Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Stuck between "yeah, Payton is ready, we can do this" and "he's not ready and this is a terrible idea."
It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't know there will be people sitting on the sidelines just waiting for me to crash and burn so they can smugly tell me they're right and obviously if I just punch Payton in the face a few times he'll be a much better behaved dog.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
people sitting on the sidelines just waiting for me to crash and burn so they can smugly tell me they're right and obviously if I just punch Payton in the face a few times he'll be a much better behaved dog.
Uhm.. what?!

Punch THEM in the face!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
With Summer right now we're not rewarding much for most runs, just at the end. We've been doing full AKC standard courses with open weaves and no rewards except the weaves. We've done full jumpers courses without anything too. She is pretty used to 17-18 obstacles and no rewards and she keeps up speed the whole time in practice. I am usually set up 'inside the ring' (as in in the fence). We go straight from the crate to the start line generally and then go. Summer seems to find just working very rewarding so I never really worry about her motivation at all.

Mia gets a little less motivated sometimes. It really depends on the obstacles, which was why I was thinking gamblers then just go in and run the dog walk with her a few times. Dog walk and a-frame are her favorites.

If I do the latter with Mia, is it best to tell the judge we're just going to do the dog walk and not go for a Q?
For the first part -- Summer (and Mia) might be fine or they might worry. How many you enter depends mostly on how ready you are to just walk away and not run some of the courses if the dogs are stressed out. If you don't think you can easily walk away, then don't enter everything. It's hard for me -- I've scratched a few runs in my time but definitely don't like doing it -- but some people find it more difficult than others. Since it's your first trial as well as theirs I would be inclined to only enter a few things, but that's just me.

As for the end, I know in AKC the judges wouldn't mind at all. Go in, set up like normal, run whatever you are going to run, wave a thank you to the judge, make your exit. In FAST folks do that sort of thing sometimes, especially with green dogs. It's much less common in standard/jumpers but does happen -- as long as you don't violate rules or take it to the level of training in the ring, it's not a big deal. USDAA could be more picky about it though, I don't know.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Gamblers is a tricky one. Some judges up here will consider it unsportsmanlike to not even try the end gamble or even to do a couple obstacles and leave since its not a set course. Depends completely on the judge of course and USDAA could have judges who aren't as sticky about it.
Hmmm that's interesting to know. The USDAA trials I've been to have had very very understanding judges from what I've seen.

My trainer and I definitely talked about not fixing anything. She is telling me my dogs are doing amazing and thinks I'm underestimating Mia especially. I'm not sure just with her propensity to be weird on occasion.

I'm anxious to see what Summer does, she's just such a straightforward kind of dog that maybe I have my sights set too high with her. I am really thinking about entering her Sat and Sunday for 2 runs each day and just... seeing what happens. If I need to pull her, I will. I won't be out but $30 if I pull her from Sunday's runs.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

So, I've gone to watch a few Master Handling Drop-In classes just to kind of see if agility is something I really want to invest in/practice taking pictures.

And, on a whim, I signed myself up for a drop in class with Lucy. I warned the instructor that we are WAY behind everyone else, but that I thought it would be a super good experience. She was cool with it, yadda yadda. However, I'm now in full panic mode. I'M NOT READY FOR THIS AT ALL. EVERYBODY ELSE IS JUST GOING TO BE WAITING FOR ME. She said that even if I don't drill, she doesn't care. But still. Lucy hasn't even seen a tunnel (that's the only thing they drill with other than jumps for this class so far). I've done a little bit of follow work and practicing some turns and a liiiiittle bit of send work, but lord. I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF SHE CAN DO MORE THAN THREE JUMPS IN A ROW.

so many mixed feelings right now.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Show Dog

Here's Karma learning to weave! This was from her first two sessions from yesterday, but now we're breaking until she's healed from her spay...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VnUqGTp7Wk
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Don't even begin to hesitate to do whatever you need to in the ring in USDAA. I didn't even try the gamble with Gusto his first time. Just ran myself right over the line and ran it next to him. I've left the ring with Meg to jackpot stuff that I know was worrying her. I generally just say a cheerful "Thank you!" to the judge as we run on by. I've never seen or heard a single complaint.

I have a friend who has been working through "I can't weave in the ring" issues with her masters dog, and she often says to the judge as she's heading to the weaves "if she gets this we are headed out". Again, never a complaint.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
So, I've gone to watch a few Master Handling Drop-In classes just to kind of see if agility is something I really want to invest in/practice taking pictures.

And, on a whim, I signed myself up for a drop in class with Lucy. I warned the instructor that we are WAY behind everyone else, but that I thought it would be a super good experience. She was cool with it, yadda yadda. However, I'm now in full panic mode. I'M NOT READY FOR THIS AT ALL. EVERYBODY ELSE IS JUST GOING TO BE WAITING FOR ME. She said that even if I don't drill, she doesn't care. But still. Lucy hasn't even seen a tunnel (that's the only thing they drill with other than jumps for this class so far). I've done a little bit of follow work and practicing some turns and a liiiiittle bit of send work, but lord. I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF SHE CAN DO MORE THAN THREE JUMPS IN A ROW.

so many mixed feelings right now.
Why not start with foundations?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Talon is doing so good with his agility foundations class! And I really really enjoy doing it with him. However, we've decided to forgo anymore agility classes, at least for a while.

Talon has decided to not only start going through a second fear period, he also decided that barking dogs are nuts and need to be put down. >_< Last agility class the instructors dog was there in a wire cage. Talon ran off course for a second while I was talking to the instructor to sniff the new dog, it was fine until her dog started barking and hitting the bars (over-excited rather than aggressive). Talon was NOT a happy camper and went all teeth and barking. The rest of the class he was fine, no running at the dog, BUT he would start barking in his crate and growling when her dog was barking, this is not usual for Talon. He even refused to go into his crate at one point. Again, not usual at all! He goes in his crate happily, and is the quietest, most content dog there. Not that day.

So I've decided, to focus on obedience and socialization while we work through this fear period. He is fine with other dogs, it's only when they get really barky he seems unnerved. It may have to do with the terrier that attacked him as well.

So I'm super sad. I have to keep reminding myself he's young, I have plenty of time.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Don't even begin to hesitate to do whatever you need to in the ring in USDAA. I didn't even try the gamble with Gusto his first time. Just ran myself right over the line and ran it next to him. I've left the ring with Meg to jackpot stuff that I know was worrying her. I generally just say a cheerful "Thank you!" to the judge as we run on by. I've never seen or heard a single complaint.

I have a friend who has been working through "I can't weave in the ring" issues with her masters dog, and she often says to the judge as she's heading to the weaves "if she gets this we are headed out". Again, never a complaint.
I would agree that the USDAA judges will let you do what you need to do with your dog.

Also, a couple weeks ago, I was working the Starters/Advanced ring for my club's trial (I couldn't afford to enter myself, so I just went out and worked all day), and we had the most amazingly supportive judge I've ever encountered in my life. Her name was Ann Kitchen, and she was maybe the most +R person I've ever come across, she had a nice comment for every team in her ring. So I'd recommend that any newbie starting out who has the chance to enter under her, do so.