Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,849
Default

I've been researching for a short time, but to be honest none of the small dogs that 'fit' appeal to me. I would very much like to go bigger, but I'm unsure if I am able to provide adequate exercise.
*I need a dog that would be okay if a human is not home 10 - 2:30
*On weekdays realistically get about 20mins of outdoor, blood pumping exercise. Usually 10mins in the morning and then 10/15mins in the evening
*On weekends I'm talking TONs of exercise. Camping, hiking in woods, crossing fields, traveling, shopping (had to be honest ) I want a dog that will keep up with me and yet not be overly hyper that I can't keep up with him!
*Has to get along with current, smaller dogs, and a cat

I'd a like short hair, but isn't necisary and I'm not worried about shedding.
And I'm worried that a dog that needs to be dominent all the time would stress Maddie out
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-30-2005, 12:38 PM
tessa_s212
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Brattina, some of the larger working breeds can be very laid back, yet very energetic when it comes to playing and being active. I'm not sure how large you'd actually want to go though!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Brattina, I'd really like to see you check out some GSD rescues - possibly looking at some young adult females . . . I think one could make you very happy - and that's taking into account everything I've learned about you in the long time I've known you here
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Giny's Avatar
Giny Giny is offline
:( only one :(
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88
I've been researching for a short time, but to be honest none of the small dogs that 'fit' appeal to me. I would very much like to go bigger, but I'm unsure if I am able to provide adequate exercise.
*I need a dog that would be okay if a human is not home 10 - 2:30
*On weekdays realistically get about 20mins of outdoor, blood pumping exercise. Usually 10mins in the morning and then 10/15mins in the evening
*On weekends I'm talking TONs of exercise. Camping, hiking in woods, crossing fields, traveling, shopping (had to be honest ) I want a dog that will keep up with me and yet not be overly hyper that I can't keep up with him!
*Has to get along with current, smaller dogs, and a cat

I'd a like short hair, but isn't necisary and I'm not worried about shedding.
And I'm worried that a dog that needs to be dominent all the time would stress Maddie out
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if someone already mention this but have you thought about adopting a Greyhound? Retired Racers sounds like something you may be interested in. They aren't hyper dogs, all they require is a good run a few times a week. Many rescues regularly test the dogs to make sure they get along with smaller dogs and cats. Just a thought.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if someone already mention this but have you thought about adopting a Greyhound? Retired Racers sounds like something you may be interested in. They aren't hyper dogs, all they require is a good run a few times a week. Many rescues regularly test the dogs to make sure they get along with smaller dogs and cats. Just a thought.
I love Greyhounds, but the whole off-leash greyhound thing is a big no-no.
Thanks, though

Quote:
Brattina, I'd really like to see you check out some GSD rescues - possibly looking at some young adult females . . . I think one could make you very happy - and that's taking into account everything I've learned about you in the long time I've known you here
Hey, Renee, you may have something there Thanks so much for that. I'm going to do some more research on the breed, keep my eyes and ears open about the shelter/pound/rescues around here and possibly contact a breed specific rescue if not for anything else but information at least.
Wow, I don't know why I never even thought of a GSD (or possible GSD x)
Now I'm kind of excited
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 AM
joce's Avatar
joce joce is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,207
Default

http://www.thedogguydon.com/Dog_Adoptions.html


check ehre occasionally. he seems to get a lot of shepherds and shepherd mixes in.on petfinder right now he does have a shepherd,not sure how up to date that is though. Our pound gets them a lot to but they haven't updated the site in a loooong time.
__________________


If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber

Last edited by joce; 01-05-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,849
Default

That's because the pound switched back to using Petfinder Joce Tricked me too. I forgot about Don, thanks for the reminder and the link
Edit: they just had one that had a litter of pups while in her cage while people (including my father) watched. She was shipped to the APL...
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site