Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Always, always rewarding on the reward line, too. That's part of the foundations but it has helped B look for his reward away from me and specifically in front of him.
Yes, I definitely make sure I always do this because I didn't with Frag for the longest time when we were starting out and it really crippled his ability to work away from me and drive forward.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm All Ears

So I'm sitting her with my entry forms trying to decide what to enter... I have until tomorrow, LOL.

My gut is saying 'enter Mia in one gamblers run and that's it. Enter Summer in jumpers and gamblers either one or two days.' Then I have this little voice saying 'enter Summer in ALLLLLL the things.'
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

How important is the entry fee? If you sign up for everything and she's stressing, would you be okay pulling her and forfeiting the money?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Trying to decide on that.

Is it totally naive to expect Summer to do really well handling he environment because she just... Always does. I think the worst would be she runs around and visits the ring crew. I can't see her stress about it at all but could be wrong. I am considering doing jumpers and gamblers two days.

Mia I think might stress and I think I will be just doing gamblers but maybe do gamblers sat and Sunday? Not sure yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Trying to decide on that.

Is it totally naive to expect Summer to do really well handling he environment because she just... Always does. I think the worst would be she runs around and visits the ring crew. I can't see her stress about it at all but could be wrong. I am considering doing jumpers and gamblers two days.

Mia I think might stress and I think I will be just doing gamblers but maybe do gamblers sat and Sunday? Not sure yet.
Are there any fun matches you can get to before trialing?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Nope not before this trial. This is a home club trial (but in a different location).
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

When you train, how much of a routine are you in? Treats on a chair outside the ring, walk in, leash off, run, leash on, go get treats? Or are you still carrying stuff in your pocket, rewarding periodically, etc?

If I could go back and do it again, my first few trials would be "run the outside loop and exit" (warning the gate steward/judge ahead of time). Lucy did great her first trial...and then we regressed majorly because she got ring wise and learned nothing good happened inside the ring.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm All Ears

With Summer right now we're not rewarding much for most runs, just at the end. We've been doing full AKC standard courses with open weaves and no rewards except the weaves. We've done full jumpers courses without anything too. She is pretty used to 17-18 obstacles and no rewards and she keeps up speed the whole time in practice. I am usually set up 'inside the ring' (as in in the fence). We go straight from the crate to the start line generally and then go. Summer seems to find just working very rewarding so I never really worry about her motivation at all.

Mia gets a little less motivated sometimes. It really depends on the obstacles, which was why I was thinking gamblers then just go in and run the dog walk with her a few times. Dog walk and a-frame are her favorites.

If I do the latter with Mia, is it best to tell the judge we're just going to do the dog walk and not go for a Q?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

You'll have to go early to get measured, right? I'd talk to the judge then and just tell him/her it's your first trial, you have baby green dogs and you are going to make reinforcing courses for them. If you want to do contacts with Mia during gamblers, see if there's a way to make it a loop (not u-turning to go back, as that can be demotivating)

I've only ever had judges say positive things about my choice to minimize the course for my dog.

Maybe Summer is amazing and everything will work perfectly. With Lucy, we'd been running full length masters level AKC courses for a year before our first trial, and she still had major, major regression and stress in the new environment. In retrospect, it would have been better to play it safe and build a solid foundation.

ALSO, DON'T FIX ANYTHING. Make the ring fun, make it happy, just keep running! Pay for engagement and enthusiasm.

My trainer says your first year of trialing is strictly for gathering information. Is your dog more successful crated inside, or in the car? Pulled from the crate 10 minutes or 10 seconds before their run? What is your warm up strategy? Do they run better from a sit/stay or a drop and go? Where are your weak points in training? It's not the place to solve, it's the place to observe and take that info back to training to work through. (easier said than done)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Sport Model Pug

Gamblers is a tricky one. Some judges up here will consider it unsportsmanlike to not even try the end gamble or even to do a couple obstacles and leave since its not a set course. Depends completely on the judge of course and USDAA could have judges who aren't as sticky about it.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug