A friend for Crossbone
There's been some serious talk about adding a dog in 2014. Crossbone just LOVES the company of other dogs and I've always loved having multiples. DH is on board and wants one just as much or more than me! (which he has always been a 0 to 1 dog person). We've been checking out petfinder periodically or talked about grabbing a Koolie when we're in Australia in January.
What we're looking for:
- Between 14-19" tall
- Med/High Energy - needs to love to play and keep up with Crossbone. He loves to wrestle, chase and play tug with dogs. Fetching is a major plus.
- Adaptable- needs to be able to travel every other weekend to different houses with us that could have other dogs, kids, etc
- We're gone between 7 & 13 hours a day for 18 days each month (we're home or travel with the dogs the other 12) but walk/bike/jog 4 miles 3-5x per working week
- happy & friendly
Dogs we've talked about:
I've been toying around with rescue vs breeder. I've never had a dog from a reputable breeder and would love to have some idea about temperament & health, especially because I love dog sports. But I haven't found "my breed" and love the idea of having a slightly older rescue mutt.
- Another cattle dog mix or rescue.Would love to have a small female. Only concern really is no health testing/temperament guarantee.
- Koolie - Major concern, among others, is their size and intensity with our 750 sq ft house and 4ft jumpable fence.
- DH LOVES the look of Chinese Cresteds but I can't find ANY good breeders and they're not terribly sporty
- Rat terrier? Not sure if I want another terrier and I'd have to do a lot more research
- Mini Poodle - DH thinks they're scary looking but I think it'd be a good traveler and I could see it meshing well with Crossbone
Any suggestions or opinions?!?!
Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier