Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm All Ears

Clicker training the weaves as a shaping exercise is really helping that stress. I think she just did not know what to do (my fault) and training suddenly was not fun. And I think she needs more rewards in long sequences than Summer does. Mia's just a lot more sensitive that way but I am glad I'm starting to put two and two together.

I am also noticing the clicker is really helping to motivate her and she gets more excited for it. I think she is thinking of it more as a game now and a game she knows how to play.

Beanie I had an awful week last week training and felt like I sucked at it and my dog was too stressy. I took a week of no training and then was able to come yesterday with a new attitude and new game plan. I don't think my dogs are trial ready but.... We'll see. In just doing gamblers with Mia and not worrying about how we do just that we have fun. I'm pretty sure that Summer will provably go crazy running around the ring but hopefully it'll be fun. I just realize with Summer I don't have the luxury of time to really perfect things if I want to trial. As long as we have fun... That's our goal. I see people around here trialling at all sorts of levels and dogs that don't get off the start line or run out the ring or go crazy doing all sorts or stuff in the ring or shut down or poop in the rig. Etc etc etc. so I wouldn't worry about being fabulous if it were me.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Behavior Nerd

Beanie, you know what's best for you, but keep in mind that Pay doesn't have to be perfect, especially not his first time out. Kestrel really wasn't ready for his first trial, but we entered a couple classes just to see where he was. I compete in USDAA, so we did have more options - I entered him only in games classes until this year because I wanted the flexibility they offered, and while he doesn't Q at the amazing rate that Z does, we see progress each time and I'm learning to love running him, even though we sometimes end up as the comedy act.

Could you enter him just in T2B or Jumpers? Not sure how AKC works when it comes to just entering games type classes, but for Kes, we had the most success with Snooker and Jumpers with Gamblers and Relay also being options before the structure and complexity of Standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Clicker training the weaves as a shaping exercise is really helping that stress. I think she just did not know what to do (my fault) and training suddenly was not fun.
I had so many issues with Kes' weaves because he ended up with about 3 instructors during that period of time. When I decided to just shape it (after doing channels, then 2x2s, then frustration quitting for 6 months) it "clicked" amazingly - I think Kes, too, just needed a clearer idea of what I wanted. This trial was our first time on weaves outside of our home practice since I switched technique and I really couldn't ask for much more than we saw given the huge jump in criteria!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
A lot of things... just an overwhelming feeling that he's not ready. Worried about wasting a lot of money to have him be not ready. I'm not confident his contacts will be where I want them by trial time (I have a month still, but only another week and a half to decide to pull him and get my money back, and I can't afford to pull after close and not get my money back.) I don't want to take him in a ring not ready and just have a total mess to try and clean up later.
If you're concerned about contacts, have you thought about entering just Jumpers, or JWW (not sure which venue you were entering)? Or in Gamblers/FAST you can usually pick your obstacles to avoid contacts, if you choose. I know many people who choose to start their green dogs in JWW only, to get the ring experience without as much obstacle performance pressure.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Beanie, how old is Payton?
He just turned two in May. 25 months.
I know that's really not old. Technically he would be trialing before Auggie did age-wise, but I also didn't start training with Auggie until he was a year old. I mean, admittedly I have never trained a dog 90% on my own before either, so I guess it's no surprise if it takes longer. And here I go comparing him to Auggie again. He is not Auggie.
It just feels like it is old, because friends have gotten puppies and some of them have been trialing for AGES - one of them is already in Excellent - and Payton hasn't even trialed once. I know I shouldn't be benchmarking based on other people, but it does make me feel like a big fat failure that I can't get my dog in the ring.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sure what to do. The local trial (the first one he's in, 20th-21st) I did enter him just in JWW. It is indoors and I really don't like to trial indoors there, and for Payton, I really just wanted his first trial to just be easy and fun for him, so no standard. They have a fun run at the club this Saturday, but of course the trial closes on Friday. I guess I could look at the trial as very expensive practice. Get him in a ring. Get him measured by a judge. Stuff like that.

I entered him in a trial we have to travel for on the 27th-28th, and there was no way I was going to drive three hours and book an expensive hotel (no cheap hotels by this trial) just to put him in a single class, so I did JWW and Standard both. I really should just pull him out of that one, cancel my hotel, and be done with that, because it's too expensive to have him fail spectacularly.

There's an awful lot of pressure to not fail for a variety of reasons. I'm not exaggerating when I say somebody will be waiting for us to fail because it proves their point every time Payton struggles or fails that I'm a stupid idiot for not giving my dog physical corrections. I've had this confrontation multiple times already and I just don't want to have it again...
And clearly I have piled all my hopes and dreams that didn't pan out with Auggie on Payton, which also isn't fair or right. There is too much pressure on the dog and too much pressure on me and I really wish we could just play the **** game instead of worrying about other things.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
There's an awful lot of pressure to not fail for a variety of reasons. I'm not exaggerating when I say somebody will be waiting for us to fail because it proves their point every time Payton struggles or fails that I'm a stupid idiot for not giving my dog physical corrections. I've had this confrontation multiple times already and I just don't want to have it again...
And clearly I have piled all my hopes and dreams that didn't pan out with Auggie on Payton, which also isn't fair or right. There is too much pressure on the dog and too much pressure on me and I really wish we could just play the **** game instead of worrying about other things.
That's really frustrating that you have to deal with that, and I certainly see why you're feeling over-pressured by the situation. (and somebody thinks you should use physical corrections for agility? WTH? Do they like slow dogs?)

Anyway, if you feel that it's just too much, I can sure see why you'd want to just wait to start trialing, and it won't hurt if you do. If it were me, I'd probably pull from the traveling trial, because yes, that's a lot of money, and a lot of pressure. But I'd probably run JWW at your local trial, because I really do like to get my youngsters out early and let them get used to the experience, while my expectations aren't high. That may not be the best choice for you, though, you have to decide that for yourself.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm All Ears

Oh man... I'm not sure my entry went through for the trial. I brought my paperwork but forgot to write in their usdaa numbers so I emailed them on Thursday but I guess she didn't see my email? She emailed me asking for hem late Friday on the closing date but I didn't see it till now.

Kind of bummed.

Eta: well I have confirmation emails that they're entered. Hopefully we are.

Note to self: be more organized and don't waffle on a decision for weeks until the closing date for the trial.

Last edited by Laurelin; 07-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, I asked my mom's opinion and she told me I should keep him in the trial here and she will go with me and try to run interference. But she agrees on pulling him from the other trial because it's expensive.
I told her about a trial in Indy in mid-August I was thinking about, because it's closer, I like Indy, and the hotels are cheaper, and she said she would go with me to that one too, so I should enter it. That one closes after the local trial, so if it's REALLY a disaster, I can pull from that one too.

and I decided to enter Auggie in jumpers one day in Indy, because he really likes that club and I think he'll have fun. And then he gets to go under the guise of actually being an entered dog. And if Payton does terribly it's okay because I will get to run Auggie and nothing else will really matter at that point.

So... I guess I'll keep him entered here. and just see what happens...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if this helps but hopefully it does

http://agiledogtraining.wordpress.co...ity-mojo-back/

http://agiledogtraining.wordpress.com/2011/10/
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Oh man... I'm not sure my entry went through for the trial. I brought my paperwork but forgot to write in their usdaa numbers so I emailed them on Thursday but I guess she didn't see my email? She emailed me asking for hem late Friday on the closing date but I didn't see it till now.

Kind of bummed.

Eta: well I have confirmation emails that they're entered. Hopefully we are.

Note to self: be more organized and don't waffle on a decision for weeks until the closing date for the trial.
A good thing about USDAA is they aren't as rigid about things like closing dates as the AKC is. I mean, in a sense, it's a good thing that the AKC has very specific criteria, because it eliminates a certain amount of wondering. But when you tend to procrastinate, a little wiggle room can be a good thing.

So if you're confirmed, I'm sure you're entered. Have fun!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

I don't know why everyone thinks their two year old dogs need to be heavily trialing? Two is not only "not that old"....2 is barely past puppyhood at best. Savvy is just a few months older than Payton and has only gone to a handful of trials and I wasn't really taking any of them seriously. More just putting him in because there was stuff he could do and Whim was going anyway. Honestly, it shouldn't matter what everyone else is doing anyway. I see a lot of people get into Excellent super fast with their young dogs and then struggle when the holes in their training start to be come obvious.

Your mom's suggestion is a good one I think. Look at taking him into JWW as a way to see where you're at in your training and what you need more work on. But mostly, have fun with your young dog and don't expect him to do anything but be young and silly at his first trials. And be silly with him. If he fails epically, laugh and tell him he's very funny. Some of Savvy's runs have been him being wild, getting fault after fault looking somewhat possessed...and me laughing a lot and calling him a nut. And then some, some he's been amazing. And that's how it goes with young dogs

As for the person who is ready to pounce anytime your don't succeed. #@& them. Seriously, why waste your time worrying about what one miserable person thinks about you, your dog and your training methods? So not worth your time and energy to give them the time of day, let alone get upset over having a confrontation. Seriously, I would just totally ignore her and pretend like you don't see or hear her if she speaks to you (I've dealt with my share of such people, seems to come with being a young person involved in dogs...). People like that, you could have a World Champion and they'd still be talking about how your methods don't work, your dog is horrible and blahblahblah. You don't have to prove anything to that person or anyone else.

I really look forward to hearing about Payton's first trial