Revolution for fleas, ticks and Heartworm

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
We do not have heartworm's in my area, nor have I had issues with fleas and even though we have ticks, I've never seen one. But the instructor is adamant that the puppy needs to be on Revolution in order for us to take classes with her.

Anyone ever use Revolution?

Saeleofu

I do NOT trust Revolution for heartworms. It's way too easy to apply a topical incorrectly or for something to happen to make it ineffective, and then the dog is left unprotected. I don't really like it for fleas, either. It seems to be one of the least effective products for fleas out of all the veterinary products.

Can you opt for different products? Honestly, if someone said I can only train with them if my dog's on Revolution, and wouldn't accept anything else, I simply would find a different trainer.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If an instructor is adamant the dog be on flea/tick/heartworm meds that's one thing.

For them to DEMAND that I use a particular product and want proof??? That is quite another, and one I would be walking away from, and letting them know in no uncertain terms exactly why, and what I thought of that attitude.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
If an instructor is adamant the dog be on flea/tick/heartworm meds that's one thing.

For them to DEMAND that I use a particular product and want proof??? That is quite another, and one I would be walking away from, and letting them know in no uncertain terms exactly why, and what I thought of that attitude.
That was my thought. I prefer using heart guard and something different for flea/tick prevention. No way I'd trust a topical for hw.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I am Kinnda on the fence. I personally think she is a tad paranoid as we don't even have heart worms here. My only issue is that I live in a rural area. She is the only trainer I would take my pup to.

I would prefer not to put my dog on anything actually, but I gotta do what I gotta do if I want to have a trainer.

JacksonsMom

How the heck is she going to know if your dog is even ON Revolution? There's really no way to 'prove' it.

And FWIW, I'd never touch it.

Heartguard Plus for heartworms or Sentinel.

As far as topicals, Frontline Plus would be my preference, but K9 Advantix is what we use (when necessary) for fleas/ticks. Don't really trust anything else.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.

Yeah that.

There's gotta be a way around it. How would anyone know if you were using Revolution or not? What does she expect as proof?

I'm not anti-Revolution I just... think it's silly for someone to "force" you to use it. Especially if it's not something you ever would have used otherwise.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I like Revolution for cats. Think it is a very good combo product and treats quite a few things that most people don't bother treating their cat for.

I also like it because it is safe for small animals...I've used it for my ferrets and rats before when I had a flea issue.

But for dogs? There are "better" products out there. In my area it takes care of fleas nicely, and I wouldn't worry about it not protecting against heartworms as long as it is applied properly.

But if you are worried about ticks? Find something else. I think it is only labeled to kill one kind of tick, and that is iffy. We've had cats come in that are on Revolution that are infested with ticks, and while the company reimburses their purchase...it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

If your instructor won't accept any other kind of prevention, then I'd honestly just do this:
Purchase a dose or two from the vet. Get proof. Don't give it to puppy. Sell to a friend. :D
Just know that selling it isn't exactly...legal. LOL But if you purchase it, have a receipt, and then show that to your instructor and say your pup is on it...he can't really make you give more proof than that besides you applying it in front of him, which seems a bit crazy.

tucksmom

We use revolution in the winter months here in Iowa. We do disc golf in the summer and spring and take the dogs with us-so we switch during the warm months so I can have a decent tick preventative. I like revolution personally, what I like most is that both my dogs are under ten pounds and the tube for them is tiny,so much less to apply, it's nothing at all like the topical I have to use the other part of the year.

I have never had an issue with it and neither of my dogs have ever had a reaction from it.

Members online

No members online now.