Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I've been researching for a short time, but to be honest none of the small dogs that 'fit' appeal to me. I would very much like to go bigger, but I'm unsure if I am able to provide adequate exercise.
*I need a dog that would be okay if a human is not home 10 - 2:30
*On weekdays realistically get about 20mins of outdoor, blood pumping exercise. Usually 10mins in the morning and then 10/15mins in the evening
*On weekends I'm talking TONs of exercise. Camping, hiking in woods, crossing fields, traveling, shopping (had to be honest ) I want a dog that will keep up with me and yet not be overly hyper that I can't keep up with him!
*Has to get along with current, smaller dogs, and a cat

I'd a like short hair, but isn't necisary and I'm not worried about shedding.
And I'm worried that a dog that needs to be dominent all the time would stress Maddie out

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-30-2005, 12:38 PM
tessa_s212

Brattina, some of the larger working breeds can be very laid back, yet very energetic when it comes to playing and being active. I'm not sure how large you'd actually want to go though!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Felurian

Brattina, I'd really like to see you check out some GSD rescues - possibly looking at some young adult females . . . I think one could make you very happy - and that's taking into account everything I've learned about you in the long time I've known you here

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
:( only one :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88
I've been researching for a short time, but to be honest none of the small dogs that 'fit' appeal to me. I would very much like to go bigger, but I'm unsure if I am able to provide adequate exercise.
*I need a dog that would be okay if a human is not home 10 - 2:30
*On weekdays realistically get about 20mins of outdoor, blood pumping exercise. Usually 10mins in the morning and then 10/15mins in the evening
*On weekends I'm talking TONs of exercise. Camping, hiking in woods, crossing fields, traveling, shopping (had to be honest ) I want a dog that will keep up with me and yet not be overly hyper that I can't keep up with him!
*Has to get along with current, smaller dogs, and a cat

I'd a like short hair, but isn't necisary and I'm not worried about shedding.
And I'm worried that a dog that needs to be dominent all the time would stress Maddie out
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if someone already mention this but have you thought about adopting a Greyhound? Retired Racers sounds like something you may be interested in. They aren't hyper dogs, all they require is a good run a few times a week. Many rescues regularly test the dogs to make sure they get along with smaller dogs and cats. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if someone already mention this but have you thought about adopting a Greyhound? Retired Racers sounds like something you may be interested in. They aren't hyper dogs, all they require is a good run a few times a week. Many rescues regularly test the dogs to make sure they get along with smaller dogs and cats. Just a thought.
I love Greyhounds, but the whole off-leash greyhound thing is a big no-no.
Thanks, though

Quote:
Brattina, I'd really like to see you check out some GSD rescues - possibly looking at some young adult females . . . I think one could make you very happy - and that's taking into account everything I've learned about you in the long time I've known you here
Hey, Renee, you may have something there Thanks so much for that. I'm going to do some more research on the breed, keep my eyes and ears open about the shelter/pound/rescues around here and possibly contact a breed specific rescue if not for anything else but information at least.
Wow, I don't know why I never even thought of a GSD (or possible GSD x)
Now I'm kind of excited

Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

http://www.thedogguydon.com/Dog_Adoptions.html

check ehre occasionally. he seems to get a lot of shepherds and shepherd mixes in.on petfinder right now he does have a shepherd,not sure how up to date that is though. Our pound gets them a lot to but they haven't updated the site in a loooong time.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber

Last edited by joce; 01-05-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:24 PM

That's because the pound switched back to using Petfinder Joce Tricked me too. I forgot about Don, thanks for the reminder and the link
Edit: they just had one that had a litter of pups while in her cage while people (including my father) watched. She was shipped to the APL...