Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

Smkie I have to agree with you. several yrs ago a stray beagle started hanging out at our fence, after a few days he hadnt left we decided he was homeless and would take him in to find him a home. Only problem was he was unadoptable. He was so fearful of people and everything around him. Even to eat he'd grab a mouthful, toss it away from the dish to eat it and look around as he quickly ate it, and growl. The slightest noise or movement would send him hiding somewhere refusing to come out.
At first if anyone came over he'd run to hide. Wouldnt come out if anyone was near. But as time went on, he was becoming aggressive. He started digging his way out of the yard under the fence. We'd fill it. The only way to catch him was with the help of our dog. With each time he got out he became more and more aggressive acting, he started barking and growling at people. He'd go into their yards, Each time getting closer and closer to them. The last couple of weeks I had him I started tieing him when he was outside. I hate doing that but felt I didnt have any other options with him. He'd break free, dig his way out and we'd find him going after people again.

The final straw for me was when I caught him going after a young couple with a baby. I lost it. I told my husband that is it, we will not keep him another day. He WILL BITE SOMEONE.

We dont know what it was in his life that made him like that, if it was he was nuts or if he had been abused. But the older he got the worse he became and even I was starting to get nervous being around him. I knew that was a warning sign since I was the only person who could even get somewhat close to him. After 2 yrs of working with him and trying so hard to get thru to him I was finding myself not trusting him even around me. I to love dogs, any kind of animals but I cant have a dog that is mean.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Please, Buddy was awful but jim really tried.. he paid lots of money for Buddy at the vet..the knots were self induced..He would walk right up to that big labrador, stick his snoze into garg's mouth and bark his brains out. He would have walked around dazed without being shook a little. Jim tried for years!!! They don't even know why Buddy lived as long as he did..he wasn't my dog anyway, I wouldn't have kept him in the first place. If I sound bitter, I have seen many good dogs go the bad way..when they should have had every chance in the world..then you take Buddy who will not learn, because he can't..it wasn't his fault..it was the stupid owner that allowed her dogs to innerbreed then dumped them on us at the kennel with the pretense to be boarding... Buddy didn't suffer a day in his life, he never shut up long enough to be anything but busy..barking. That and he ate the air..barked at it, then he ate it.. He had treats, a crate of his own he could go to anytime.as home anydog would have found wonderful...I have a lot of things to grumble at Jim for ,but how he took care of Buddy isn't one of them. The whole point of my sharing my experiences was because I have been there, where you have an animal that isn't "right" in the head, for whatever reason..bad breeding, a horrible life so bad that their minds are shattered, or their brain isn't wired right..whatever reason and it is in your home, you don't want to be mean, or give up, but the dog has everyone in tears.the situation isn't getting any better .it isn't a healthy relationship for anyone. If you have a dog that has issues that can be worked with great, but that isn't the case, where do you draw the line, 6 months, 1 year, 5? I kept Casey because NO ONE would want this dog. Dropping him off at the pound seemed wrong too, the second I saw him attack that woman was a second to late to realize my dog was mental case.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Try not; DO or do not

We have a saying at my house... Butcher the bull the day BEFORE he breaks the fence. That said, a "mental" dog that is a danger to himself and others should be euthanized. I don't think your dog is dangerous at the moment. It is way too common with beagles to go generation after generation with no proper socialization. if the bitches back 5 generations were never handled properly they do not instill a respect for humans to their whelps. (yes, mamma dogs teach their pups things like this.) The inbreeding of hounds has always been an issue with all but the most responsible breeders. Inbreeding causes developmental issues, some physical, some mental. please note I mean inbreeding and not the line breeding of carefully selected and researched individuals, which is a well known and respected practice that often produces superlative results. Your dog is of mixed parentage, and there is no way for you to know what issues are manifest in the parents. I would advise you to seek out an appropriate home for your dog. There comes a time with SOME animals when you just have to throw in the towel, and while she may be wrong for you and your family, someone out there will think she is perfect, and if you love your dog you need to place her accordingly. It is hard to give up a dog. Let your mind and heart rest easy knowing you have tried harder than most would, Be honest with prospective owners about her issues, and hope for the best. It is common here in Michigan for our inbred beagle stock to have hydroencephaletic issues that causes erratic behavior that usually escalates over a period of 2-5 years from mania to downright instability and ferocity. A backyard breeder or an irresponsible pet owner who allows their dog to breed whenever, wherever with whoever does not have the training or experience to recognize defects that can (and more often than not, do) cause developmental and temperament issues and adress it immediately. If your heart is set on keeping your little girl, you need to know that she may never improve. Chances are she won't. Are you prepared to make the necessary adjustments in your life to protect yourself, family, public, and dog? Be honest with yourself. If the answer is no or I don't know then do everyone a favor and place her in a home that doesn't mind her insanity. I do not advocate taking a dog back to a kill policy pound. Hang some flyers on their bulletin board. If an appropriate home can not be found, and her behavioral issues do not improve or get worse then you may have to face the issue of euthanasia. Please make this a last resort, and have it done by a veterinarian, not in the gas barrel at the dog pound. Sometimes you just can not win with a dog, so a decision has to be made on what will give them the best possible chance at a happy life, and if that life does not include your home, so be it. I applaud you for seeking help when you knew you were over your head. Remember that it is not abandonment or giving up on your dog if you place them in a home where they can thrive and be happy. Hang in there!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

I've been working a lot with Tears N My Dogbowl13, and I think her pooch is doing much better! Hopefully we'll get an update on the forum soon.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

your awesome emma!