Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
We automatically bring everyone in back for procedures, yes. As the person drawing blood, to be quite honest I really hate doing it in the room with the owners. Puts the pressure on lol because a lot of owners make a big deal out of it if we don't get blood on the first attempt. And oftentimes they want to hover and try holding their dog and it just... makes it more complicated than it needs to be.
I agree with this, and have seen a lot of dogs do better without their owner, but we make exceptions. There is a JRT who will absolutely no matter what throw a HUGE temper-tantrum trying to bite everything in site if the owner is there, and is 100% without the owner, this dog is ALWAYS seen separate from the owner the dog has a lot of medical problems, and doesn't need the extra stress.

There are some dogs i don't even touch and the owners hold for everything, either because the dog is clearly more comfortable with the owner, or because the dog doesn't want anyone else touching it lol
Old 06-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

I don't work at a clinic, but since others are chiming in...

I always call and talk to the vet I'll be seeing and ask about this before going to a new vet (and I've been to a lot...) because I don't let my dogs leave the room after Frag was all but beat in my hometown when he had coccidia as an impressionable year old pup.

I haven't had a problem with any vet that I decided to use doing blood draws with me in the room and NOT restraining my dogs. Frag and Recon will both hold down stays with no one grabbing at them just fine. Sir holds a sit stay and offers his arm for draws. No problems... I just feed treats during it and the vets love that they are so well behaved... and I make sure they are to make sure everything stays positive and they don't need to be restrained. Because there's no way Frag COULD be restrained without being sedated if he didn't listen up.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

I'm a registered vet. tech. and have been doing this for... 15+ years.

Generally speaking, we bring our patients into our treatment room for venipuncture. Rarely, we'll do this in an exam room, but I have to agree with whomever said that it's a lot of pressure for the person doing the blood draw. I am excellent at my job and can hit just about any vein on any pet, but even I have bad days. Owners breathing down my neck, gasping and using grabby hands when I'm trying to do my job doesn't cut it for me.

Under no circumstance, ever, do owners restrain their own pets... nor will myself, my coworkers or our doctors draw blood on an unrestrained pet just because their owner says they'll hold a down/stay.
my delicate little flower

Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

Our standard is to take the dog back if we need to get it from the neck (large samples), and in the room if it's just a heartworm test/small sample.

If someone takes serious issue to taking the dog in back, we do let them either go with us or stay in the room and do it, we just warn them we're getting it from the neck - it looks bad, but most dogs do better with it.

That said, when I find a new vet, it is very important to me that I be allowed to stay with my dog for blood draws, and ideally restrain my own dog. I've been a vet assistant for 7 years, I know how to restrain my dog. Logan got his service dog eye exam the other day and I loved that the vet let me restrain my own dog. I understand that not everyone is able to properly restrain their dog, but if they CAN, I don't see why it's a problem.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 PM
overdogged

One of the doctors I work for typically draws blood for heartworm tests in the room unless the dog is especially difficult, but pretty much everyone else goes to the back (for nail trims as well). There's more room, there's better light, there isn't an anxious owner hovering over the dog's face, and it frees up the doctor's time to discuss things with the client without distraction. It is amazing to me how many people insist that their dog won't bite them even if the doctor is doing something potentially painful (palpating an injury for example) or invasive (rectal exam). I'm glad you believe that, but please take your face out of Fluffy's face just in case. Dogs can be unpredictable if they're in pain.

I don't know-- I've been on the other side of the table a few times with my dogs' referrals. It is anxiety-producing to have my dog taken away from me, but at the same time, I need to trust the people at the clinic to treat my dog well even away from me, or I need to find a different clinic.

Yes we will respect an owner's wishes if they strongly object to it, and we have a few dogs who we do in the room with the owner restraining because they're simply better that way (our police dogs for example, and a few nail trim dogs). But most of the time it is easier for everybody to take the dog to the back.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It is anxiety-producing to have my dog taken away from me, but at the same time, I need to trust the people at the clinic to treat my dog well even away from me, or I need to find a different clinic.
A really good point, and part of the reason I'm no longer with that vet. I remember talking to someone about the concerns I had, and saying "I really am not worried about all the usual stuff like having him do yearly exams, but I think about leaving one of my dogs there for a dental, and my stomach drops". But by the same token, the staff shouldn't be doing anything to my dog that they wouldn't be 100% comfortable doing in front of me.

I'll see what the vet says. It's one of the things I usually ask about ahead of time, along with how comfortable they are with the vaccine schedule I use, but I was just so relieved to find a vet that I like and Gusto liked (as well as Gusto likes anyone), I had my dogs transferred over without the pre-move questions.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Big Dog

At our Vet they take the dogs out back for any blood draws, etc. and I do not mind. The only time I have gone in the back was to help out with a female that had to have a C-section and they needed extra hands.

I have no problem leaving a dog there for dentals, spays, etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

For me it's all about my overall trust of the staff.
I used to be a little touchy about "going to the back" but at the end of the day, when I found the right clinic with the right people..and now I am pretty ok with it.

and I don't want him associating me with blood draws lol let him hate them .
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Water Junkie

I think it depends on the owner, vet, and dog.

I honestly don't remember too terribly much past a year or two with our vet, simply because I was younger and my parents did most everything. But now that I've started taking my dogs to the vet (especially Blaze) and built up a rapport with the vet and techs, they've allowed me to help restrain both my dogs. Mainly because they both do better when I'm present. We tried where I'm not in the picture (standing or sitting out of the way in the room while they work) and for both dogs they did loads better when I was touching them.

My vet does blood draws, gives vaccines, nail trims, and exams in the room. He's allowed me multiple times to see go into the backroom and see xrays and let Blaze walk back off leash from the xray room to the exam room (more like Blaze ran back to the exam room where I was and quickly sat down at my feet).

So yeah, I dunno. Would they let your average owner do all this? Probably not and I see why. I'm not huddling over the dog, awwing at missed blood draws, or saying 'poor fluffy' the whole time. I understand they have to do what they have to do. I want to know what's going on with my dog probably more than your average Joe and I'm really grateful they've allowed me to be a part of the exam. However, if they say they need to take him into the backroom to do something, I don't have a problem with it either.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

I haven't had to have my dogs moved to the back for blood draws. My old vet did it right there in the room. I was allowed to hold Ivans head/muzzle for them and a vet tech would hold the rest of him still. With Ivan I can get him to do things and manipulate him in ways he simply will not let others do. And like with Bostons Meg, he has issues with being taken away from me.