Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Fred discovered he has a behind today we spent a few mins working with his food dish and he was starting to pivot round it!

Took some time, at first he thought I was clicking for some silly tap dance (which was very cute, must get him tap dancing lol).

Huzzah!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

I'm teaching Elsie go outs, and she's doing really great, except sometimes she decides to do a figure eight between me and the cone on her way back.

I shouldn't laugh at her confusion, and I know the solution is to take a few steps backward and make sure she's solid first, but it is really funny.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Fable's resource guarding is getting better. She never guards from me, but she gets very upset if any other animal goes near her when she's eating. This morning I (accidentally) dropped some loose kibbles and Fable and Millie ate them from the same spot without Fable fussing at all. My little spaz happily shared with Millie. It sounds like such a tiny thing, but it's the first time it's happened in about a year.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Pan had an awesome session doing some FR leg bites on my friend. If she could only realize that strange men can be fun too.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Show Dog

I have been working really hard on getting the heel position I wanted and in the last week it's finally come together. Couldn't be happier! Some video as I am super proud of my girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrY8_OuYSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx6hXSSfsHA

She was super revved up to work when I bought her out, so her backwards heeling was messier than it usually is. However can't fault her enthusiasm!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia's nosework alerts are coming along very well. We had a really good session this morning and she's really really great to watch work.

Summer.... is still realizing she can search other places other than my training facility... She keeps stopping and offering me tricks.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
The Monster.

I've always thought that the pinacle of dog training was to have the ability to walk your dog off leash (and of course, have the dog respond to your cues whilst doing so). Cohen has always been reliable off leash in parks but I didn't trust her near the road.

I just moved to a more suburban area with several parks/paths nearby where I walk the dogs off leash. Vehicle traffic is minimal, so one rainy evening I decided to see how Cohen does walking down the road off leash, and she did wonderfully. Since then I've been taking her out off leash to the nearby park in the mornings and she continues to impress me. She'll walk at heel, she'll notice but not chase squirrels, she doesn't stop to sniff, she ignores passing dogs. I've been reinforcing her heavily. I'm totally over the moon about it. She clearly understands the cue to walk at heel vs. her release of "go play" when we hit the park, and she'll dash off and run happy circles when we get there.

I think the change of scenery plus her coming up on 4 years old is doing wonders for laying the groundwork for good behaviour. And the training too, of course. It's nice to feel like I can start to live life off leash like I've always wanted. I didn't think it'd ever be possible with her.

Now, I know she's still a dog, and that mistakes happen, trust can backfire and leashes are there for more reasons than just keeping the dog at arm's reach, so I don't plan on abusing it. It's just a great feeling to be able to meet previously unattainable goals like that.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Silence, peasants.

I'm making this live again

I took out the clicker and some treats for one of our daily training sessions a couple days ago, and Wesley started offering a really nice, animated sproing into a stand from a sit/down. 'Stand' has never really stuck in his brain (tried to target train it multiple times but he never caught on), and really pleased that this appeared out of nowhere, lol.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I'm making this live again

I took out the clicker and some treats for one of our daily training sessions a couple days ago, and Wesley started offering a really nice, animated sproing into a stand from a sit/down. 'Stand' has never really stuck in his brain (tried to target train it multiple times but he never caught on), and really pleased that this appeared out of nowhere, lol.
Good job! Stand is tough for me with some dogs!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM
such sights to show you

Tonight, Squash recalled past a dude that was hanging out at the open (gated) warehouse door watching our class for awhile (I think he was one of the other people's SO). He slowed way down and watched the guy as he walked by him, but he didn't stop and he didn't veer, and he ended up where he was supposed to be in a nice front. <3

ALSO there is a dog that comes to class sometimes, a young malamute, and I think he and Squash need to get a room or something. They seem completely enamored with each other. Tonight Squash had a bit of leash frustration not being able to reach him before class started, but then did the most perfectly attentive figure eights (and being the post) with that dog in his group. <3 <3

He's the best boy. BEST. BOY.