Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Omg, has anyone NOT had a dog do the zoomies at a trial?
ME! We'll see how long that lasts. If summer repeats this last weekend's class then we definitely will.

Here's my boring update:

Tonight was the first time I really decided to work 'weaves' at home since having my realization I suck at training weaves and then stopping to figure out what I'm doing.

I've realized my dogs understand shaping and that clickers are motivating to them. So I have brought out the clicker. My trainer had also independently suggested shaping the weaves for my dogs since they were struggling.

Summer is doing 3 poles now with a few inches of space between them and it is going well. I did 2 sessions tonight and she was very happy and trying to go with some speed. Overall very good session. I'm pretty sure it's not the best way to train weaves but 2x2s were just not working for us (me in particular). Maybe it'll be the best method eventually for me once I get more experience. So if we don't have the fastest/most reliable weaves I'm just not sweating it.

With Mia... I am still seeing some fallout from pushing her too hard and confusing her and getting frustrated by the weaves. Last night at class she was happily doing 2 poles but tonight in the yard (where the 'worst' happened from her experience) she was starting to stress after the first rep. So... we decided to play instead. We did some chase games and I used the clicker to keep her engaged. She was stressing by sniffing and just disengaging. I'd run to one side of the yard and she'd chase me, click, treat. Run to the other side, click treat. Run again then ask for a hi five or spin, click treat. By the end of the session I had a dog that was happy again to play in the yard and not worrying. I don't think we're even going to approach weaves at all till after the trial and it will be sloooowly.

I will be honest I feel a little like a jerk for letting my 'needing to have dogs that weave' come before my dogs having fun. Lesson learned the hard way. I guess some have to be learned that way.

Then we did a short play session with each girl and the tug. Summer did good and Mia started really getting into it in the yard, which was great. She was crouching and would jump up and bite at the tug when I'd show it to her. So... no weave progress really but I'm back on my way to a happy dog.

Next week I'm going to get there early to just do some chase games with Mia. I'm also going to skip weaves at all with her in class for a while.