best as I felt was possible so I went with a breeder who focuses on obedience, agility, and therapy work along with conformation.

Then I went back to rescue with Qcumber but I know his rescue very well and felt very confident that if there are EVER any issues and we could not keep him, he would have a very safe place to go. All of the dogs I have met from that rescue are just awesome, there is a little bit of magic there or something. Also, I met his mother and just fell in love.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
Dunno really. I like papillons and was in an apartment with a < 20 lb weight limit. Summer was available as an adult and I liked her since she was a pup. So I snatched her up.

With Mia I wanted a dog similar in size to Summer and also young so I was looking at papillons in rescue and there just aren't any. I found one male that I talked to the rescuers but he had a bite history and I couldn't get much info on why he'd bitten. So I passed. Really finding a young papillon in a rescue that would adopt to me (student, in apartment) was impossible.

Nextdog I want from a breed and lines that will be a decent sports shot. I also want a bigger dog (30ish lbs ideally) so I want to raise it from a pup so the girls can get used to it from the time it was small. So I'm going with a breeder. In all honesty, I LIKE going to a breeder really. It just suits me well. I like having a lot of information about the breed, lines, and parents. Especially with toy dogs in the mix, I want a good shot at making things work and work well.

Quote:
Have you rescued before?
No. I've fostered and volunteered but none of my personal dogs have been from a shelter/rescue yet.

Quote:
Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
None.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I wanted a reliable outcome for both house compatibility and lifestyle choices. I had rescued for years and went through several sport/work prospects towards the end with foster to adopt scenarios but one thing after another didn't work out and I'd had enough. I felt absolutely no guilt and I will not when I buy again and potentially breed. The world needs well bred dogs, they exist for a reason. I will always support rescues and will rescue again myself but for my desires a purpose bred dog better fits my household and choice of lifestyle.

Also, as Laurelin mentioned, I genuinely enjoy knowing lines, studying pedigrees, and the fact that after losing my best friend I have had the most amazing support from his breeder and the owner of his sister to the point of doing everything in their power to assist me in finding the closest thing to another Backup. It's been well worth my choices.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

The breed of dog *boerboel* is very rare here so finding one in a rescue was going to be impossible. They are a guardian breed so I wanted a pup that was going to have a sound temperament. As well as be healthy as possible. There is always still a chance a pup developing hip issues or whatever else, but getting a pup from health tested parents and past ancestors it helps set the puppy up for success health wise. I also liked the idea of breeder support throughout the life of the puppy

Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?

Mitsu was a private rescue. I will rescue again, but probably not for a while and it has to be the right dog. I do not feel guilty.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Both of my current dogs were bought. Neither from responsible breeders though.

I have fostered dogs, and I do support rescue. Depending on how many dogs I actually want to own at one time, I will likely have a rescue of my own at some point. However, I do want a purebred sport prospect in the (hopefully) not so distant future. 1) Because I want predictability in size, temperament, and structure; and 2) Because I adore this particular "line" of dogs and want to support the breeder.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Twin 2

All my dogs growing up and Kaylee were rescued in some form or another. It was nice while I didn't have any real idea of what kinds of dogs I liked or wanted.

Kaylee though really made me want to not go a rescue route again because of her nerve issues, health issues and basically her not being compatible with what I want.

After that was about when I decided I wanted a purebred dog and then tried to figure out breeds. Once I settled on a Koolie it was pretty much settled that he would be from a breeder.

And no, I didn't ever really feel any guilt about it.

I feel more guilt with Kaylee because she isn't what I wanted before I knew what I wanted and I feel like I got frustrated with her more than she deserves because of who she is.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Club Terrible - President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

I feel more guilt with Kaylee because she isn't what I wanted before I knew what I wanted and I feel like I got frustrated with her more than she deserves because of who she is.
EXACTLY how I feel about Shadow.

Thanks guys, these responses are helpful!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Add me to the likes knowing what your getting yourself into with the dog. Good breeders know their lines and while they can't always say your dog will end up exactly like xy&z they can get pretty darn close and they also spend time getting to know you and matching personalities with you and pup.

I feel no guilt going to a breeder. I will only go to ones that breed for healthy, stable dogs... The kind we need. Why would I feel guilty about going to someone who is producing quality dogs?

That said, I'm not opposed to rescues at all. In fact, that's mostly what I've ended up with. But, the only time you really know what you're in for is when you get an adult and that's not always what people are looking for for a variety of reasons. It's much harder to correctly place a bunch of mixed breed pups that you have no idea about the parents, especially if the person has a certain goal/temperament/lifestyle in mind. I've ended up with puppies that turned into HORRIBLE matches for me when they got older.

I plan on always being a multi-dog household, that will include some rescue and some breeder.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
I wanted a particular type of dog with strong nature drive, stability, and athleticism. I also particularly adored the mother of the litter, as she was everything I wanted in my next dog. The stars aligned and Mira came home with me.

Quote:
Have you rescued before?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
No. I can't imagine ever feeling guilty about buying a dog from what I consider to be a responsible breeder.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13