Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Heartguard for heartworms, and occasionally Frontline if they need it. For those that use Bug Off, how well does it work?
I have used Bug Off. Last year I added it to my Frontline because it was supposed to be a really, really awful tick year. I didn't have any problems, but... I don't really have any problems when I use Frontline alone, either, so who knows which one was doing what.

I was mostly hedging my bets.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Heartgard and either Frontline Plus or Certifect (Frontline + low dose amitraz).

Has anybody used that longterm use (8 months I think?) flea/tick collar, Seresto? It's supposed to repel fleas and ticks as well as kill them. We have tons of ticks here, and while Frontline reliably *kills* them, I still end up pulling dead ticks off my dogs, which is gross.
I pull tick carcasses off mine too(puke!). I'm starting to just spray repellant on them before we go out, but I'm also on a super tight budget at the moment.

As far as the collar, I use amazon reviews for everything. The collar has a splattering of reviews but mostly positive. Also, some of the non-positive ones updated to say after giving it some time it worked great.
http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Seresto-...ews/B00B8CG602
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Heartguard for heartworms, and occasionally Frontline if they need it. For those that use Bug Off, how well does it work?
Experiences seem to vary! I've been using it since Frag was a baby, on all of the dogs. I've never found a flea or tick on any of them that I recall. They have never been on a topical flea/tick. We live in what I think is a pretty big tick area, always had them on us as kids and were pulling them off family dogs. And we're always hiking off leash in the woods. I don't find any on me though either.

Numerous members at our park have pulled more than 5 ticks off their dogs this year. :O

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 08-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

I just read through this thread because I'm flea med shopping right now. Fleas are awful and my oldest dog has so many issues and fleas don't need to be one of them. She's getting eaten alive and shedding like crazy. I've always used Frontline Plus. Not sure what I should get this go around. The Frontline isn't doing it's job here lately. Might go with Advantix II. I've had luck with it in the past.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

I use Heartgard+ for heartworms, and Comfortis for fleas. No topical are working down here anymore.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Original Twin

I use Revolution for everything. I have never even seen a tick on either of my dogs, and Nico does a lot of running around on the farm.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
I use Revolution for everything. I have never even seen a tick on either of my dogs, and Nico does a lot of running around on the farm.
Revolution isn't really a tick preventative so maybe you're just lucky. It's only labeled for use against the American Dog Tick.

I don't know how my dogs manage to stay tick free, but I won't complain about it lol. Makes it easy to not feel bad for not using any preventatives on them.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Big Mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNola View Post
I use Heartgard+ for heartworms, and Comfortis for fleas. No topical are working down here anymore.
Same here. I hate the topical's greasy feeling.