Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Water Junkie

Default How Much Food?

I guess I'm failing as a dog owner right now, because I'm second guessing (sort of) how much food Blaze is getting.

He gets 1 cup twice a day. Morning and evening. He's been this way since adulthood. Usually, I don't see any problems with this. But once in a while, if he's down with my parents, and he goes to the food container, they insist he's hungry and feed him ANOTHER WHOLE CUP.

Am I completely insane for despising this practice? If he paws his bowl after he's eaten or goes to the food container, I'd feed him maybe another half cup, at most. I mean, that's logical, right? He doesn't need a whole other cup?

To me, 1 cup twice a day seems like a good amount for a young, athletic, male dog on quality food. I don't want to feed him too much.

(rant part of this: they complain we go through food way too fast. then they insist he needs a ton more food. grrr. i wonder why)

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin is about 45 lbs and is on the same diet as Blaze. 1 cup, twice a day of high quality grain free food
I also have friends/family that insist on feeding him more

I mean I'm sure I COULD feed him more but he gets so many treats, plus his nightly bully stick and such
I think the amount of food he is getting is fine, but I mean there is no harm is trying a bit more! I'd just watch his weight and see how that goes.

Honestly I have gotten so lazy and have accidently realized, because of the laziness, that the exact amount of food doesn't really matter.

I had a perfect one cup scoop and then I got a bigger one and then I lost both and just used his bowl and then I let him eat straight out of the container one hungover day and his weight has remained the same
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Jelly baby?

Gavroche gets 1 cup twice a day and Logan gets aboutg a cup and a half twice a day. If Logan seems hungry, I'll give him a small amount more. If Gavroche still seems hungry...I say No, fatty, you don't need more food!" And ignore him, otherwise he'd weigh 200 pounds lol. My mom will complain I don't feed my dogs enough and in the next breath say Gavroche is getting chubby

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Water Junkie

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these problems. It just starts to make you second guess your self, y'know? Even when, in the same thought, you know it's fine.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Top Dog

My dogs would eat all day if you let them.

But my big dogs get fed 2 and 2.5 cups once a day.

Generally I'd say read the bag, start with that amount and adjust it from there but I think you're doing it right.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 AM
orange iguanas.

Meh, if my dogs "act hungry" I don't give them extra. =P

You're probably fine with what you're doing, I agree that an entire extra cup is a little excessive lol. Like you, IF I were to give my dogs a little extra, it would just be 1/4 cup or maybe 1/2 cup if I were really generous.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Silence, peasants.

If he's maintaining a good weight and has good energy, I'd see no reason to up it! Most dogs I know would eat forevah if you let them anyhow, they aren't exactly the best judges of how much food is enough for one day, opportunists that they are. This talk makes me look forward to having a dog that actually eats food... evil meal skipper over here. I try to tell him he's skinny enough, but poodles, what can you do?

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

I guess it depends on the dog, but I don't listen to my dogs if they insist that they're hungry haha. They'd forever be hungry and just use me until they more resembled a pod of fat whales lol.

I just base it off of body condition. If he looks good on 2 cups a day, I likely wouldn't give him more, and certainly not an extra cup more.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Vizsla mom

Penn is free fed ..worst owner ever? Most likely.

Although, she's a super good weight but she eats wayyy more than most dogs :/ I'd average 4 cups a day (sometimes less, sometimes more) on Go!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
My mom will complain I don't feed my dogs enough and in the next breath say Gavroche is getting chubby
That sounds like my mom....except she is usually talking about me, lol

I'm really no help here because I have a dog that doesn't eat. I could leave the food container open and....nothing

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/